Hasegawa 1/32 Hellcat is out of scale!

trioconbrio

1 hour ago, Out2gtcha said:

Indeed, I've got both kits and intend to do exactly that. But I'm still holding out Tamiya or someone similar will grace us with a new tool F6F.

Besides the new Airfix kit? I know you prefer 1:32, but 1:24 ought to look great too.

OK...so responses continue - wonderful -  so let me ask another question - 

Since a lot of you like me - put these aircraft in flight with wheels UP. 

I tend to build up the wheel wells with spare parts (even wood) but try and fill out with filler.

Been using Tamiya Putty (basic type) . The horror is it deforms the plastic as it cures.

SO - any ideas of a filler that will not deform plastic - I am All Ears. 

30 minutes ago, trioconbrio said:

OK...so responses continue - wonderful -  so let me ask another question - 

Since a lot of you like me - put these aircraft in flight with wheels UP. 

I tend to build up the wheel wells with spare parts (even wood) but try and fill out with filler.

Been using Tamiya Putty (basic type) . The horror is it deforms the plastic as it cures.

SO - any ideas of a filler that will not deform plastic - I am All Ears. 

I tend to use thick CA or CA gel mixed with Microballoons (used in the remote control ships as a light filler)

I've used Talcum powder as a backup.

10 hours ago, trioconbrio said:

... any ideas of a filler that will not deform plastic - I am All Ears. 

Apoxie Sculpt

CLX-105.5-2.jpg?1532509204

Great stuff for filling and forming. Adjust it's viscosity with water and a drop of dishsoap.    :hi:

Edited by MikeMaben

1 hour ago, trioconbrio said:

I would agree..why I hang them high...out of reach.....

as for the ruler..I am not a scale nut...but..still..this kit...next to other 1/32...is OUT OF WHACK...BIG TIME

If I've misinterpreted your post as saying the Hasegawa Hellcat is at fault then I apologize.  But.... Aside from the 1970's molding technology and the simplified (and sometimes overemphasized) details, and a couple of assembly issues, the kit is pretty accurate as has been said time and time again throughout this thread. The cowl smile may be "off" somewhat compared to the 1:1 item but as far as the kit goes, the wingspan, as quoted above is 42' 10" (13.064 meters).  In 1/32 scale that equates to: 16.07" (408.18mm) which is exactly what you said it was, " ...it is over 400mm!!"  The 1:1 length of the F6F is 33' 7" (10.242 meters).  In 1/32 that equates to: 12.6" (320.04mm).  I fail to see any justification for your  "is OUT OF WHACK...BIG TIME" evaluation.  The Hellcat is a large airplane and will dwarf a Bf109.

In comparison:

P-47D Thunderbolt

Wingspan: 40' 9 5/16" (12.427 meters)

Length: 36' 1 3/4" (12.437 x 11.43 meters). 

In 1/32: 15.3" x 13.56" (  388.62 x 344.43mm).  Smaller in span than the Hellcat but longer. 

F4U-1D Corsair

Wingspan: 40.97' (12.49 meters)

Length: 33.33' (10.16 meters) 

In 1/32:  15.37" (390.4mm) x 12.50" (317.5mm).  Again, smaller than the Hellcat in both span and length.

If something doesn't look right to your eye then say that and detail what led to that conclusion, and use a scale (ruler).

REFERENCES:

Nohara, Shigeru. Hards, Scott. T. (1996). Aero Detail 17, Grumman F6F Hellcat. Dai Nippon Kaiga Company. Tokyo. (p. 81)

Nohara, Shigeru. Hards, Scott. T. (1995). Aero Detail 14, Republic P-47 Thunderbolt. Dai Nippon Kaiga Company. Tokyo. (pp. 74-75)

Hideo, Maki. Hards, Scott. T. (1999). Aero Detail 25, Vought F4U Corsair. Dai Nippon Kaiga Company. Tokyo. (p. 95)   

Edited by Juggernut
Trying to be non-adversarial as much as possible

As long as you stay within the posting rules you can say whatever you want.

Jugg , you might want to verify what he meant by "out of wack" before

dressing people down on the forum. If you really want to help new people,

a PM might have been the better approach.

Tryin' to keep it friendly  :whistle::)