Real Colors of WWII Aircraft book

barkhorn

Looking forward to getting this book, seems to have a lot of back end research.  Hopefully it will be shipping soon?  I have it preordered, and it was supposedly shipping mid December. 

So far impressed with new paint line.  

Mainly interested in WWII Germany and Japanese interpretations.  So far the only color that has added some confusion is the RLM83, which appears to be a blue tint.  Previous books and paints I believe show this color as some form of a green.  Hitchcock  showed it as a bright green very late war (light green Lichtgrun) and Eagle Editions show it as a darker green, very similar to RLM 81.  In fact with the Eagle Editions color patch, unless you are in good light, you can't really tell the 81 and 83 apart, at least to my eyes. 

It appears that the Real Colors research is showing RLM83 was a dark blue and used mainly on late war Ju-88's in the Mediterranean?  

Also like that AK has worked to match the variations of RLM76, especially the 3rd variant. which has always been written about in many books, and appears in many photos to have a similar look to the British Sky (under wing color on Spitfire), but lighter.  

Paul C 

The late war colours from the RC paint range are based on the original recipes for Luftwaffe camouflage colours, for one of the most important paint suppliers in Germany in World War II, that had been discovered by Jens Mühlig. In the case of RLM 83, we know very little about its practical use, but it is very probable that its test version was the basic colour of the Ju 88 A-4 trop that mistakenly landed in Switzerland in October 1943, and perhaps other aircraft of the type that are mentioned to be painted 'royal blue' in some recollections (see Merrick, vol.1, p.91). The case of RLM 81 is a bit more complicated and it is explained in the book.

3 hours ago, Paul2660 said:

Looking forward to getting this book, seems to have a lot of back end research.  Hopefully it will be shipping soon?  I have it preordered, and it was supposedly shipping mid December. 

So far impressed with new paint line.  

Mainly interested in WWII Germany and Japanese interpretations.  So far the only color that has added some confusion is the RLM83, which appears to be a blue tint.  Previous books and paints I believe show this color as some form of a green.  Hitchcock  showed it as a bright green very late war (light green Lichtgrun) and Eagle Editions show it as a darker green, very similar to RLM 81.  In fact with the Eagle Editions color patch, unless you are in good light, you can't really tell the 81 and 83 apart, at least to my eyes. 

It appears that the Real Colors research is showing RLM83 was a dark blue and used mainly on late war Ju-88's in the Mediterranean?  

Also like that AK has worked to match the variations of RLM76, especially the 3rd variant. which has always been written about in many books, and appears in many photos to have a similar look to the British Sky (under wing color on Spitfire), but lighter.  

Paul C 

As I understand it the colour chips of older works, like the monogram book, are correct. The error seems to have been to assign the color variations to an RLM number they had no documentation for.