SPA 48 question

Fred Jack

I have a decal sheet for two SPA 48 SPAD Xllls yet I have a book on WW1 aircraft that shows a colour picture of Adjudant Jacques Rogues’ SPAD Vll with the exact markings as the Xlll including the same number on the rudder. So which is right, the book or what is printed on the decal instructions?

Edited by Fred Jack

In the book “French Aircraft of the First World War also shows the circle with the girl on the port side of the SPAD Vll whereas the SPAD Xlll instructions show the girl on the starboard side. The decals also has serial #1893. The other option is Capitaine A. de Turrenne. Is this a Xlll or a Vll? They are both shown as the early rounded wingtip beige versions in the instructions of the Xlll.

Edited by Fred Jack

I remember years ago that Revell released a 1/28 SPA 48 SPAD Xlll. I think that there was only the crowing rooster but nothing else. I’m probably going to go with the SPAD Vll, so I don’t have to bother with rounding wingtips.

15 hours ago, Fred Jack said:

I remember years ago that Revell released a 1/28 SPA 48 SPAD Xlll. I think that there was only the crowing rooster but nothing else. I’m probably going to go with the SPAD Vll, so I don’t have to bother with rounding wingtips.

You’re corrrect about the Revell Spa48 markings. It was issued as a three-plane kit along with the Camel & Dr.I.  Problem is that it’s wingtips were halfway between rounded (early) and square (late), so neither was accurately possible.  

The Osprey Spad VII photo & profile both show the “jolie demoiselle” (girl) on the starboard side of the aircraft.

You didn’t say, but from your remarks I assume you’re using the 1/32 FFSMC decals. I had them and the rudder decals looked more Spad VII than XIII to me.

14 hours ago, Rob Owens said:

You’re corrrect about the Revell Spa48 markings. It was issued as a three-plane kit along with the Camel & Dr.I.  Problem is that it’s wingtips were halfway between rounded (early) and square (late), so neither was accurately possible.  

The Osprey Spad VII photo & profile both show the “jolie demoiselle” (girl) on the starboard side of the aircraft.

You didn’t say, but from your remarks I assume you’re using the 1/32 FFSMC decals. I had them and the rudder decals looked more Spad VII than XIII to me.

Yet the decal sheet says SPAD Xlll. I have both the Roden Vll and Hobbycraft Xlll. I took the rudders from the models and the Vll matched perfectly with the decals. I really didn’t have to knowing that the SPAD Vll is straight on the trailing edge and the Xlll is curved, but the models were easy to get to. As far as the Revell, mine was a separate kit with the late wing, matching my Frank Luke offering. The kit box and instructions showed the late five color camo. I went into the Army and by the time I got out, my mom cleared out my room, tossed out my built kits and donated my stash to Good Will. I really didn’t mind, because all I really wanted was the Frank Luke SPAD which at that time was still in production. I couldn’t find the SPA 48 plane, so never built one. I have a bunch of SPAD Vll and Xlll decals from many Companies including Pheon. The SPADs are my all time favorites, so I probably have around a dozen or so of Villa and Xllls, all 1/32. I have one of each of all the WnWs planes except the seaplanes, and the Roden, Hobbycraft, a couple Battle Axe, and Linburg (mostly Nieuport 17s I do have one of their Camels but have the mod to change it into a Sopwith Sarrow, which contains a wing to replace the Camel’s wings).

Edited by Fred Jack