Hornet over Hanoi

Dandiego

On 12/12/2018 at 9:29 AM, themongoose said:

Hey I saw you cut the slats off. When you do those can you post a few detailed pics please? I couldn't figure out a good way to do it on mine and would like to learn for the next one I do. Looking forward to your updates!

Yup cut off the slats. Pretty easy really. I just scored the hinge line top and bottom and then snapped them off. There will be a little work around the raised hump for the wing fold.

Stay tuned...

Dan 

Things have been moving slowly. A lot of delicate fiddly work trying to get everything to fit. Since I have cut up the wings there is a lot of detailing that needs to happen.  

#1.  Add new vents above the intakes. Not the sharpest work in the world but much better than what the kit offers. And lots o putty where the front meets the back.

dxdJfKL.jpg

Opened area where the flaps meet the fuselage. I am using the Academy kit as a guide in this area.

IYtlJbZ.jpg

And last an overall look at the basic fuselage.

odryXI9.jpg

Later, Dan

23 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Wow, taking it to another white monster! All that white plastic would get to me after awhile. 

This looks to be another winner from what most are afraid or unwilling to tackle.

Yup, acres of white plastic. Hard to rescribe and rivet, have to get the light just right. 

Regarding the afraid or unwilling observation. For me I am just a glutton for punishment. Always willing to do something a little different. 

Glad to see you up and around. 

Dan

Small progress on small things.

First I wanted to extend the exhaust cans further back. I needed a certain size tube to make it work. I found an old toilet paper holder that was the right size. I cut it to size and jammed it into the forward part of the exhaust.

vMCuv9i.jpg

Next a little shaping on the instrument cowling.

JmqJgQj.jpg

Added a few ECM bumps on the fin. These came from my resin AM kit.

kFqOXS7.jpg

And last for today, some detailing where the flaps cozy up to the fuselage.

bSW5xho.jpg

You can see that I have sprayed on a grey primer. This was because  it was almost impossible to scribe and rivet on the bare white plastic.

Dan

Edited by Dandiego

• 2 weeks later...

Progress...

Wings are on! It was a little tricky due to the fact that I cut everything up. But it looks fine at this point. Some putty to be sure but it should look fine after a little more work.

PycI3cy.jpg

Slats taped in place to see how they will look. Also to see the best way to attach them.

GcVfRHD.jpg

I have sprayed on a coat of flat gull grey to act as a primer. This is allowing me to take a look at all scribing and rivet detail. Lots of corrections will be needed.

wXQknbH.jpg

Later, Dan

Edited by Dandiego

2 updates in one weekend....Holy smokes.

My solution to adding the slats...add a metal tab, bend it the correct angle, slide it into place.

zta0Kkd.jpg

tfDN1YG.jpg

Instrument cowl. HUD frame glued in place, painted flat black and a blob of 5 minute epoxy tinted green.

6U9dztQ.jpg

And a little paint on the wheels. The kit front wheels are too big, so I found some in the spares box that look better.

qJt0PhK.jpg

Later, Dan