Messerschmitt-Bf-109F4 + G2/trop in MTO - Update

s_tringa

1 hour ago, Fanes said:

One little thing jumped me: I think you have the dust filter  rotated 90 degrees. The doors should open horizontally, or isn't it glued into place yet?

Yes is not glued, only to test the fit with the plastic air intake!

• 2 weeks later...

Ciao, a little update on both my 109
I've spent a lot of time on the wings of the 109 G-2, because I was sure that it was a normal G-2 without che bulges on the wings, so to avoid to use the resin parts from the AlleyCat set (I'dont like to glue big resin parts with the cyanoacrilate ), I had to remove the bulges on the Revell wings and to fill with superglue and putty the inner part of each bulges. Adding on both kit the circular riveting tipicaly of the bf109's wing.

46863138742_3eb2c1080e_o.jpg

but after some weeks, looking for other pictures of my 109 G-2, come out two shots that show unequivocally that show clearly the bulges on the wings.
I'm not a super expert on Bf109 and I dont know exactly how to explain it. Maybe it was a late type of G-2 with the G-4's bulged wings and large tyres or maybe it was some field modification due to combat damage.
Right or wrong..... I'm needed to restore the bulges again.

31974122387_5d53cd8785_o.jpg

and after having previously filled it, I had to carve again the inside of the bubble on which the wheel went inside the wells.
For the F-4 wheels, I will use those from the Aires set, while for the G-2 the work will be different;
My model had wheels with a larger diameter tire, typical of the G-6, but the spoked rim of the F.
To make it happen I used, with minimal adjustments, the original Revell wheels for the G-6 adapting the spare spoke rims from the Eduard 109 E box, the internal diameter of the rim is slightly larger than the inside of the Revell wheel but with a some sandpaper is fixed in a moment ....

31974124167_3a5d317b28_o.jpg

I also corrected something that I did not like too much on both models. In the real airplane,  the upper cover of the guns compartment closed on the fuselage creating a small step. This effect in both models, due to the various sanding steps,  was lost so I solve with a plastic sheet 0.1mm shaped to size. I just have to add the fasten hooks that I will take from the scrap parts of the Revell box .....

31974125747_932a5f0705_o.jpg

I's all for now.
Ciao
Sebastiano

Guest Vincent

Hi

It was common for rebuilt G2s to get G6 wings. Sometimes only one wing was replaced and the plane had bulges on one side only. For some reason it seemed to have been more common to to send the rebuilt the G2s to the Mediterranean front...

Vincent

1 hour ago, Vincent/MDC said:

Hi

It was common for rebuilt G2s to get G6 wings. Sometimes only one wing was replaced and the plane had bulges on one side only. For some reason it seemed to have been more common to to send the rebuilt the G2s to the Mediterranean front...

Vincent

Thank for the info, Vincent!

1 hour ago, s_tringa said:

Blade propeller. Mmmmm!! I am not completely convinced of the shape of the Revell blade

The propeller shape is a quite distinctive error of the Revell kit. There are some resin options to correct this (Barracuda, A.M.U.R. Reaver..)

Btw nice wheatering on the prop blades!

Could some 109's experts confirm that the edge of the upper radiator outlet flap was slightly different from F to G model?

Thanks in advance

this pic show a 109F-4/trop....

33061950558_784522c513_b.jpg

this come from the G-2 at Hendon...

46885264072_16727ea84f_o.jpg

and this come from G manual...

46937471241_6ea64400ca_b.jpg

Edited by s_tringa

Guest Vincent
3 hours ago, s_tringa said:

Could some 109's experts confirm that the edge of the upper radiator outlet flap was slightly different from F to G model?

Thanks in advance

this pic show a 109F-4/trop....

33061950558_784522c513_b.jpg

this come from the G-2 at Hendon...

46885264072_16727ea84f_o.jpg

and this come from G manual...

46937471241_6ea64400ca_b.jpg

Yes, the F had what some have described as "boundary layer bypass" supposed to improve the air flow to the radiator face. Whatever it was, it was deleted on the G version

• 3 months later...

Hi guys, sorry for the long absence due to the usual crazy working period!
Although very slowly the works on the two 109 continue and so I show you some small progress ....

The tail surfaces and rudder of the 109 Revell were already separated but I don't like the surface finish on the moving surfaces. In fact they had very heavy and unreal details when compared to the original. While for the 109 Hasegawa I had to use a hacksaw to separate the parts and I would have to work to rebuild the internal profiles. So I preferred to take two sets of Quickboost that fit well with both models, I just had to fill some small gaps with the usual styrene sheet.

I also replaced the whell wells of the 109 Hasegawa with the Aires ones (beautiful but a little difficult to adapt) while those of the Revell kit remained because they were very beautiful and detailed.
In both I added only a few wires made with lead wire and small pieces of pipe made from the insulation of electric wires ....

47965727143_54a5cbc02f_o.jpg

For the painting I started from the usual black base with the Mr Surface 1500 and then "marbling" with sand and gray, to finish Grau02 glazes until you get the effect you see in the picture. Washings and lightening of the details will follow......

47965704292_9d6316ce28_o.jpg

47965780011_4e77f0b2ef_o.jpg

I have detailed the front canopies by adding the internal frame and the screened lights that illuminated the interior. I don't usually use pre-cut masks but this time for the 109 Hasegawa I used the internal and external ones of the Montex which proved to be very accurate. For the 109 Revell I went the old way, yellow tape and cutter with new blade .........

47965768616_4d443ca2f5_o.jpg

Finally, the legs of the undercarriage, which in the 109 Hasegawa are in one piece and removed the usual quite good burrs, while the 109 Revell has every single leg broken down into 4 parts and even assembling it with extreme care, the joints have remained evident. So I had to invent a little tool to sand them without ruining the cylindrical shape ...... it worked more or less.

47965774011_d9dfdeb173_o.jpg

Until next time ... I hope soon.

Sebastiano

Edited by s_tringa

• 3 weeks later...