Jump to content
patricksparks

1:18 Hobbyboss AV-8B Harrier

Recommended Posts

One thing I forgot to mention that might be of help to anyone needing 1/18 scale instrument dials. I went on the internet and found a flat image in color that reprsents the Harrier's panel, I printed and then figured out what size I needed and re-printed. I thought about what to do for clear bezels ? So I ended up spraying a light coat of flat clear on both sides of the printed sheet (this to make sure the ink would'nt start moving from any adhesive that I would be mounting with) I then took regular old clear packing tape and covered the entire printed sheet, next I took the sheet and used my punch set to get the proper diameters. This method worked very good, inexpensive and easy ! 

 

lTeKjeC.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you going to depict "cold and dark" or all lit up Patrick?

The MPCD displays show different things depending on a number of factors including aircraft state as do the various warning lights. I may be able to expand further if you intend to show the aircraft powered up. Some functions are also possible under battery or ground power.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kirk said:

Are you going to depict "cold and dark" or all lit up Patrick?

The MPCD displays show different things depending on a number of factors including aircraft state as do the various warning lights. I may be able to expand further if you intend to show the aircraft powered up. Some functions are also possible under battery or ground power.

Thank you, I'm doing it shut-down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I decided to work on the wings a little bit for a change of scenery, I wanted to remove the leading edge strakes/wing fences I am replacing them with .020 aluminum(I wanted metal for handling strength) I took a razor saw and cut right up against the side of the fences this way I could keep the same line to the wing where the original fences are located. I slipped the aluminum into the slots and traced the fences onto the metal blanks, pulled them out cut them out, piece a cake, right ??? wrong for some stupid reason something told me to look at a photo, sure enough Hobby Boss made the fences the wrong shape...so I made about 8 different ones until I was happy with the shape...I took my sprue cutters and remove as much of the molded fences as I could and then sanded the leading edges out. The really good thing about removing the fence is that you can scrape and sand the entire leading egdes with no obstructions(which needs to be done due to the lack of radius on the kit's leading edges).

 

MjmVtvT.jpgBMLEWGH.jpgW7AAQJg.jpgkUsla4h.jpgu1LzQ7Z.jpggPimPx8.jpgf2ul6HG.jpglrD3RQG.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Patrick I’ve just come across this post and looking through you’ve done an outstanding job so far, I have this kit too and set up a face book page for builds of just this kit.  Can I ask the bits that Harold has done for you in resin can you buy them at all, I’m looking forward to seeing more from this build have a great weekend. 

 

Clive

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fozzie said:

Hi Patrick I’ve just come across this post and looking through you’ve done an outstanding job so far, I have this kit too and set up a face book page for builds of just this kit.  Can I ask the bits that Harold has done for you in resin can you buy them at all, I’m looking forward to seeing more from this build have a great weekend. 

 

Clive

Thank you !!! Harold/AMS RESIN makes the ejection seat and wheels. The parts that I made masters for are the cockpit tub(the tub has the seat rails molded in place), left and right consoles, main instrument panel and shroud, the forward windscreen frame and the left and right cockpit walls, also a filler piece to go behind the seat. You'll have to contact Harold directly, he will sell you copies of them.

Good luck with the build !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I spent a little time on the Harrier this week, I installed the auxillery intake doors on one side of the fuselage, the majority of photos that I've looked at shows Harriers sitting on the ground that aren't running have most of the auxillery doors closed with the exception of the top 3 on both sides of the canopy and the 4th down partially open. I have also seen some photos that I think were taken on a windy day where some of the lower doors were partially open on one side of the aircraft and not the other.

cuEd1jY.jpg4N5uenM.jpgNdGvIvp.jpgPA4lxIF.jpgZgOllfd.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, patricksparks said:

 I installed the auxiliary intake doors on one side of the fuselage, the majority of photos that I've looked at shows Harriers sitting on the ground that aren't running have most of the auxiliary doors closed with the exception of the top 3 on both sides of the canopy and the 4th down partially open. I have also seen some photos that I think were taken on a windy day where some of the lower doors were partially open on one side of the aircraft and not the other.

 

This is quite correct. The doors are on simple hinges and move under gravity and/or air pressure. If you see a Harrier pilot doing walkaround checks, they tend to stick a hand in to check that the doors are moving freely. (Likewise, they push in the doors in the inner intake aft of the seat bulkhead to check the springs are intact).

 

Your attention to detail is transforming this kit Patrick. :thumbsup:

 

PS/ Are you intending to do anything on the top and bottom of the intake bell-mouth? This is an area in which all kits are light on detail but is quite noticeable to anyone looking down the intake.

Edited by Kirk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Kirk said:

 

This is quite correct. The doors are on simple hinges and move under gravity and/or air pressure. If you see a Harrier pilot doing walkaround checks, they tend to stick a hand in to check that the doors are moving freely. (Likewise, they push in the doors in the inner intake aft of the seat bulkhead to check the springs are intact).

 

Your attention to detail is transforming this kit Patrick. :thumbsup:

 

PS/ Are you intending to do anything on the top and bottom of the intake bell-mouth? This is an area in which all kits are light on detail but is quite noticeable to anyone looking down the intake.

I made a new intake to replace the kit part, I'm not sure what is on the top and bottom in there ???HdlbxNK.jpgEuDocxl.jpgnGFg68G.jpgc1jpOWS.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...