LEM 1/32nd MIG-27 and Trumpy MIG-23 and AM

crobinsonh

I think most of the Mig 23 sets would work, I did look into it a few years ago, not progressed beyond that though, there are some differences, such as cockpit bulkhead details, some others to the u/c bays.

I think you can use the Aires exhaust in conjunction with the kit exhaust ring, at least that's what I intend to do if memory serves.

I recently bought the clear resin canopy from the HpH Mig 23BN, and Linden Hill produce a set of decals for Kazakhstani aircraft.

Northstar and Armoury (?) make quite a few Mig 23 wheel sets, one of which might be suitable, though I've not looked into that yet.

• 1 year later...

I'm resurrecting that thread as I compared the Aires set parts, the Hph Mig-23BN conversion and the LEM Mig-27 parts. 

First, the LEM fuselage heigth is noticeably different (close to 4mm!). So, using the Hph nose with the LEM kit will not be easy and cross-kitting with Trumpeter parts neither. This will ask for some heavy surgery. I think the LEM kit is noticeably too deep. You can easily use the Aires cockpit and exhaust in the LEM fuselage. However, as the 27 had a different cross section at MLG level, using the 23 gear bays will ask for work to fill holes. 

Hth

Thierry 

56 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

I'm resurrecting that thread as I compared Aires set parts, the Hph Mig-23BN conversion and the LEM Mig-27 parts. 

First, the LEM fuselage heigth is noticeably different (close to 4mm!). So, using the Hph nose with the LEM kit will not be easy and cross-kitting with Trumpeter parts neither. This will ask for some heavy surgery. I think the LEM kit is noticeably too deep. You can easily use the Aires cockpit and exhaust in the LEM fuselage. However, as the 27 had a different cross section at MLG level, using the 23 gear bays will ask for work to fill holes. 

Hth

Thierry 

Thanks for the update. When you say "I think the LEM kit is noticeably too deep" is that because you think LEM got this wrong?

I think so. I'm waiting for the RV plans as they look better than some others I have. Anyway, the front fuselage is clearly too deep when compared with pictures. The Hph BN looks far better. There are various shapes that look a little bit weird in the LEM nose area. Note the kit corresponds quite well to the plan of the CD-rom. So, again, this looks like an unfortunate case of inaccurate plan syndrom... 

After having taken many measures, I can confirm my comments. The LEM fuselage is at least 4mm too deep. This is not that visible on the main fuselage parts but quite obvious on the front section. It looks a large part of the problem is coming from the fact the central section of the belly should be flatter whereas the kit is too rounded. I also looked at the Hph BN front section (nearly identical to an early Flogger D one) and the dimensions are quite accurate. Rather than trying to improve the LEM front fuselage, I'm currently assessing how to modify the rear one to use the Hph nose. This is not going to be easy but both options ask for some heavy surgery. This is really a pity as the LEM casting is incredible!!! This is really the best I have ever seen for a resin kit. The thickness and weigth is very close to the ones of a plastic kit and the parts do not really ask for cleanup. The molding of the single nose full part without one bubble is the craziest resin casting I have ever seen. 

I forgot adding that the rear fuselage heigth is correct as well as the width all over the kit. Actually, the fuselage should progressively taper from the rear to the front and this is where we have the main problem. The fuselage heigth does not decrease progressively as it should. So, I guess that to solve the issue, it is required to flatten the central section of the belly on the front half of the kit (to gain more or less 2mm) and to remove a triangular wedge from the central fuselage to the area between the MLG bays and the airbrakes. For the front fuselage, most of the lower section must be rebuilt among other changes. The MLG wells are also too large and this is very probably linked to the heigth issue. Ouch! 

I can confirm it is possible to remove the 4+mm out of the heigth of the central fuselage of the LEM kit. This allows using a modified Hph nose. Yes! The problem was nearly solved this evening. The air intakes height correction is the last step. This modification work is just a matter of heavy sanding on the fuselage parts edges as foreseen. For the belly, I casted some resin inside the lower fuselage before sanding because the part was quite thin. This will probably somewhat annoy me to locate correctly the Aires MLG bays but I will grind what will be required later. I'm solving problems one per one. ;)