Trumpeter Swordfish 1:32

Fvdm

@Ray, thank you and thanks for thinking along.

@Tim, thank you

@Chek, thank you for the very usefull answer. I didn't know for sure if the wires are rods but now I do. 

I don't know what museum you have seen but I will google it. Maybe a nice idea for a future project when I want to make a spifire.

@Jennings Heilig, thank you. Amsterdam is really a great city

@Alain, thank you

@Rick, thank you

Hi - and welcome to the forum

With regards to the brasing 'wires' or whatever... I did this kit some years ago and it seems to me that back then I found out that one 'wire' that Trumpeter wants you to mount so it is on the surface of the wing - just wasn't there on the real bird... better look into that

@Thomas, thanks,I'll mark it in the instructions en will look into it.

@Stefan, thank you

@Dennis, thank you. The rigging should be real easy. Trumpeter supplied metal profiles wich you should use, so no rigging with wires. So, have fun building it ;)

@Torben, Mark and Mike, thank you.

First plastic is cut, first glue and PE is applied so it's time for the first update. I started with the cockpit. There is much PE to be applied so there are three kinds of instructions open on the bench. One thing that had to be done was the seat for the gunner.

This is the one out of the box.

M5k6hq.jpg

And this is what it looks when it's done.

JTmTOu.jpg

Quite an improvement I think.

The sidepanels in the pic below aren't glued yet. First I want to paint everything before assembling the cockpitframe. On the lefthandside you can see some cilinders. I can't find out what these are or what color these cilinders are so if you have an idea....

qMcWct.jpg

The upperplate

wIkck9.jpg

Fianlly some pics whit the upperplate loosly on the frame.

K8XoPE.jpg

MFhPv7.jpg

POd30r.jpg

Thanks for watching and until the next update

Edited by Fvdm

As a non-expert on the type, I’d guess that that rack with the cylinders mounted on the side wall holds flares for signalling (recognition colours of the day and such like for when the radio goes u/s).  However, a quick flick though my admittedly meagre library on the type failed to bring up any evidence that it was there at all, so it’s possible that Trumpeter’s designers made it up.  Wouldn’t be the first time a kit manufacturer did that.....

On 12/13/2018 at 6:13 AM, Fvdm said:

@Chek, thank you for the very usefull answer. I didn't know for sure if the wires are rods but now I do. 

I don't know what museum you have seen but I will google it. Maybe a nice idea for a future project when I want to make a spifire.

I think it must have been Overloon, but the Spitfire is now under cover and suspended from the ceiling. Older photos show it out in the forest though.

Apparently it's an FRXVIII (FR18) but is a bit of a hybrid rebuild and has a high back with standard canopy, rather than the more typical Mk XVIII bubble hood.