Jennings Heilig

The new Tamiya 1/48 Spit Mk.I is out...

One is definitely on my shopping list once the LHS gets them in.  Actually my first new-tool Tamiya build since the Zero that I built more than a decade ago.  That is until they produce a late version F-14A or F-14B that is.

Matt 

On 12/5/2018 at 1:52 AM, LSP_Ron said:

Andy did a build thread a few weeks ago. Not my scale but looks like a nice kit.

The engineering of this kit is another Tamyia masterpiece.

:bow:

It seems to me, with Tamiya's new hi fidelity 109 G, F-14's and now Spitfire MK1 they are born again with a revamp in their already good quality standards but in 1/48 scale focus again.

Might be some time (decade or more ?) before we see a new 1/32 tool Tamiya aircraft kit, global economy is in a dip we're told, its been a fun set of releases from Tamiya in 1/32 and we have other manufacturers ready to take their mantle, lets not be to hard on them if this is the case.

Tempted to try a new Tamiya 109 or Spitfire though.

Here's the big preview of our new 1/48 Spit Mk.I decal.  For the moment it's only 1/48, but we'll see what the future holds.  Our previous Spitfires haven't sold terribly well in 1/32, and not at all in 1/72.

This sheet covers the first RAF kills of WWII in October 1939 up through the end of the Mk.I's frontline service in 1941.  These are not randomly chosen subjects - each one has a story that we will be providing in the instructions, and several of them have multiple kills attributed to them.  Three airplanes have "nose art", and one has a name with no art, all pretty unusual for the RAF in 1939/40.  Lots of variations in roundels and fin flashes.  GR-Z is the aircraft in which Sqdn Leader Roger Bushell, "Big-X" of "The Great Escape" fame, was shot down in France.  Most of these have never been seen in the model/decal world before!  Coming in early 2019.

J

sS4New.jpg

They look great!!!  When they do a Mk Vb, I will contact you for some custom decals if you are willing. I need to build another JU H Nightfighter, Debden Essex, 1941. (Maybe you can do them in 1/24?)

4 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Here's the big preview of our new 1/48 Spit Mk.I decal.  For the moment it's only 1/48, but we'll see what the future holds.  Our previous Spitfires haven't sold terribly well in 1/32, and not at all in 1/72.

This sheet covers the first RAF kills of WWII in October 1939 up through the end of the Mk.I's frontline service in 1941.  These are not randomly chosen subjects - each one has a story that we will be providing in the instructions, and several of them have multiple kills attributed to them.  Three airplanes have "nose art", and one has a name with no art, all pretty unusual for the RAF in 1939/40.  Lots of variations in roundels and fin flashes.  GR-Z is the aircraft in which Sqdn Leader Roger Bushell, "Big-X" of "The Great Escape" fame, was shot down in France.  Most of these have never been seen in the model/decal world before!  Coming in early 2019.

J

sS4New.jpg

Very cool, especially those with the early small diameter roundels!

7 hours ago, Gerhard said:

They look great!!!  When they do a Mk Vb, I will contact you for some custom decals if you are willing. I need to build another JU H Nightfighter, Debden Essex, 1941. (Maybe you can do them in 1/24?)

That aircraft was on the old Victory "Aces of the Empire" sheet for which I did the artwork about 20 years ago.  It's also been done by several other decal lines over the years.

Edited by Jennings Heilig

Just got the new Tamiya Mk.I in the mail.  Holy. Cow!!  If you (like me) thought the old 1993 kit was pretty decent, it now rates about a 2 out of 10 compared to this one.  The ultra-closeup photos I've seen online don't do it justice.  The scribing is magnificent.  Eduard without all the rivets.  Can't wait to get cracking on it!

And BTW, the kit is clearly set up for a Mk.Vb to come.  All of the Mk.I-specific parts are on one sprue and one gated sub-sprue.  And there's a fresh air vent just below the windscreen that isn't found on Mk.Is, which Tamiya has you remove in the instruction sheet.  BRING IT!!!

Spent a few minutes at the bench today (did you feel the earth move?).  This is one more sweet model kit!  A grand total of about 45 minutes to clean up parts (minimal required) and assemble the wings and stabs.  Including reaming out the tiny 1/48 .303 Brownings for the outer wings.  Becuase - duh.. they're going to be covered over with red patches ;)