Tamiya A6M2-N Rufe

LSP_K2

After being given this kit by a friend some time back, my first thought was to use the parts to finish my already well underway ceiling queen of the same kit. After thinking on it a bit though, I've decided instead to go ahead and do it up as a contest machine, to be entered in our local September 2019 show (and possibly some other shows in the region).

2BUjma.jpg

I had initially considered the Vector or CMK Sakae engine as a replacement, but really couldn't convince myself that I needed the additional expense, so decided to just go box stock with the provided engine. Here it is, painted with titanium (it's what I had easily accessible) and given a dark wash. Some dry-brushing and painting of the gearbox, will improve it sufficiently for my needs.

zMoj6w.jpg

1 hour ago, LSP_Kevin said:

This kit is a fun little build! Did you add any weight inside the forward float? The model's a tail-sitter without it.

Kev

No, that's something that I completely forgot about, Kev. I may just glue it to the dolly, then the dolly to the base, not real sure yet. I may also do as I did with my 1:24 kit, just bore a hole in the float front, fill with epoxied B-B's, then plug the hole.

Just now, LSP_K2 said:

I may also do as I did with my 1:24 kit, just bore a hole in the float front, fill with epoxied B-B's, then plug the hole.

That's what I did on my build of this kit, as I'd completely forgotten about it too! First, I drilled a couple of large holes:

JdtBVx.jpg

Then, I shoved in as many lead fishing sinkers as I could, and filled the cavity with resin:

BTV2KZ.jpg

Worked a treat!

wHiYnK.jpg

Kev