1:18 Hobbyboss AV-8B Harrier

patricksparks

The forward Lifting Device recepticle on the kit is way too deep and also the upper wall looks like a castle door the way the rivets are portrayed so I've made a new top and put in some recessed  and raised panels along with Archer rivets to make it look closer to photos, I still have to put in the slot for the actuator arm and the hinges. I installed this plate 3/16" lower inside the recepticle, it's not totally accurate but looks better than whats there.

The original recepticle

fMPT9dK.jpgpyxUXLA.jpgDEerTqW.jpg

On 8/27/2019 at 8:10 AM, patricksparks said:

Don't know if I'm going to do a centerline rack, here is the best photo I have of the centerline.

rJF1YyP.jpg

That's a good shot but, I guess I should have been more specific. I'm looking for shots of the Targeting pod loaded on the center line with the crossover fairing installed.

Steve

Jumping around a bit, I decided to work on the vents on the starboard side of the fuselage. The large vent is big enough that it can be hollowed out , the smaller one would be a task and it's also made of nylon not styrene, so I took some 7/32" aluminum tube and flattened it and cut the end to match the angle of the kit part opened the existing slot on the kit fuselage and inserted the aluminum tube super glue and some of my UV setting filler to bolster it up. I also added some flanges to the large kit vent out of styrene.

DJpVYzu.jpgyYz5Ihk.jpgnHRStvb.jpgZLpGQBk.jpg

Looking great Patrick.

Iirc, that front vent is quite sharped edged and flat sided so a couple of stokes of the file might be a good idea. I think there are notes on this in the Harrier SIG's excellent build documents.

I don't recall exactly where its connected to - only that it comes into play when the water injection is on (at which point soot gets dislodged from the hot section and the exhaust from the rear nozzles goes smokey) so look for videos of Harriers hovering and you should see it venting in case you want a bit of realistic weathering guidance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Not a whole lot of progress, been working on my sci-fy pod. Me and an engineer that I work with decided to buy an ultra violet led resin printer, $350, it prints really well for the cost which I split with my co-worker. He has drawn and printed  some parts for the Harrier, these parts are the "knobs" that are on either side of the wing mounted ordanance racks, 2 different sizes and 2 different styles that go on either side. Also he has printed the sway braces and I have put flat head 080 machine screws with nuts to represent the limiter pads that adjust up to the ordanace hung on the racks. He is also going to print the shackles that will fit inside the rack to attach the sway braces to as well as some other details that go onto the sides of the racks.

SU35toC.jpgMKDHyw0.jpg