Trumpeter TBF frustrations

inviernos48

I purchased a Trumpeter TBF Avenger in 1/32 scale but, much to my annoyance, the kit came without a list of paint colors required to finish the model. I have attempted to get help from Trumpeter but they just sent me a guide to painting the exterior, which I already have. I am wondering if anyone has a list of colors for this plane with Tamiya paint colors that they can share with me.

I communicated with Stevens International, which distributes Trumpeter in the U.S., but they told me the colors referred to in the instructions are Humbrol, albeit with no names, just numbers. According to a posting on the internet from another frustrated purchaser of this kit, the references are to Gunze-Sanyo, not Humbrol.

I am wondering if perhaps another member has an instruction sheet from another airplane model from Trumpeter that depicts a U.S. Navy plane from the same time period that actually has the colors described accurately. That would mean something like an F6F Hellcat or an SBD Dauntless. These are both models that Trumpeter has modeled in 1/32 so the colors would probably be exactly the same. If anyone can scan the instructions with the correct color list, and sent it to me via email, that would be a huge favor and make me a happy guy.

I am living in Guatemala where there are no local hobby shops I can drop into to shop for the right paints so I need someone in the U.S. to give me a hand with this. I wrote to Trumpeter and got zero help, just a copy of a sheet depicting the external colors which I already had.

Greetings to my fellow modelers from Antigua Guatemala, I place I recommend to one and all. 

Jari,

Thanks very much for your very quick response. Unfortunately, I do not see a list of actual colors. The exterior colors are easy and I already ordered the right set from Mig Jimenez. What I need is a list of colors for the rest of the plane: the interior bits and pieces, engine, cockpit, guns, etc., etc. If you have something like that, I would appreciate it hugely. Otherwise, I will improvise with what common sense and various color depictions of the real plane show me. Still, it would be nice to have something that actually gives me a paint my numbers list of paints which Trumpeter should have included in the kit. Thanks and happy holidays to you and your family.

Andrew

Hi!

I found this;

Here is the accepted reference from Mr. William Reece.

Aug 05, 2011 #2

Grumman TBF-1 / TBF-1C, Avenger. Cockpit: Exactly like the Accurate Miniatures instructions show. FS 34058 Bronze Green forward from the bulkhead with the window (in front of the turret). FS 34151 Interior Green for the rear crew areas. Light Gray (Grumman Gray) inside the cowling, (FS 36440 is very close) and accessory area. The stainless steel Dishpan firewall was unpainted and often quite bright. Torpedo bay: FS 34151. Remember on all of these a/c the general rule is that the wheel bays, landing gear struts, wheel centers, landing flap bays, etc. are the under surface color. On the Avenger the inside of the flap itself was the upper surface color with the inside of the flap well on the under surface of the wing being the bottom color.

Eastern Aircraft (GM) TBM-1, -1C, TBM-3C, -3E Avenger. Cockpit: FS 34151 Interior Green. This also included the crew areas and fuselage interior. Early TBM-1s and 1Cs had cowling interiors like those of the TBF-1 with Non-Specular (flat) Light Gray from the firewall forward except for the dishpan. Later production aircraft would have had everything from the inside of the cowling all the way back in interior green. The landing gear and bays were the undersurface color, i.e. Insignia white bottom would be white. Glossy Sea Blue TBM-3 a/c would have GSB landing gear and flap interiors. The inside of the flaps would be similar to the TBF-1 above.

Good Luck with Your Avenger, It´s a BIG bird in 32!

Stefan :)

Hello Stefan, Thanks for this very comprehensive guide to painting my TBF. Now, if only I can get the paints in time for Christmas I will have something to look forward to in the new year. Do you happen to know which of the mail order houses are quickest? As I say, I live in Guatemala and my daughter is coming from Boston on the 24th to be with us for the holidays. Happy New Year to you and to your family. Thanks again, Andrew

Hello Kevin, Thanks for our advice. I have tried doing this via the various conversion tables online but found it a bit frustrating when some of the color matches didn't seem to make sense, like a sort of burgundy color in the engine compartment and other things that didn't really work when I tried to convert to Tamiya. Maybe I should just use Gunze? Do you have experience with them? Good? Bad? I like Tamiya because it is very easy to work with and flows on with no hassles at all. Thanks again, Andrew

Andrew, your best and simplest method is to get sets.

This one will give you everything you need for the Interior...

https://www.scalehobbyist.com/catagories/Paint_and_Construction/us-aircraft-interior-acrylic-paint-set/AKI00002220/product.php?s=3&t=1&u=2&pg=1&ppp=48&sb=stocknumber&so=a&era=6&p=1&ct=1&v=2

this will give you everything for the exterior...

https://www.scalehobbyist.com/catagories/Paint_and_Construction/air-series-wwii-usn-usmc-aircraft-colors-set/AKI00002230/product.php?s=3&t=1&u=2&pg=1&ppp=48&sb=stocknumber&so=a&era=6&p=1&ct=1&v=2

plus you can have them shipped to her overnight and then she can put them in her luggage, as they are not hazardous.

2 hours ago, inviernos48 said:

Hello Kevin, Thanks for our advice. I have tried doing this via the various conversion tables online but found it a bit frustrating when some of the color matches didn't seem to make sense, like a sort of burgundy color in the engine compartment and other things that didn't really work when I tried to convert to Tamiya. Maybe I should just use Gunze? Do you have experience with them? Good? Bad? I like Tamiya because it is very easy to work with and flows on with no hassles at all. Thanks again, Andrew

No real experience as such, but many here rave about the Mr Color line. I'll soon be buying some more for a Bf 109 that I'm currently working on.

13 hours ago, inviernos48 said:

Hello Stefan, Thanks for this very comprehensive guide to painting my TBF. Now, if only I can get the paints in time for Christmas I will have something to look forward to in the new year. Do you happen to know which of the mail order houses are quickest? As I say, I live in Guatemala and my daughter is coming from Boston on the 24th to be with us for the holidays. Happy New Year to you and to your family. Thanks again, Andrew

Sorry, but I can´t help you much as I live in Sweden, half a world from You.

I suppose some of our American friends can help You.

Cheers!

Stefan

Oh well, I already ordered AK Interactive sets for inside and out. As I say, I am living in Guatemala where there are very few resources available although a lot of people build RC and gliders. Thanks for the advice; when I am back in the USA this summer, and if this TBF doesn't make me completely insane, I will check out Mr. Color for my next build. Andrew