Kitty hawk, Kingfisher.

Phartycr0c

After the Lanc, a change in pace. Iv'e just started down this particular road and was wondering if anyone else on here has had any experience with this particulat kit. 

As usual, i have done my due diligence looking at other builds out there in the wild and am therefore aware of some of the pitfalls and oddities with this build but for some reason, I do seem to be having a little difficulty visualising the instructions if that makes sense an example being the build of the engine parts and the attachment of the exhaust stacks, 

Dunno if its just me or the instructions. 

If it is just me, please dont be afraid to let me know. 

Edited by Phartycr0c

There are some niggles to the kit for sure. I'm at work ATM, but take a look through my builds, as I did a demo build for KHM.

The engine attachments, and canter and tip float attachments can be problematic.

I didn't do it, but I'd suggest pinning the center float.

Dont judge the Kingfisher on the instructions. Similar to the Dragon 110: not as good as youd like. However, the Trojan builds up fantastically, and is a really nice kit to build. The Bronco is one of my ALL time favorite airframes, but the kit has a lot of small problematic issues that can drive you batty.

All 3 kits DO go together well, but some of the engineering choices made on them, it left my head shaking. However............that is NOT to say that makes them unbuildable to me.   Its not going to be an HKM kit, or new tool Has, but the overall fit of the Fisher and the rest is generally good IMHO, its just that some of the things they chose to do are maddening, like a billion ejector pin marks in wells, and 6 sprue attachment points for the tiny ignition ring ect, ect. 

For the Kingfisher, just watch the tip float attachment as the instructions never really tell you about the holes for the tip floats, and as to the center float, the instructions have you but join glue it on with just small locating bumps IIRC. Id suggest using some brass pins and especially JB Weld for the float attachments.

IIRC, I ignored the instructions for the engine mounting, and did it my own way with some cut outs if I can remember right. Might be worth a read through, as it has honestly been long enough I dont recall exactly what I did. 

3 minutes ago, gunnyax said:

Hi there is a build of the kit on the Modelling news. It is done by Nic. He also done the trumpeter P-51C on this forum. It is a nice build.

I recall that one Nic did!   Yes, yes, very well done indeed. 

Hi folks, many thanks for the feedback. 

I have seen the build in Modelling news and to be fair, it was one of the inspirations for me to go down this path. there is also a second nice build on Hyperscale. 

I have downloaded the detailed instructions produced by Glen Hoover relating to the build for this but am yet to read them fully. To be fair, my questions may have already been answered, I just havn't read the pdf through fully yet. 

My intention is to have a go at putting the finished build into a small "waterborne" diorama with the aircraft tied to a jetty or similar. I  want to have a go at modelling water in prep for a slightly larger project I have in mind. 

In terms of the kit being "unbuildable", I don't form that opinion of any kit really, just in this case,  I just cant visualise certain steps which is probably more a "me" issue, I think, although not sure.  Despite the the instruction book, I'm sure with a little application I can get this built without too much difficulty. 

Carrot, In relation to the PE, there is a small "triangular" structure shown to be attached either side of the the rear most float support, however there is only one such structure present in the pe supplied in the kit. Dunno if there is supposed to be one or two, so I opted for none. Im leaving them off. 

All good info and I would add:

paint as many sub-assemblies as you can after the glue dries.  Many parts have small areas for glue.  Paint interfered with the bonding during my build.  Painting engine parts while they were on the sprues for a example was a disaster.

The engine was the most challenging animal for me due it's large parts count.

that great care is needed while removing all small parts (e.g., engine cylinder oil lines, rudder pedals,  gunners swivel ring...).  I used a fine PE saw.

Engine mounts are confusing and I could not tell if I did them correctly until I did not and needed to pull the assembly apart.  I would advise having the engine built with the exhausts to use as sanity check.

Assemble all bulkheads into fuselage using both sides to insure correct alignment while applying glue to one side.  

HTH

Rick

12 minutes ago, Rick Griewski said:

All good info and I would add:

paint as many sub-assemblies as you can after the glue dries.  Many parts have small areas for glue.  Paint interfered with the bonding during my build.  Painting engine parts while they were on the sprues for a example was a disaster.

The engine was the most challenging animal for me due it's large parts count.

that great care is needed while removing all small parts (e.g., engine cylinder oil lines, rudder pedals,  gunners swivel ring...).  I used a fine PE saw.

Engine mounts are confusing and I could not tell if I did them correctly until I did not and needed to pull the assembly apart.  I would advise having the engine built with the exhausts to use as sanity check.

Assemble all bulkheads into fuselage using both sides to insure correct alignment while applying glue to one side.  

Rick makes some good points, especially about the engine. Very confusing, and even when followed the order did not "feel" right to me. In the end you'll get there, no issues.  In general, there are just way WAY to many sprue runners on small parts, so as Rick said, use caution here. I broke my ignition ring several times.

Also use some tape and card to board up the plastic struts that go in between the main float supports; they break like candy glass.