Eduard Bf109G-4/Trop - ready for inspection

Fanes

Best way to do realistic heavy  wear on the propeller blades is to spray a metallic paint on them.

If you just want some wear on the edges I recommend light dry brushing with metallic. 

Edited by Hardcore

On 1/29/2019 at 10:57 AM, Fanes said:

Quick update:
All touch-ups are done and the gloss cote is drying right now. Pictures will follow tomorrow!

Today I recieved some additional material for the presantation of the completed 109.

569707-34859-57.jpg

I'll be looking forward to seeing what you do with this ........

@mustang1989 a little spyshot from my bench:

571453-34859-43.jpg

The parts of the jack stand were a joy to put together and I really like their level of detail.
The rear jacks hold the plane via a sratch-build "wood" spar - inspired by the photos on the uschi-van-der-rosten website.

This was a nice break from putting on decals, which I hate. Although mostly small and fiddly, I didn't have any problems with them.

The markings and insignia reacted well to Micro sol and fell into rivets and panel lines without any manipulation. The stencils which are on another sheet needed the Gune decal softener to get a smooth result.

If the underside has recieved its decals and everything is sealed up, I'll post ,more pictures.

Decals are finally sealed, touch ups were necessary because of the decal softener, some paint lift later - again repaired - I could finally start the wheatering.

First up oil-dot-fading/filtering. We all know how a model with dots on it looks like, so here's the result:

574087-34859-65.jpg

The decals don't stand out that much anymore. The base for exhaust stains was laid down with black oil paint.

Next up: Gloss coat followed by a subtle washing.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh boy, it's been a while but it's almost complete.
I added some panel washes, tried to keep the contrast low - dark blue-green on the RLM78, brown on the 79 and dark green on the 80.

Final sealer is a 50/50 mix of AKs ultra matte and matte varnish, which came out quite flat. So I polished some areas witha n old t-shirt.

Dust pigments added on the tires and wing root, exhaust stain with Tamixa smoke, cut with brown (XF52) and black (XF67).

Unmasking the canopy was a little frustrating since the Tamiya tape left some residue :doh:, polished that stuff away..

Here's the almost complete model (antenna wire and pitot missing) on an old base:

577821-34859-35.jpg

577820-34859-41.jpg

Little oil staining on the spinner, there's some fuel staining on the drop tank, too. I need more light!!

And a quick mock up with the jack stands.

577819-34859-49.jpg

The rear ones are already shortened and the plane sits level now. Some paint on the jacks and I call it done!

On 2/18/2019 at 5:39 PM, Out2gtcha said:

Lovely! The stands really bring a cool, different aspect to the look of the vignette. Well done! 

Thanks a lot mate!

The stands recieved their base coat today. If I'm quick, there will be more photos tomorrow.

I think I'll send the guys from Das Werk a mail asking for a large scale version of their jack stands.

9 hours ago, mattlow said:

I like the idea of using less contrasting panel line washes... it's often overdone (to my taste).

The stands add a new dimension.... this come s from Uschi...? 

You're absolutley right it's a question of personal taste. I have seen (and done some of them) lots of models with a checkerboard look, especially with a hard pre shading underneath.

But without a wash the panel line somewhat diasppear (like most of the lines on the real thing) and it may look like a toy.

The stand is indeed from Uschi, or more exactly from Das Werk - acooperation between them and a german hobby shop.

Some gallery shots

I took some pictures of the finished airframe and base - enjoy!

578832-34859-39.jpg

578833-34859-53.jpg

578834-34859-38.jpg

578839-34859-41.jpg

578835-34859-87.jpg

578836-34859-57.jpg

578837-34859-34.jpg

578838-34859-82.jpg

578831-34859-27.jpg

So what's left to say?

First of all: Thanks for watching and all your comments.

I really enjoyed this build and I think it turned out quite okay for my first build in 5 years. Here and there is room for improvement - hopefully the Bf 110E-3 and Bf 109F-4 in the large scale will benefit from that.

To sum up my review of the kit: If you want a quick, easy but good looking model - get one of eduard's 109s!!
No matter if it's a bare weekend edition, or the profi pack with maybe a brassin cockpit.

Edited by Fanes