VF-1 Tomcat decals!!

dmthamade

When the Revell 1/32 Tomcat first came out and VF-1 were the markings included, all I wanted was VF-84's Jolly Rogers. This was certainly due to the movie The Final Countdown. 

Over the years, the Wolf Pack markings have grown on me so this is a welcome release to build one.

Carl

55 minutes ago, BloorwestSiR said:

When the Revell 1/32 Tomcat first came out and VF-1 were the markings included, all I wanted was VF-84's Jolly Rogers. This was certainly due to the movie The Final Countdown. 

Over the years, the Wolf Pack markings have grown on me so this is a welcome release to build one.

Carl

The Revell kit did for me as well!! There was also a feature in FSM of a very nice build of a VF-1 cat. Great era for Navy/Marine colorful schemes!!

Don

13 minutes ago, Dragon said:

I'm hoping this might be a sign that Tamiya will upscale their 1/48 tomcat! 

That's a real stretch, a single decal sheet and all of a sudden we think Tamiya is doing a new 1/32 kit?..... Sounds good!! i'll jump on that wagon!! Next year?:thumbsup:

Don

7 hours ago, Luca said:

which are the drawbacks of the old Tamiya kit (positive paneling in the back apart)?

For me, the panel lines are the biggest bugaboo. I've rescribed/built the Tamiya kit adding an aftermarket pit as well to be rid of the decal panel. Other than a few shape issues and details, having to rescribe, i'm ok with it. With the VF-1 decal release, i'll build another 'Cat, just have to decide if it'll be a Tamiya or Trumpeter kit. Pros and cons with both, just need to decide which....

Don

Tamiya kit is winning, so far...

Should have added, i'm getting lazy in my old age. An almost OOB build, just having to add aftermarket decals appeals to me more than rescribing, etc. A Tamiya 'Cat done the same way as their previous 1/32 kits would be the closest thing.

Don

Actually, never going to happen, but a kit by Hasegawa or Revell would be great. They keep things simple yet detailed enough for me, but pricewise (Revell) a great base for those that want to add aftermarket.