Jennings Heilig

The new Tamiya 1/48 Spit Mk.I is out...

20 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

I thought the earlier Spitfire fro Tamiya was really quite nice. How does this one improve on that one, or is this just a re-release?

Apparently this is a completely new tool.  But you are correct, I have built a few of the earlier kit myself, and they are lovely to build and fairly accurate. Can't wait to see what the improvements on this one are!

2 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

I thought the earlier Spitfire fro Tamiya was really quite nice. How is this one improve on that one, or is this just a re-release?

The 1994 Tamiya Spitfires were okay as long as you don't look too close or know too much about Spitfires.  

The new one is, by all accounts, pretty close to perfection.  Lots more options, better outline and shapes, more clever design, etc, etc.  

We’re currently toiling away on some new Spit Mk.I decals covering the early war period up through early 1941.  Not the same six BoB machines you’ve always seen either!  Some very historically significant aircraft, most of which have never been done before.  Right now we’re at 20 different subjects, and we may end up with a few more.  

sbzELu.jpg

Edited by Jennings Heilig

Having seen it in the flesh/plastic, there is some funky engineering going on. The fuselage halves have a large cut out to allow separate inserts to be placed depending upon whether you are displaying the model with canopy closed or open.

It does look a really nice kit.

18 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

The 1994 Tamiya Spitfires were okay as long as you don't look too close or know too much about Spitfires.  

The new one is, by all accounts, pretty close to perfection.  Lots more options, better outline and shapes, more clever design, etc, etc.  

OK, cool. Since most of my 1:48 stuff (WWII) will go directly to the ceiling anyway, I'll just stick with the older kit, which I already have underway. Still, if I were to consider a 1:48 kit for a contest/display model, this one sounds like the way I'd choose.