1:18 Hobbyboss AV-8B Harrier

patricksparks

12 hours ago, patricksparks said:

Photo etched parts, can't recall the brand right now, will try to let you know !

Here are the photo-etched parts that I am using, the Harrier uses mostly slotted screws on it's access panels but some are phillips heads, most notably the access panels on both sides of the cockpit. The fairing covers that I put on top of the wing appear in photos to have socket head(allen)screws as do the fairing in front of the forward rotating engine ducts, for these I'm using the washers from the Scale Motorsport set, I also used these washers for the bases of my switches on the instrument panel and side consoles.You have to study alot of photos to try and see what fasteners are where, and I have been using the .8 MM diameter screw heads from the sets and a .048"  dia drill to get the heads to set flush, I hold the drill between two fingers and twist it back and forth twice, just enough to get the full diameter of the drill into the surface, time consuming but worth the look.

9JdcioW.jpg

Bouncing around a bit on the Harrier, worked on the nose today, there needed to be flanges added to the fairing in front of the windscreen, there will be fasteners added to it. The optical lens is a piece of blue mirrorized styene, punched out to fit the hole in the kit's part and I punched out a styrene washer to go around it. Also added a small piece of aluminum tube that I squeezed into an oval on the side of the radome, don't what it is but you can see it in photos of the real thing, it is only on the right side of the nose.

cTrFgRP.jpgoHL5x4u.jpg1OIIIt5.jpg2eSpvO4.jpg

Spent a couple hours putting in some more screw heads..I must have some loose ones in my head..

I used slightly larger screw heads than what I guessed as to what they are on the real thing, I figured the heads are probably in the 5/8"-3/4" diameter range, the heads I used are about 1" in scale at first I thought they might look too big but when paint goes over them they look alot smaller than what the raw brass looks like.

9NL4o2g.jpg3adeEZQ.jpgsOo5PER.jpg