Hornet over Hanoi

Dandiego

My new project  has been simmering  for about 40 years. The first picture  I ever saw of the F-18 was an artist's  rendition showing the Hornet  in the gull grey over white scheme in use at the time. I have always wanted to do a "what if" model depicting this  scheme.

So  when I saw a Hasegawa  F-18 for sale at the San Diego IPMS annual June contest I snatched  it up for only $10. The Hasegawa  kit represents  a prototype aircraft which is what I needed for this project.

My narrative  is this....during  the last days of the Vietnam  War 4 early production  F-18's were sent over to enter the final days of the war to get  a combat  evaluation. Yes I know the time lines don't  line up but it's my project, so my rules.

This kit will be build as an early production  version. So the early lerx slots, shorter aelerons, and original  missile  rails will be present.

I have a resin AM  kit that will be supplying  some  details  and the Academy  Hornet that will also donate to this project.

This is a flight of fancy so  if  you don't  like "what ifs" you have been warned.

Dan

Edited by Dandiego

1 hour ago, Dandiego said:

My new project  has been simmering  for about 40 years. The first picture  I ever saw of the F-18 was an artist's  rendition showing the Hornet  in the gull grey over white scheme in use at the time. I have always wanted to do a "what if" model depicting this  scheme.

So  when I saw a Hasegawa  F-18 for sale at the San Diego IPMS annual June contest I snatched  it up for only $10. The Hasegawa  kit represents  a prototype aircraft which is what I needed for this project.

My narrative  is this....during  the last days of the Vietnam  War 4 early production  F-18'so were sent over to enter the final days of the war to get  a combat  evaluation. Yes I know the time lines don't  line up but it's my project, so my rules.

This kit will be build as an early production  version. So the early lerx slots, shorter aelerons, and original  missile  rails will be present.

I have a resin AM  kit that will be supplying  some  details  and the Academy  Hornet that will also donate to this project.

This is a flight of fancy so  if  you don't  like "what ifs" you have been warned.

Dan

All you have to do is say that the war continued for a few more years, and since the F-18 started flying inthe late 70’s, it sort of works.

Alright how about some pics...

I have started construction by assembling the rear fuselage. Air intakes. Focus Dan!

S1RqJ7C.jpg

Tail area. Some putty is needed. Also I have moved the slot for the stabs to reflect the normal drooped attitude when at rest. Vertical tails had a very loose and sloppy fit. I added shims to tighten everything up.

xquyyVi.jpg

I am re-scribing  the entire model and adding rivets using the Academy kit as a guide.

MNbIBDW.jpg

I have added intake interiors back to the compressor faces. The compressor faces are to far forward but it was going to be very difficult to move them farther back.

91wgtof.jpg

Cutting up the wings. The Academy kit gives you different parts for 4 different flap angles so I will using some of these parts to show deployed flaps.

wUuUx52.jpg

Some resin  and PE parts from the AM kit.

L3sM7R7.jpg

nNavltn.jpg

Nose cone with resin gun port already added to the nose.

WFodSca.jpg

Thanks, Dan

Edited by Dandiego

Look forward to the build, Gull Grey/White will look different on the Bug. What squadron will it be? Lots of options, could be a VF fighter or VA attack or VFA fighter /attack, or the Marine squadrons. Lots of colorful schemes, too. Will be great to see...

Don

3 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

No rest for the motivated eh Dan!   Looking great so far

Thanks Brian, if I am not building I feel that something  is missing. Also when I am  about 80% through a project  my focus shifts  to the next. I have been building this current project  for about 3 months....in my head.

4 minutes ago, dmthamade said:

Look forward to the build, Gull Grey/White will look different on the Bug. What squadron will it be? Lots of options, could be a VF fighter or VA attack or VFA fighter /attack, or the Marine squadrons. Lots of colorful schemes, too. Will be great to see...

Don

Squadron, hmmmm. Not sure yet. However probably  a Navy bird. Might make something custom for the first " Hornet Det ". I have been looking at Hornet graphics on-line to try and get some ideas. But I will try to make it believable  and in line with Vietnam  Era markings.

Dan

Ok ...next installment.

I have been working on the flaps.  After cutting them free from the wing I needed to do some filling and shaping. I used the Academy flaps as a guide as to overall shape and panel lines.

r3bKBSe.jpg

I was going rather fast this morning and ended up gluing the fuselage together before I took any pictures of the cockpit. I used the Hasegawa cockpit for a couple of reasons. First I knew it would fit and the detail was actually quite good. So after adding some sidewall detail I painted it and glued everything together. I have also epoxied the PE cockpit sill into place. It was a perfect fit.

Zzqpps5.jpg

BWYgVEF.jpg

XYNnDql.jpg

I have added the nose and a bit of a preview to the finished model, a black nose.

mFGPL0l.jpg

Basic colors on the resin seat.

a6cdy9T.jpg

Later, Dan

A small amount of progress.

I have cut out the very plain looking vent area and will be building up some actual vents.

BYwx0SV.jpg

Also some "shoot from the hip" re-enforcing of the nose to main fuselage joint.

frAF8nD.jpg

And last some reshaping of the instrument cowl to get a better shape.

psnbY9C.jpg

Dan