Lanc has landed

Squito2340

I've actually found something in the kit I don't like! 

The side blisters on the main canopy are separate parts that you glue on top of the flat outer pane. No leaning into those to see what's going on below the plane! Just a strange bubble on top of a solid piece of glass. Small nit-pick in what otherwise is a great kit. Bit of a head scratcher.

I don't plan to display any of the cowlings open. Kit looks to have blanking plates to install inside the cowlings so you only have to install exhaust stubs, although they aren't mentioned in the instructions. Nice touch.

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

20 minutes ago, Dennis7423 said:

The side blisters on the main canopy are separate parts that you glue on top of the flat outer pane. No leaning into those to see what's going on below the plane! Just a strange bubble on top of a solid piece of glass. Small nit-pick in what otherwise is a great kit. Bit of a head scratcher.

I don't plan to display any of the cowlings open. Kit looks to have blanking plates to install inside the cowlings so you only have to install exhaust stubs, although they aren't mentioned in the instructions. Nice touch.

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

Hi Dennis, Yep the exhaust stub option saves a lot of time. I found out only after I had installed the 4x merlins. A very useful option for those not showing engines. 

The blisters are not too much of an issue with a little thought. They are done that way I believe, to increase the aircraft options available. Anyhow, I dipped the canopy and blisters with Johnsons Klear (or equivalent) 

When they were dry enough to handle, i held the blister in position and using a small brush or, as i did,  a cocktail stick I ran some more Klear round the blister using its natural capillary / flattening properties.

The new Klear re melts the dry klear on both the blister and  canopy bonding them firmly when dry.

Hopefully this shows what I am on about.

46084243082_17bca22d79_b.jpg

45222888935_e40077a5f8_b.jpg

Once they are fully dry only the hardest of knocks will remove them and if they do need moving or re attaching another dose of Klear will do the job.

Edited by Phartycr0c

On 12/12/2018 at 9:26 AM, Markjames1968 said:

well wow, call out for Spruebros

I am in UK, wasn't willing to risk the lanc getting here to our wholesalers before xmas and couldn't bet a definitive answer other than we thin k so,....so when I heard they had landed in America and were available, I checked with Spruebros and they confirmed they were happy to help,

Ordered the kit sunday night, it arrived from the states on Wednesday AM for 50 dollars shipping via FEDEX!! am buzzin!!

in total including import duty and shipping from Spruebros in the states  cost me £380, cheaper than quite a few places in UK and before the UK importer has even got them!!

WOOOOHOOOO xmas build time!!! thanks Spruebros, am amazed at the speed!!

how was the import duty charged btw?

did you get one of those ransom notes from Royal Mail, saying "no pay, no parcel', or is it all a bit more civilised now?

if you want it now you want it now, but it is / was £335 inc shipping from the Model Kits For Less group on Facebook - it's run by Mike Jolly who has a bricks and mortar shop up Norh somewhere, but his FB group is now massive.

decent prices and always a friendly service...no connection apart from happy customer (got my HKM B-17 from there)

6 hours ago, Dennis7423 said:

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

yes that was flagged when the sprue shots came out...honestly i would expect more given the money; this isn't the HobbyBoss B-24 we are talking about

3 hours ago, nmayhew said:

how was the import duty charged btw?

did you get one of those ransom notes from Royal Mail, saying "no pay, no parcel', or is it all a bit more civilised now?

if you want it now you want it now, but it is / was £335 inc shipping from the Model Kits For Less group on Facebook - it's run by Mike Jolly who has a bricks and mortar shop up Norh somewhere, but his FB group is now massive.

decent prices and always a friendly service...no connection apart from happy customer (got my HKM B-17 from there)

I think its gonna be mid Jan before its here and wanted it ASAFP as we say up north , Was happy to py the extra 50 quid so i have an xmas project, im an Aero Eng lecturer so have 2 weeks off from next friday , been suffering a bit of builders block and been awaiting this as the one that hopefully unblocks me over xmas..... may well order another from Mike at some point and do know him at MKFL .

fedex orders are delivered immediatly with no customs hold up, they simply send a text to your phone and an invoice with the model with 28 days to pay, i just pay it when it arrives so i dont forget, 

Edited by Markjames1968
Addition

2 hours ago, Alain Gadbois said:

Luckily, many Lancasters only had the blister on the right side. Half of the problem solved....only half.

Just did a little more research, and lo and behold, Phantom of the Ruhr, which I intend to build, is one of those birds. Although I can't seem to find any pictures of her starboard side, I assume it only had the blister on that side. Port side is nice and clean.

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA