Iconicair Supermarine Attacker FINISHED.

ericg

So I have a couple of projects on the go at the moment so another wont hurt right?

I wanted this kit from the time it was announced a few years back. I decided to fund the purchase of the kit with the proceeds of my resin Boomerang panels, just to make the hobby cost neutral (yeah right!). I like obscure types and of course this fits the bill nicely. I also enjoy the uniqueness of building a resin kit and not having seen an Iconicair kit before, my curiosity kicked in so I got stuck into it whilst there was a bit of downtime in the Boomerang build.

There have been a few in box previews of the kit here and on my Facebook page (Manscale Models), as well as others. The kit is quite exceptional right from the get go, being very nicely boxed and thoughtfully packed. Lots of zip lock bags, a stapled instruction sheet, photo etch seatbelts and nicely printed decals. I will try and keep this as out of the box as possible, with the exception of doing something about the lack of any internal structure, meaning there is no jetpipe, turbine face etc. On initial examination, it appears one may be able to see right through the model from intake to exhaust, a less than desirable feature of any jet model.

A quick `on the workbench' pic.

IMG_4889-X3.jpg

I got stuck into the cockpit parts. it is quite simple parts count wise, but very nicely detailed. All of the parts required minimal effort to cut from the casting block and glue in place. I have built up most of the small parts on the cockpit side walls. The throttle quadrant and side panels are very nicely detailed and will look great once painted.

IMG_4894-X3.jpg

The instrument panel calls for a decal (provided in the kit) sandwiched between the main structure and the panel faces. I prefer to use Airscale instruments, so some additional work was going to be required.

IMG_4895-X3.jpg

The faces of the panel are quite deep and would easily swallow up the instruments so I assemble the parts and then punched out some thin plastic card and inserted it into each hole to bring the instrument faces closer to the front of the panel. If you have the RP Tools punches, I used the 1.9, 2 and 2.4mm punches to achieve this.

IMG_4898-X3.jpg

This part will look great painted and with Airscale decals.

IMG_4899-X3.jpg

Parts fit is great.

IMG_4897-X3.jpg

The wings come with some sturdy resin spars which almost snap into place. Alot of thought from Iconicair has gone into how this kit assembles, sometimes lacking in alot of resin manufactures. It is quite good.

IMG_4900-X3.jpg

Glued into place with gel superglue, they make very strong structures.

IMG_4901-X3.jpg

Edited by ericg

Good to see someone start this kit already. David Cooper just posted the following information on our Facebook page:

I've done a test build of my Iconicair Attacker. One area to be cautious of is the resin piece used to show the folding wing panels in the up position, very fragile. In fact both of mine broke. Graham French is now making this part in metal with a resin overlay.

"Hi David, I had a flash of inspiration on this problem and have embedded some CNC machined Brass 0.5mm thick sheet into the mould and
cast around it, thus keeping the detail but is also very strong."

48412940_934041483467143_425148287384184

Just FYI!

Kev

You like obscure types (me too) - you found a real double winner - rare as a full size and even rarer as a model in any scale!  Lovely looking plane - will watch your WIP with eager anticipation!! Thanks for posting!

(BTW - I didn't notice this one on your 'to do'/%progress card - no worry, I do the same thing!!!).

Thanks for the comments guys.

I purchased both of the available reference books from Viceroy books, a Queensland based online book seller. They have a very good range of books and are well worth a visit. https://viceroybooks.com.au/ . They arrived just minutes before I left home to go to work, so I packed them in my nav bag in case I got bored on the trip!

16D7285A-BCA5-4DAC-8DB1-E0477E3102CD-X3.

I painted the instrument panel Mr Paint Tyre Black. You can see the difference that the small mod has made to the depth of the holes that the instruments will placed compared to the earlier photo. It fits into the cockpit very nicely.

IMG_4916-X2.jpg

The ejection seat parts. 

IMG_4907-X3.jpg

Built up, it pushes onto a peg on the cockpit floor. Once again, a lot of thought has gone into the ease of assembly of this kit.

IMG_4909-X3.jpg

The wheels are a simple two part affair, and fit together very well using minimal glue. There is the slightest evidence of 3D printing in most of the parts as can be seen here but they will clean up easily.

IMG_4910-X3.jpg

I wicked Mr Surfacer into the join between hub and tire and wiped the excess of with Mr Thinner to tidy things up a bit.

IMG_4913-X3.jpg

Thinking about the lack of fuselage internals, I came up with a possible solution. Not to say I will go with it but it might work. The Mig-17 had a Russian copy of a Nene, the Trumpeter Mig-17 has a reasonable depiction of one and it would be better than nothing. Here it is test fitted into the fuselage roughly aligned according to my references. The jet pipe is considerably longer than the Mig-17 so I have found some thin brass tube that is the correct diameter and length to suit.

IMG_4923-X3.jpg

At least there will be something to see up the rear end!

IMG_4924-X3.jpg

Whilst the kit instrument decals are OK, I felt the Airscale stuff just makes the panel pop. I used various decals from the RAF WW2 and early allied jets sheets.

IMG_4930-X3.jpg

I will put on some placards and also clear instrument faces but I am pretty happy with how this part is progressing.

IMG_4929-X3.jpg