1:18 Hobbyboss AV-8B Harrier

patricksparks

I worked on the thrust nozzles a little bit, as some are aware Hobbyboss slide molded these parts so that they would have bosses in them to attach to the rotating set up inside the engine halves(this was all done when it was made for Merit as a pre-built) the big problem with the bosses is that you can see them. I started removing the bosses from the rear set of ducts cut and ground them out and started sanding away what was left and suddenly I realized that all I had to do is cut the molded -in louvers out, clean the inside of the nozzles, make new louvers from card stock, they need a little deatailing anyway, they are just flat walls as they come in the kit, I'll probably emboss some riveting in the card stock before I put the new ones in.

riyE5cV.jpgupaYvei.jpg8KmSvLd.jpgZuElPIC.jpgQ3zE5CW.jpgL2rcD85.jpgr4Rvci7.jpguaOmqca.jpg

Edited by patricksparks

sZtOAwj.jpg

Simply amazing, Patrick.

With all this intricate and perfect detailing going on in your build, I just HAVE to to ask, though: Are you planning to do something about the panellines on this kit? They seem to be more like trenches if not downright 'valleys'? ;-)

The vertical line where the nose piece meets the baththub in the above picture seems to be just about right, at least to my eye.

Please forgive any unwarranted intrusions, I know that eliminating and rescribing the lines would be a tedious business...

Cheers

Joerg

4 hours ago, BlackCanopy said:

Simply amazing, Patrick.

With all this intricate and perfect detailing going on in your build, I just HAVE to to ask, though: Are you planning to do something about the panellines on this kit? They seem to be more like trenches if not downright 'valleys'? ;-)

The vertical line where the nose piece meets the baththub in the above picture seems to be just about right, at least to my eye.

Please forgive any unwarranted intrusions, I know that eliminating and rescribing the lines would be a tedious business...

Cheers

Joerg

Thank you for the support, originally I was going to subdue the panel lines, but there are so many issues on this kit to deal with  I'm going to try and just make it look like a Combat Ready  Harrier, they are well used Aircraft, I didn't realize it until I started this build, that these airplanes are really beat up, photos reveal alot of damage and maintainence. It's a great testament to the airframe, it's like the A-10 Warthog, no one thinks that these aircraft should still be in service...EXPERTS ALWAYS

Had to add material to the kit supplied intake liners, for what ever reason they decided to leave them short of the fuselage sides, I also will have to add small fillets where they meet up to the fuselage sides. Got the fairing in front of the main fan, it's not quite as long as it should be, this goes back to dimensional errors, I had to cut about a 1/4"  off the front of the engine(second molded in ring) in order to create a larger gap between the fan face and the back of the nose gear bay. I'm not sure where the error is, I don't have drawings, it may be in the overall length of the fuselage, the front landing gear seems to be in the proper place in relationship to the intakes, so I'm just going to go with smoke and mirrors from here out, I really like the way it's starting to look !!!

1E7iJa4.jpgnGFg68G.jpgc1jpOWS.jpgqqOoKn5.jpg