1/32 aircraft retailers in Rome, Paris & London??

Pup7309

15 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

Do you want to go over for me?:D I ordered over $200 of stuff that I never got and they dont respond to e-mails at all.

I'm unfortunately not surprised... I know that the guy is far from being honest. I believe that the tone of my voice was crystal clear the last time I called them. I clearly said I would have no problem to go to Paris to have a "man discussion" with the owner...! Sometimes this works!

Wasn't it possible to get money back from your credit card service? Was it too late? I had twice the problem to have waited too long to be able to open a claim with ebay. Lesson learnt! Fortunately, since then, Paypal lengthened the delay to react.

On 12/17/2018 at 12:01 AM, Stefano said:

Hi!

there is CM Modellismo in Rome:

CM Modellismo,

Via Gaetano Astolfi, 73 -

00149Roma (zona Portuense)

https://www.cmmodellismo.it/it/

+39.065582696

You may surf their website for WNW and CSM available models.

Ms Natalia Alvisini, the shop owner, is quite knowledgeable and friendly.

Don’t know if she speaks foreign language.

Hope it helps!

Stefano

This hobby store looks good. Not too far from central Rome...it’s hard to tell from the map :)

14 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

Wasn't it possible to get money back from your credit card service? Was it too late? I had twice the problem to have waited too long to be able to open a claim with ebay. Lesson learnt! Fortunately, since then, Paypal lengthened the delay to react.

Too late unfortunately. Tough when order overseas. Often takes two months to receive package from small manufacturers, so I tried to contact first. Have ordered from them before with no problems.

6 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

Too late unfortunately. Tough when order overseas. Often takes two months to receive package from small manufacturers, so I tried to contact first. Have ordered from them before with no problems.

It looks like they deliver when they have the ordered product. As soon as this is back-ordered or has to be produced the problem is appearing, more particularly if you are a foreigner. Note their prices for common products are generally more expensive than the ones of their competitors. So I have yet to understand what is the benefit to order such items from them!

However, they have their own brands of products and for reasons you will quickly understand, they are not distributed anymore anywhere by anyone else! Unfortunately, the end-customers were not the only ones who were burnt... It is a pity as their kits are generally quite good and often cover original if not exotic topics. And calling them is not a guarantee. I did it when I ordered my last resin set and they clearly confirmed the product was available when I made that order whereas it was obvious this was not the case... :-(

What is puzzling me is the behavior of the credit card companies. When a reseller has generated at least dozens of financial claims, how is it possible he can still use such financial services? I understand a company may have occasional financial issues but when you have an unfair behavior for decades, I cannot understand that!

By the way, the three times I had such problems were also overseas orders. The first one was a Revell Me110c I ordered from a US modeller many years ago but never got it. The second time was my first (and last) order from Lucky Models. And the last one is the pre-ordered photoetched sets from Aviaelogy. Fortunately, I probably did hundreds of overseas purchases without any problem. So, it looks like 99.99% of the people are hopefully honest.

On 12/18/2018 at 12:53 PM, Pup7309 said:

Hannants sounds like a good day trip :)

The shop itself is terrible, hardy any stock, however if you order online in advance you can pick it up from the shop and get a 10% discount, you'll need to register as a customer first, go into Your Account and set your delivery address to "Collect from London Colindale SHOP". With that and Hendon next door it's well worth a visit.

On 12/17/2018 at 2:25 AM, nmayhew said:

Hannants in London are now a 25minute walk from the nearest tube station - pretty much inaccessible in my view' they used to be next to Colindale tube but that has all been redeveloped now.

Since when does 25 minute walk = inaccessible? It's all paved; it's not like you have trudge over the Yorkshire Moors or anything. Doesn't London have Uber if you really don't want to walk?

10 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

Since when does 25 minute walk = inaccessible? It's all paved; it's not like you have trudge over the Yorkshire Moors or anything. Doesn't London have Uber if you really don't want to walk?

because i am happy to walk for 25mins - or indeed an hour and 25mins in the countryside (and do regularly), but have no interest in doing that in London - especially an at best non-descript part of London at that.

Yes Uber may well have revolutionised that journey - not sure you'll see many black cabs there

6 hours ago, nmayhew said:

have no interest in doing that in London - especially an at best non-descript part of London at that.

The whole area between Colindale tube station and the RAF Museum has changed beyond any recognition in the last year. It is all tall buildings now. The museum has changed too, quite radically. The BoB hall is gone, for example.

In all honesty though, it is only a 15-minute leisurely walk from the station to the RAF Museum. From the RAF Museum to Hannants it is only another 5 minutes. As it happens, I have not been able to visit the Hannants shop since Gary left, it was always closed on the days when I went there. They are open only Thursday to Sunday, so check opening hours in advance. I always found something good in their "bargain room". 

Radu

I recall my first trip to Hannants when they were still next to Colindale pre-2010. Imagine the scene : having arrived fresh from South Africa where our hobby shops had limited stock to a fully packed floor to ceiling collection of models I had always read about. Talk about sweaty palms. I instructed my wife to grab a coffee next door and spent 2 wonderful hours deciding on what to buy and trying to convert everything from £ to the once mighty ZAR to match my budget. That was followed by a gentle walk up the road to the Hendon museum which is incredible.

The next time I went to Hannants 2 years later and they had moved. I was incredibly disappointed in what little was to see in the shop.

2 hours ago, nmayhew said:

What?

What else can there be if there's not a BoB display?!

Grrr!!

:angry2:

The old BoB building was demolished and replaced with a new hangar. This houses an exhibition called "RAF Stories" with aircraft,  lots of interactive exhibits, simulators and a gift shop. The entrance to the museum was rearranged through this first hangar, then from there you go to the Grahame-White Factory (all WW1 Aircraft rearranged nicely together) and then you move on from there to the historic hangars. Many exhibits were moved and rearranged. It is still great, you need to give yourself a few hours to see it all 

Radu

• 2 weeks later...

The truth of the matter is the museum needed a kick in the pants. When I was there 10 years ago the Bf-110G Nightfighter was so dark that I couldn't take usable photos of it.

The days when military museums could just line up aircraft/tanks/etc. and expect the public to troop through endlessly are over. Museums have to compete for the limited attention sapn of today's consumer and the increasingly scarce resources needed to fund these exhibits. The Battle of the Bulge Museum and Belgian Barracks in Bastogne, for example, have been living under the threat of the ax for years now.

On 12/20/2018 at 12:01 AM, thierry laurent said:

EOL is a quite old shop in Paris. As far as I'm remembering, they had up to three shops in Paris but I do not know the current status!

Yes on a second look, not so great range...