Large Scale Model Rubber Tires

waltmert

Gentlemen,

I have noticed that a lot of the 1/32 and larger scale models tent to come with rubber tires.

In fact, I just happen to purchase a large 1/18 F-104 model. Boy is she big and gorgeous!

But, the rubber tires are all sticky and soft. I guess they are self destroying.

Is there a process to stop the deterioration of rubber tires?

Thanks,

Walter

Some tidbits:

Primer:  I have sprayed Vallejo black primer on soft vinyl tires after roughing them up with sand paper.  Adhesion was great until you compressed the tire resulting in cracks.  

Making Resin copies:  I cast resin copies of vinyl/rubber tires from the Airfix 1/24 scale Stuka for my Me-410 resin kit.  Not a good match with the type of RTV I used (IIRC one needs a tin based) but using a lot of mold release produced 4 respectable copies before the mold died.

Rick

5 minutes ago, Rick Griewski said:

Some tidbits:

Primer:  I have sprayed Vallejo black primer on soft vinyl tires after roughing them up with sand paper.  Adhesion was great until you compressed the tire resulting in cracks.  

Making Resin copies:  I cast resin copies of vinyl/rubber tires from the Airfix 1/24 scale Stuka for my Me-410 resin kit.  Not a good match with the type of RTV I used (IIRC one needs a tin based) but using a lot of mold release produced 4 respectable copies before the mold died.

Rick

Some of the rubber tires contain Sulfur. It will react badly with platinum RTV. Tin bases RTV is the only way to mold them. Others have no issue at all, but I always use the messy tin based RTV on them just to make sure.  I also post cure the rubber for a few hours at 170 degrees as well.

1 hour ago, Out2gtcha said:

I'm not sure any are made, but you may want to try to source some AM resin wheels.

I'm not 100% sure its anything he could/would tackle, but Harold of AMS resin has tackled some 1/18th wheel sets prior. It may be worth shooting him a PM.  

If someone wishes me to do them, I would need them sent, and whomever sends them, gets the originals and resin copies back when I am done. Just be prepared for a bit of a wait.

Right on guys, thanks!

I cleaned them up with alcohol and they are no longer sticky.

I am going to try the "Future" trick and see what happens.

There is no easy way to separate the tires from the wheel to put aluminium foil so I am sure the sticky process will start again.

I decided I am not going to super detail the model as I first thought, I am going to hang it from the ceiling

just as it is and wheels up!

Funny that even the pilot started to get sticky! He is going to have to sit on aluminium foil for sure!

Harold thanks a million for the offer to cast the tires/wheels but if I am going to bug you with a resin set, it will have to be another F4U-5N set. I really like that bird.

For now I am going to concentrate my time and efforts on the two 1/24 Harriers I have been working on for............

yeah, for ever!!!