Eduard Bf109G-4/Trop - ready for inspection

Fanes

3 hours ago, Shawn M said:

^ desert night fighter scheme

Don't make me consider another Bf 110 as an all black nightfighter from the mediterranean.

1 hour ago, Out2gtcha said:

Keeeeeeewl! Cant wait to see some deserty paint on 

So do I, but first there will be some yellow and white paint. I'll upload pictures later and hopefully the desert camo follows tomorrow.

The update we were all waiting for - finally some non black paint :D

First of all the white marble for the identification stripes, rudder etc.

566572-34859-24.jpg

Then the blend coats Gunze off-white and Tamiya yellow (dumped the horrible Xtracrylix RLM4). The yellow was quite hard to put on since the coverage was really bad, next time I'm going for MRP yellow.

566573-34859-53.jpg

First camo colour: RLM78 from MRP, despite most people using the MRPs straight from the bottle I added about 10% levelling thinner which sprayed beautiful with the 0.15mm nozzle.

566574-34859-47.jpg

For the fuselage sides I opted for a more dense mottle , I'm quite thrilled how everything will look in the end.

566575-34859-33.jpg

The blend coat will be added later today and tomorrow the RLM79 and 80 will finally be sprayed on!

Blend coat of RLM78, quite thin since evry tutorial stated to stop before it looks good.

566912-34859-65.jpg

Then the marbling of the upper side. Gunze RLM79 and for some variation Tamiya red-brown and buff. The latter mostly on the horizontal surfaces and the elevators.

566914-34859-53.jpg

566913-34859-99.jpg

Followed by the blend coat. The overpainted squadron markings recieved a lighter sand brown, as it can be seen on the original aircraft. The same mix, but highly thinned, was applied to the elevators and ailerons.

566916-34859-54.jpg

The wings got a little less blending because of the RLM80 green which will add quite a lot of contrast.

566915-34859-69.jpg

The green will follow tomorrow, I didn't get as far as I hoped today. But one lesson was learned: I'll never ever install the dust filter before painting again!
It was almost impossible to achieve a good angle with the AB..

13 hours ago, mattlow said:

Looking good. I am a fan of these Eduard 109s (and the new range of 190s).

You've done a nice job on the paint, I look forward to seeing it all fully painted.

Matt

Thanks a lot Matt!
I totally agree, the level of detail and the clever engineering is amazing. If they scaled up their 190s and 109s to 1/32, oh boy....

9 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

I am totally glued to the set while watching this painting technique. Learning all the way.

Kind of me too - I'm trying this technique for the first time and I'm really thrilled how it will look with decals on and several clear coats.

The pictures of the original airplane show some light colour on the wingroot, which might be due to chipping.
So Alclad aluminium painted on. Followed by hairspray, decanted and sprayed through my airbrush - way better than from the spray can!

567681-34859-93.jpg

Followed up by some black base:

567680-34859-91.jpg

And the marbling of RLM80 (Gunze) and some Tamiya desert yellow:

567682-34859-38.jpg

Blendcoat, maybe be not transparent enough this time.

567684-34859-45.jpg

Paint chipped away with a soft brush, followed by careful scraping with a toothpick

567683-34859-99.jpg

After some touch-ups - mostly the RLM78 - I can go for the gloss coat!

Thanks mates!

I'm not sure about the chipping, it seems a bit too heavy (almost spitfire-ish) for my taste.

Maybe some filters and dust pigments will tone it down.
I'll try salt-chipping on the prop, pretty excited how it turns out.

Zero to none bench-time this weekend, so just a tiny progress.
I started working on the prop with a base coat in Alclad aluminium, then some water followed by grinded salt.

568804-34859-26.jpg

RLM70 - I went with Tamiya XF-27 airbrushed on. After some serious drying time, the salt was removed with a wet brush. Leaving this:

568805-34859-82.jpg

I like the irregular pattern of the chipping, but it's a 109 prop and not a japanese airframe - the chipping is way too heavy!
As I'm posting another coat is drying. Pictures will follow tomorrow.