Tamiya 1/32 F4U-1D, VBF-84, 3/9 update

cbk57

Thanks, all, I am going to repaint my wheel wells, I don't fully understand the bit from Dana's post about no bulkhead forward of the flap cove, but in the wheel wells I am going GSB as well as the doors now.  Hope to get this done on the weekend but am building a model car for Mom for Christmas, she had a MGB years ago customized, that has to get finished up for the holliday.

Thanks for explaining, I actually did paint that area chromate yellow but I did my plane flaps up.  I painted just in case any area might not get paint.  As you know even flaps up the wing area of a Tamiya Corsair is enormously complex and paint does not get into every little visible space.

On 12/9/2018 at 7:32 PM, MikeMaben said:

Detail and Scale says gear bays were 'usually' the underwing color on -1s

but were sometimes salmon. I have seen photos that appear more grey.

Apparently there was some latitude there. Struts could be grey, a steel

color or the underwing color. All blue didn't happen until the later dashes

and there were exceptions there as well.

hth

Main gear bays were painted underside camouflage.

Some early dash 1s had the main wheel well bays undercoated in salmon, it was not the final coat. All wrecks with salmon confirm this. A few dash 1s didn’t have the tail wheel well finished in the underside color.

15 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

The flap cove is the area just ahead of the flap that it retracts into when closed.

Here's one with a bulkhead.  Apparently the Corsair doesn't have one.

Not sure on that Mike..  Pics of this area are pretty hard to find but I found one of a later version Corsair that had a forward bulkhead.   Would be surprised if Tamiya got this wrong.   I believe they all had this bulkhead, which in reality was actually the backside of the rear wing spar. 

8 hours ago, ScoobyDoo said:

Main gear bays were painted underside camouflage.

Some early dash 1s had the main wheel well bays undercoated in salmon, it was not the final coat. All wrecks with salmon confirm this. A few dash 1s didn’t have the tail wheel well finished in the underside color.

I posted to forget / ignore this post (see above).

8 hours ago, John1 said:

Not sure on that Mike..  Pics of this area are pretty hard to find but I found one of a later version Corsair that had a forward bulkhead.   Would be surprised if Tamiya got this wrong.   I believe they all had this bulkhead, which in reality was actually the backside of the rear wing spar. 

I was quoting from a Dana Bell post (also see above).

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234998649-f4u-1d-flap-and-gear-bay-colours/&do=findComment&comment=2288561

This is mostly work from last week but just now getting around to posting it, after a nice holliday and with some help and advice from members on this site I was able to correct my wheel wells which will be shown and landing gear which are not yet photographed.  I had to stop and do some other work.  As you can see in the back ground of the first photo there is a blue MGB.  That was my moms Christmas gift and had to be finished for the Holliday so I had to leave the Corsair alone for a while.  I matched it to her customized car and she was really pleased.

I am trying to replicate a finish that has seen some use but per GSB, is not too marked up.  I will add some really light chipping and remove some paint from fasteners, otherwise thorough pin wash with some fuel stains, exhaust stains and that will be about it.  I am using some blue filters to alter the fabric areas relative to the metal surfaces just to add some visual difference between the surfaces.

DSCN1726

DSCN1727 DSCN1728 DSCN1729

Edited by cbk57

Wow, thats awesome!

Nice shade of blue and love the overspray marks on the decals...super cool!  Cant wait to see her weathered to compliment.  That is really really well done

Cheers

Anthony

Edit: just realised they are actually sprayed on...well done!  Kiwi P-40's were often like that too

Edited by Anthony in NZ

Basically I am calling this done.  I am not happy with all of my weathering effects but am happy with most of the look of this plane.  I used the Funk sheet for the Unit markings, I used the kit decals for the national insignia, just did not feel like painting them.  I tried salt weathering technique and it turned mostly into a disaster, after that I was just trying to salvage this build.  I wanted a worn look where there was paint scuffing but not much chipping to bear metal, just wear areas like fasteners around cowling and spots like that.

DSCN1741 DSCN1742 DSCN1743 DSCN1744 DSCN1747 DSCN1749 DSCN1750 DSCN1750 DSCN1750

I have a couple more items to add from this build, I did not get the underside images in the first posting.  

I just notice one of my wheel bay skins fell off.  I will have to hunt that down.  Did not see that until I posted my photos.

DSCN1755 DSCN1757 DSCN1759

Edited by cbk57