Sign in to follow this  
Kurt_W

Recommendation for a starter kit for a 10 year old

All,

My grandson, last time he was up here, showed an interest in modeling. I built a Roden triplane for him.

We're thinking of getting him a model kit for Christmas, and was wondering if any of you had a recommendation for a decent starter kit. He's 10 years old.

Unfortunately, I'm 600 + miles away, and only get the opportunity to see him a couple times a year, but his mother and father are pretty good coaches. I'm thinking something in a larger scale would be good, but also would like something that would assemble relatively easily, without all the fit issues I encountered with kits back in the '60' and '70's.

Thanks for any ideas you might be able to pass on.

Kurt

If he is into Star Wars at all, I can HIGHLY recommend any of new new generation/new tool Bandai kits. Some may be a bit advanced for him at 10 but you never know. They have figures, Tie fighters, X-wings and all the normal Star Wars fare, none really needing any paint or glue if you didnt want to use them. 

All of the new generation Bandai kits are virtually snap together, and the fit is as good at any WnW or Tamiya kit.    Im not sure about the "egg Planes" but some of those are pretty neat looking at seem to go together without too much fuss. 

The absolute best ones for no glue, no paint kits are the Airfix QuickBuild series, they look good, have stickers, go together like legos, but look like a scale model.

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/quick-build.html

My 5 yo son and I built one last night, we built the Bugatti a few weeks ago, and the Spitfire and 109 a few months ago. He loves them, he can play, destroy, rebuild them all over again.

Edited by 1to1scale

My boys are 5 and 7 years old. They've built a number of the Airfix Quickbuild kits with little parental assistance. The fact that if they come apart, you can put them back together is a great bonus.

They've also done a couple Bandai Star Wars kits but the much smaller Vehicle Collection series. For those, I've shown them how to use a pair of sprue cutters and they've made out fine. 

LSP Mike's idea isn't a bad one at all. 

The youngest is always eyeing my stash whenever he gets the chance these days so I must be doing something right.

Carl

Wow, lots of good information here. Thanks! I do like the idea of the starter quick build kit, and a conventional kit. I have several conventional kits I could give him.

Appreciate all the feedback.

Kurt