Bolingbroke in a barn!

Alain Gadbois

Hi!

A couple months ago I went to visit the Montreal Aviation Museum, which is situated in an old barn at the western tip of the island. They are restoring a Bolingbroke for static display. I took a few pictures of the state of progress of the project. 

The museum is very small but they have some nice exhibits and they are also restoring a Norseman.

The Airfix kit has just come out so the following pictures might be of help, while waiting for a larger scale one...

bJLn8db.jpg

gZmfFYn.jpg

hicJp0t.jpg

DmEXRtk.jpg

21LzMnV.jpg

6i2L573.jpg

R3mcBgQ.jpg

Thank you for your interest! A few years ago I took photos showing the aircraft. I will try to find them and post here. In the last photo, you can see one of the underwing compartments closed by two spring loaded doors. I wonder what they were designed for?

Alain

4 hours ago, Gazzas said:

Wot's the difference between a Bolinnbroke and a Blenheim?

Bolingbroke was the name it was given in Canada for Candian built versions of the Blenheim.

The flying version at Duxford actually started life as a Bolingroke with the bigger nose - effectively a Blenheim IV.

It was restored after another Blenhiem IV crashed and was written off.

I went to see it in the early 90's for it's maiden flight as a Blenheim IV night fighter.

It then had various schemes until it was damaged again and they found an early MK1 front end so now it's a Blenheim MK1.

Current MK1 at Duxford.

https://www.aircraftrestorationcompany.com/blenheim/

History of it's restoration:

http://vintageaviationecho.com/arco-blenheim/

Edited by PhilB

On 12/8/2018 at 1:37 PM, Alain Gadbois said:

Thank you for your interest! A few years ago I took photos showing the aircraft. I will try to find them and post here. In the last photo, you can see one of the underwing compartments closed by two spring loaded doors. I wonder what they were designed for?

Alain

They held flares as seen here:

http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/BLENMKIV/media/cGF0aDovYm9tYmJheTEuanBn/?ref=

Jari

Great photos, thanks so much for sharing! I love seeing any restoration, but grassroots stuff like this is always fascinating.

On 12/10/2018 at 12:15 AM, PhilB said:

The flying version at Duxford actually started life as a Bolingroke with the bigger nose - effectively a Blenheim IV.

It was restored after another Blenhiem IV crashed and was written off.

G-MKIV, the first one that didn't last long, was also a Boly. Believe it or not there's only one real Blenheim left and it's in Finland.