Eduard Bf109G-4/Trop - ready for inspection

Fanes

Finally an update between a lot of stuff to do for work!

I went onto the details and had quite a hard time to get the Vallejo paint where I wanted it to be.
Maybe an optivisor or magnifying lamp might come in handy..

557145-34859-66.jpg

Some chipping on the seat, trim wheels and floor:

557146-34859-94.jpg

All sealed up with Tamiya gloss clear and ready for the pin-wash!

557148-34859-39.jpg

Can someone recommend a good flat cote?
I had some struggle in the past and have now tryed AK interactive's matte varnish and I'm still not quite happy.

Fanes,

Looks awesome and I would highly recommend a magnifying light or optivisor to help see the little details and especially the painting.

I'll second Brian's recommendation of Model Master Flat clear although I use the acrylic version.  Same with the Vallejo matte clear - goes on easily and dries incredibly quickly.  Not as big a fan of the Vallejo Gloss clear, however.

Due to the fumes issue I've not moved over to the MRP paints yet.

Good luck and keep up the excellent work!  GREAT kit to start with.  I have the Eduard 109 F-4 Profipack and the G-6 Weekend edition in my closet.

Chris

Thanks a lot for your kind words mates!

@Out2gtcha I ordered some of those "magical" Mr. Paints and I hope the RLM78 will work fine on this bird.
Some testing on old plastic was really promising - so thank you I'll consider their flat cote, too!

41 minutes ago, CANicoll said:

Looks awesome and I would highly recommend a magnifying light or optivisor to help see the little details and especially the painting.

I'll second Brian's recommendation of Model Master Flat clear although I use the acrylic version.  Same with the Vallejo matte clear - goes on easily and dries incredibly quickly.  Not as big a fan of the Vallejo Gloss clear, however.

Due to the fumes issue I've not moved over to the MRP paints yet.

Good luck and keep up the excellent work!  GREAT kit to start with.  I have the Eduard 109 F-4 Profipack and the G-6 Weekend edition in my closet.

In the past I've not been lucky with airbrushing Vallejo paints. Does their clear behave like the rest of their airbrush colour range?

I fully agree, the quality of this kit is astonishing. Those hollowed-out inlets on the fuselage are better than on some LSPs in my stash (looking at you Revell G-6 and Hasegawa F-4).

Cheers
Joachim

Edited by Fanes

Vallejo Acrylics take some work to get the chemistry right:  I do about 10-15% thinner, 10-20% Flow Improver and then paint.  With this mix I do not have any problems with clogging, or tip dry or splattering.  I watched some Vallejo You Tube video's and at a few model shows where there were Vallejo demo's I asked a lot of questions.  I don't have consistent luck with their gloss (unless I mix it into their other colors and then it lays down beautifully smooth) but I'll use their Matte anytime - VERY easy to use and dries almost instantly. 

I do love the Eduard kits.  I picked up their new Tempest at SMW in Telford this year, along with a few of their aftermarket parts.  I built their 1/72 Spitfire Mk IXC (one was their Overtrees) and they were just amazing and fun builds.  And the Overtrees are inexpensive!

Chris

.Hi Fanes, Testors Dull Coat Lacquer is another good quality flat coat. I use Tamiya's lacquer thinners  to thin it no worries and it is pretty tough. In my experience though one coat wont be enough so you have to build up the coats until your satisfied with the "flatness" which in my opinion is a good thing. 

Cheers Bevan

Edited by Scale32

Deep down in my paint drawer I found some Lifecolor flat cote. Thinned down with their specific thinner it tuned out almost dead flat.
Maybe too flat for the eterior of an airplane but for the small and dark cockpit of the 109 it's good enough for me.
Some small pieces installed (including the regulator knob which arrived 2 days ago!).

558988-34859-35.jpg

The eduard belts are nicely printed but it was a struggle to get them laid down. They are just too stiff to look like real seatbelts.
I'm really excited how the HGW belts will turn out on the forthcoming LSP build!

558989-34859-13.jpg

One tiny thing still needs to be done before buttoning the fuselage up:
The instrument panel needs its dials. I ordered decals for them from MDC and they are now in the mail for 11 days. :hmmm:

49 minutes ago, mustang1989 said:

Pretty dang nice set up you've got in there Fanes! Lots of details are going to make a good difference.

Thanks a lot!
It seems that inth end I have to leave the canopy open, or just little of that work will ever be seen.
So much to a quick build to get back into the hobby....

Finally the cockpit is complete!
The MDC instrument decals finally arrived and were put into place.

560894-34859-56.jpg

All is sealed up with a flate cote which suffered with a little frosting (argh now I know why the lifecolor bottle has been put aside in the first place)
The dials recieved some Tamiya gloss to simulate the glass (unfortunately invisible in the picture).

Next up: closing the fuselage, preparing the landing gear and then I'm ready to put some paint on!

Caution: Lots of pictures incoming!

The fuselage is closed up. Fit was good but not extraordinary. The sprue connectors left some sinkmarks which needed filler and the total absence of aligning-tabs required some fiddling on the rear fuselage. But these flaws disappeared quickly with some Alclad microfiller and several swipes with the sanding stick!

561568-34859-95.jpg

The wings itself were a beautiful fit and feature nice surface detail. Some minor tweaking at the wing root was required to minimze the step to the fuselage.

561569-34859-26.jpg

The underside is somehow a mixed bag. The oil cooler is a dropfit (not glued in for now, nor the spinner) which lets me install the exhausts and the MG17s after painting. Needles to say that I really like the featured wheel-well detail!

However the part which fills in the ejection chutes of the later G versions features prominent sink marks and needed filling and sanding. Same goes for the rear fit fuselage-wing.

561570-34859-55.jpg

Nothing too dramtaic going on on the wing root, but the radiator flap needs some additional love.

561573-34859-44.jpg

Unfortunately I somehow managed to completely mess up the fit of the tailplanes. There is a serious amount of putty and sanding required.

Upperside is okayish:

561574-34859-63.jpg

But that leaves a massive gap on the lower end:

561576-34859-51.jpg

The flash on the left elevator is now removed ;)

After filling and sanding I can hopfully complete the landing gear.

So long

Joachim

15 hours ago, Fanes said:

Caution: Lots of pictures incoming!

The fuselage is closed up. Fit was good but not extraordinary. The sprue connectors left some sinkmarks which needed filler and the total absence of aligning-tabs required some fiddling on the rear fuselage. But these flaws disappeared quickly with some Alclad microfiller and several swipes with the sanding stick!

561568-34859-95.jpg

The wings itself were a beautiful fit and feature nice surface detail. Some minor tweaking at the wing root was required to minimze the step to the fuselage.

561569-34859-26.jpg

The underside is somehow a mixed bag. The oil cooler is a dropfit (not glued in for now, nor the spinner) which lets me install the exhausts and the MG17s after painting. Needles to say that I really like the featured wheel-well detail!

However the part which fills in the ejection chutes of the later G versions features prominent sink marks and needed filling and sanding. Same goes for the rear fit fuselage-wing.

561570-34859-55.jpg

Nothing too dramtaic going on on the wing root, but the radiator flap needs some additional love.

561573-34859-44.jpg

Unfortunately I somehow managed to completely mess up the fit of the tailplanes. There is a serious amount of putty and sanding required.

Upperside is okayish:

561574-34859-63.jpg

But that leaves a massive gap on the lower end:

561576-34859-51.jpg

The flash on the left elevator is now removed ;)

After filling and sanding I can hopfully complete the landing gear.

So long

Joachim

Eduard is notorious for flash like that on things like elevator trim tabs; your work looks fantastic.

I really like the cockpit.

8 hours ago, ringleheim said:

Eduard is notorious for flash like that on things like elevator trim tabs; your work looks fantastic.

I really like the cockpit. 

I was uite surprised to see any flash because the rest of the parts is beautifully cast with little mold seams.
That was before I went on to the landing gear - but more of these parts later on!

Thanks a lot, but unfortunately little of the work in the cockpit is visible for now and the canopy isn't even on.
Let's call it practice for the LSP builds to come..

So todays work ain't much but it's something.
I fiddled with the main landing gear together (involving the removal of some nasty flash and mold seams),

installed the brake lines with the distinctive 109 loop. The clamps are made of Tamiya tape cut into fine strips and for some reason they didn't want to stick to the legs.

Fixed them with a lot of swearing and I'm still not 100% happy.

562904-34859-35.jpg

Since the tape was already out of the drawer I started some painting preparation.

562903-34859-48.jpg

The first shot of the semi-gloss black base on the parts in RLM02 and RLM66 is currently drying. Tomorrow there will be paint!!

Paints on!
I tried to keep the RLM02 slightly transparent to have some shades.

Not so easy with Xtracrylix paints, lots of tip-dry involved even with retarder and flow-improver.

The wheel hubs were slightly highlighted with Tamiya natoblack which came out a tad to light and therefore contrast to the Gunze tire-black is a little low for now.

I hope to fix this with some dust on the tire!

564871-34859-78.jpg

Wheel wells are painted too, but the black base revealed some flaws on the ejection chutes - so much to a little bit of filler.

Afterwards the almost forgotten ETC rack was installed.

564870-34859-87.jpg

Next stage: black basecoat on the whole plane!