Fokker Dr. I 'Skeletal'

kkarlsen

Time to break out my little 'on the side project'... (I've been experimenting for some time with parts for this).

I've always been fascinated by 'skeleton' models were you are able to see every little detail of the construction.

So I have been harboring this idea for a very long time, to do a WWI aircraft as a skeletal version at some point.

I did some initial test work on the S.e.5a project but never went with it.

The work with the trusses for the 'Portalkran' for the Arado, was a test to see if something like this would be possible.

And it made me want to 'Take the Bull by the Horns'...

7698-031218094342.jpeg

Some time ago I got this wonderful book of the Fokker Dr. I and it's full of detailed renderings of the parts for this iconic aircraft.

Together with some scaled up drawings from one of the Windsock Fokker Dr. I Datafiles...

7698-031218093033-14445689.jpeg

It's a strange feeling, not having a kit to begin with. (Got some Roden 1/32 Fokker's in the stash as guide for the build)

I've collected some aftermarket parts which could become useful for this build. Aviattic's cowling and stripped rudder.

'Part' and Tom's Modelworks photo etched detail sets. Brassin Spandau machineguns. CMK resin rotary engine.

7698-031218093033-144441168.jpeg

I've seen Eduards Stripped down Fokker in 1/72 scale and some larger scale models done this way, but none in 1/32 scale?

I'm sure it will be a challenge and it will most certainly drive me crazy, nevertheless I will give it a shot, lets see how it goes...

Cheers: Kent

Edited by kkarlsen

When I designed the photo-etched "stripped wing" for the Fokker E.III, I planned to do a photo-etched "stripped Triplane" as well. Here is the Eindecker: http://www.radubstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_85&products_id=634

In the end I abandoned the "stripped Triplane" project because it would have involved way too many large sheets of brass, making it really expensive. Every now and then I fantasise about going back to it, but there is no means to make it cheap. Costs and retail price are the only reasons why such projects are done mainly in smaller scales. 

Radu 

1 hour ago, Radub said:

When I designed the photo-etched "stripped wing" for the Fokker E.III, I planned to do a photo-etched "stripped Triplane" as well. Here is the Eindecker: http://www.radubstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_85&products_id=634

In the end I abandoned the "stripped Triplane" project because it would have involved way too many large sheets of brass, making it really expensive. Every now and then I fantasise about going back to it, but there is no means to make it cheap. Costs and retail price are the only reasons why such projects are done mainly in smaller scales. 

Radu 

Hi Radu, I've seen your work and it's really nice.

Since I'm not having a 'friendly' relationship with photoetched parts,  I've never really thought of going that way.

But I learned a lot from building the HPH Catalina regarding working with molds and resin casting.

And the principles from working with resin, has made me work in that direction.

The benefit is the fact that it adds some material thickness to the different parts, more suitable  for 1/32 than many photo etched parts.

Initially I was not convinced that I would be able to pull this through, but I've made some experiments along the way with the different parts required for a build like this. 

I now think it is doable...

Always starting with the most difficult parts, to see if they can be done, before continuing the project or abandoning it...

The first 'Fokker' tests involved finding a solution for the many wing spars, 58 almost identical spars are required + some with variations.

I've been at this some months ago, between the two Arado's

7698-031218110646.jpeg

One master was done from styrene and 10 copy's were cast. Then I made another master, with 11 spars, which is enabling me to set

up a production line for as many spars as I want... A lot of cleaning up is needed, but it's really not that bad and it was the same with

many of the resin parts for the Catalina.

Next step was to try and replicate the fuselage frame.

7698-031218093035-14447223.jpeg

0.75mm & 0.64mm styrene rods were used to build the slim fuselage frame. Welding the frame together with cement.

7698-031218093035-144482056.jpeg

Roden's interior frame is seen at the top. One down another one is coming up...

Edited by kkarlsen

20 minutes ago, Trak-Tor said:

Really exciting...

Kent, can we expect some gorgeous diorama as usually?

With some 'skeletal' pilot and/or mechanic?

:rolleyes:

Juraj

I'm not sure were this is going Juraj. As with the S.e.5a diorama, it all began with the Crossley and it sort of grew from there...

For the moment it's just the skeleton Fokker with the designer Anthony Fokker together with it.

Very nice!...

and funny to see that as I had the same idea last year when Aviattic released their rudder and I saw that uncovered wheels became available. However, I thought as well to a photoetched solution rather than the simpler resin-based approach you took.

For your information, Aviattic also released a Fokker seat and Properplane just issued the Heine and Axial propellers. They are very nice (I got them for my DR.I and FVII).

One problem of that approach will be the choice and location of the internal components as there are still a lot of missing and conflicting information about them... :-(

1 hour ago, thierry laurent said:

Very nice!...

and funny to see that as I had the same idea last year when Aviattic released their rudder and I saw that uncovered wheels became available. However, I thought as well to a photoetched solution rather than the simpler resin-based approach you took.

For your information, Aviattic also released a Fokker seat and Properplane just issued the Heine and Axial propellers. They are very nice (I got them for my DR.I and FVII).

One problem of that approach will be the choice and location of the internal components as there are still a lot of missing and conflicting information about them... :-(

Thanks Thierry, I haven't really spend that much time on the interior, as I have been focused on developing techniques, that will make the build possible. But I guess I will have to at some point. Maybe I will just stick with the 3D model in the 'Triplane' book and not look too much at the  massive amount of material available...

I have seen the Proper plane Props, they are really nice. But as I'm originally a trained carpenter , I just will have to try and carve a propeller from laminated veneer, Proper Props will be my bail out option, if the scratching goes wrong.

Edited by kkarlsen

17 minutes ago, BiggTim said:

As you can see from my signature, I love WWI skelly models!! I have a 1/16 Camel kit in progress, and a scratch 1/16 Fokker Tripe of my own in the planning stages. I will watch with interest!!

Tim

Very nice builds indeed Tim!