P-47N wheels

Harold

2 hours ago, Kirk Taylor said:

The recently released True Details P-47 wheels look a lot like the ones you would see on a restored or currently flying warbird.  The tires have a modern tread pattern on them and probably wouldn't be appropriate for the WWII era.  The backs of them also look a bit strange, maybe for a different style brake.  Yes they have the eight spoke wheel but don't look period correct.

Harold, we could really use a set of P-47N wheels with a correct tread pattern!

Thanks,

Kirk

Do you have any good close ups of the wheels and tires. I have a few but aren't very good.

Are you guys talking about 1/32 or 1/48?  Because I haven't seen anyone make a 1/32 P-47N wheel.  Except for Jerry Rudman and I'm pretty sure his are OOP.  The tire should be the same dimension as the D, but the hub has these "slots" around the edge of the rim and 8 holes not 6.  I think they are very similar to the TBM Avenger design, but I'm not sure on size. And nobody makes those either.  I would LOVE a set because Trumpeters is a real disappointment.

Jim

36 minutes ago, babyduck5 said:

Are you guys talking about 1/32 or 1/48?  Because I haven't seen anyone make a 1/32 P-47N wheel.  Except for Jerry Rudman and I'm pretty sure his are OOP.  The tire should be the same dimension as the D, but the hub has these "slots" around the edge of the rim and 8 holes not 6.  I think they are very similar to the TBM Avenger design, but I'm not sure on size. And nobody makes those either.  I would LOVE a set because Trumpeters is a real disappointment.

Jim

I have made masters for the TBM with several tread designs, but haven't posted them for retail.

I have 34'x9.9' as the tire size for the P-47, do you know if that is correct?

Everything I do is now 1/32 or larger.

Edited by Harold

Harold,

I have the same info on the tire.  It seems that they pulled a D from production to make the improvements, so most things were the same, except for the items that made it an N.  Also, besides the 18" wing extension, it seems most of the improvements were not visible (i.e. automating some control systems, autopilot, engine differences, etc.). If you do have the TBM wheels available, I would love to see about ordering a few sets.

Thanks,

Jim 

32 minutes ago, babyduck5 said:

Harold,

I have the same info on the tire.  It seems that they pulled a D from production to make the improvements, so most things were the same, except for the items that made it an N.  Also, besides the 18" wing extension, it seems most of the improvements were not visible (i.e. automating some control systems, autopilot, engine differences, etc.). If you do have the TBM wheels available, I would love to see about ordering a few sets.

Thanks,

Jim 

PM me and let me know what tread pattern and how many you need.

Ray,

That prop kind of looks like the Curtis Asymmetrical Paddle Blade.  I think the N version got the Curtis Symmetrical  Paddle Blade with tapered blade cuffs.  The Trumpeter kit includes all four blades that were used for the P-47, but not the Symmetric Paddle with the tapered cuffs :

1.) Hamilton Standard

2.) Curtis Standard

3.) Curtis Asymmetrical Paddle 

4.) Curtis Symmetrical Paddle 

Though, you could easily convert the non-tapered cuffs to tapered with some putty and sandpaper. 

Jim

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hyperscale/p-47n-propeller-question-t167258.html

Edited by babyduck5
Trying to get photo to show up

Although the props seem similar between the D and the M/N, the R-2800 used on the M/N series was a C series engine that used a 60 series spline prop shaft instead of a 50 series prop shaft.  I believe that fact alone would make it necessary to enlarge the propellor hub albeit with the same shapes and contours.  I don't believe they just hollowed out a standard 50 series prop hub to a 60 series spline but that maybe just what they did.... I haven't been able to find anything out on it one way or the other.

1 hour ago, babyduck5 said:

This is the prop I was referring to.

nprop.jpg

Yep, the Curtiss electric "symmetrical" prop with the tapered cuffs characteristic of the M/N series aircraft (the D used similar blades with an untapered cuff).  Now compare the size of the hub with a similar shot of the symmetrical blades on a P-47D hub.  You may be able to see a size difference between the two as far as the hub is concerned (I can't seem to see any size difference).  I think you'll only find the tapered cuff props on the M/N series of aircraft as I think this is a feature characteristic of the 60 series spline prop hubs. 

What does this all mean in terms of modeling the M/N propellor?  Probably not much as only people like me know there's a difference between the B and C series R-2800 engine prop shaft spline sizes.  If someone has access to Curtiss drawings for the hubs for the respective props (or has access to the specifics of the prop such as blade p/n's and hub p'n's) we might be able to find out.  Even if it turns out that the M/N hub is larger than the D counterpart, I still don't think it'll make a whole lot of difference in terms of modeling the thing.

I found this in the reference listed below:

P-47D-30:

R-2800-59 B series engine

C542S-114, 4-blade prop, 13 ft. dia.

P-47N:

R-2800-57 (-1 and -5 RE) R-2800-73, 77 or 81 (all subsequent) - R-2800-73 delivered with GE turtleback ignition system vs scintilla ignition system on -57.

C642-B40, 4-blade prop, 13 ft. dia.

Hopefully more as I dig a little deeper as I have a hunch that the C542 and C642 relate to the spline sizes of the respective engines that drive the props.

MORE:

(I got the following information from Warbird Information Exchange:  http://warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=390619)

C542S-A6- C- Curtis, 5- 50 Spline, 4- 4 Blades, 2- #2 Blade Shank (base), S- Steel Blade. The dash A is the Series, the 6 is the design of that prop assy. It probably references the blade design, limits of the blade angles and maybe small parts that are a part of the assy.
C542S-A114 Same as above but the 114 refers to a different prop assy design but in the same series. It could be only the blades are different but could also address blade angle limits.

C642-B40 Curtis, 60 Spline, 4 Blades, #2 Blade Shank, B series. The B series makes it a different series of prop from the above A series. It could be just the hub is different being 60 spline and a specific blade is called out.

The C642-B possibly would be a generic Prop Assy listing that doesn't reference a specific blade design.

REFERENCE: White, Graham. (2001). R-2800, Pratt & Whitney's Dependable Masterpiece. Society of Automotive Engineers Publishing. Warrendale, PA. (pp. 401-413)

Edited by Juggernut
Removed confusing text