Paint suggestions please!!

Sgt Shultz II

I have a new gravity feed dual action airbrush, compressor with pressure tank and a bunch of SEA RF-4's to paint.

I have never sprayed acrylics before, only enamels, so I need some advice on which paints are good for a "beginner, as far as acrylics go".

Which brands are "user friendly" and what thinners to use and what airbrush cleaner is best?

Color recommendations are also welcome. It's been 20 years since I airbrushed a model so thanks in advance for help.

Ron

Ron, the easiest sprayable paints by far in my experience are MRP.  They are thin so spray straight from the bottle, no need for thinners then getting the right consistency and they dry very quickly indeed, we're talking fifteen minutes or so.  I clean my AB with Alclad cleaner, again a very easy simple process.  They are lacquer-based so a bit "smelly", personally I have no problem whatsoever with that though.

Edited by mozart

I’m a firm Tamiya fan, Their paints spray well at a multitude of different pressures and through the finest of airbrush tips. You can thin them with either their proprietary thinners or isopropyl alcohol or even cheap cellulose thinner (good ventilation required). I thin them anything from 50 to 90 percent thinner depending on application. The only downside is you may have to do some mixing to get perfect  colour matching if your so inclined. The upside is their inexpensive and easily available for me from all my local hobby shops. As a plus the isopropyl or cellulose thinner will also clean your airbrushes 

Edited by TimHepplestone

Another vote for MRP. Having the thinning mixture bang on every time is a great thing. The MRP paints dry near bulletproof, to a nice semi gloss sheen. 

To me, they are some of the easiest, nicest flowing AB paints you can shoot. I used MRP on my little Extra 330, and was astounded at how smooth the paint ended up being, with it seemingly near impossible to get it to run or pool

20180811_220803-XL.jpg

I haven't tried the MRP product yet, but will do when I can get my mitts on it here in NZ.

I am a big fan of the Tamiya Acrylics diluted with Tamiya lacquer thinner. It provides a very durable coat. When I intend to use the hairspray technique, I prefer to mix it with the Tamiya acrylic thinner. Although most of the range are fairly generic, there is plenty of reference online for FS mixes.

I vote MRP with Mr. Color in a close 2nd.  MRP goes down incredibly smooth and you almost never get tip dry.  Plus you have the added benefit of quick drying and hard finish that can be masked in minutes.  Mr. Color is very close especially if you use Mr. Color leveling thinner.  MRP's biggest advantage over Mr. Color is no need to thin.  I also have to say that MRP gives you great coverage so you actually use less paint.  That has been my experience. 

Hope this helps,

Bryan