Herbert Maxis' last flight - Bf 109G14AS

bcauchi

This is my take on the plane flown by Herbert Maxis on the fateful mission which was his last. This 109 is well documented and was even rebuilt and is located in a museum. The kit is Hasegawa, the markings are all sprayed on using Montex masks except for the swastikas on the tail. The figure is from masterbox and the snow was made using marble powder and microballoons. Hope you like it.

pnLUhNaDjpm2yhOwWjpogtERrKjplUdL1fIjplBzjyMgjpm5IteW5jpm9SMUsLjplSZssxdjplspnWKujplNKFhAUjpmlT6suEjpmlT6suEjpodFMvqLjpmEnjw3Sjponye3A5jpljx6ncZjpoEVE2FYjpooFMdlJjplKCgGYUj

And I like it very much!

Loveing the paintwork and the weathering of your G14 as well as the groundwork of your Dioramabase!

The paint chipping around the  entry zone of the Cockpit is awesome! 

Really looks great to me!

Can you tell me something of the colours you used for the late RLM76 or the RLM81? Do you make your own mix?

Would be interesting!

Cheers!

Lutz

Great efforts here Brian.   A tragic end to Mr. Maxis no doubt.  I could also imagine being on the receiving end of his weapons during the final encounter.  There is nothing glorious in war.   Your model strikes a balance between life and his final demise.    Well done and it certainly make you think and ponder why we go to war in the first place.  I like your representation here.  

Troy 

That aircraft did not have a long life and was not flown much before it crashed during operation Bodenplatte.  The weathering I tried to simulate was the wear and tear from use, hence the chipping and scratching which would be a result of the inferior quality of the paint at that stage of the war and also effects due to the weather conditions at the time. As can be seen from the photos, there was snow an hence mud and other related dirt. Glad you like it. thanks for looking and for all your comments. Will have to check about the mods i had carried out to turn it into a G14AS but if i remember correctly it was the 30mm cannon with the large bulge in the cockpit. the rest were mostly internal differences due to the engine and the fuels. Will get back to you on that one, its been a while since this model was completed.