1/32 Aim-120

Aircav1980

The Flightpath AIM-120s are OK, but like much of their stuff, involves a lot of PE, which is somewhat overkill for things like missile fins that usually require stacking up a couple of pieces to get the required thickness in 1/32.

https://www.djparkins.com/product.php?productid=17723

Personally, I’d go for spares from the Tamiya or Academy F-16 kits.  The ones in the Tamiya F-15E Bunker Buster are OK, but their nose shapes are supposedly for the dummy CATM-120 Training missiles.  Cutting Edge also made them back in the day in resin, but they are long OOP.

Edited by Dave Williams

4 hours ago, Aircav1980 said:

How are the ones that come with the Academy F/A-18c kit and the F/A-18F Trumpeter kit?

IMO I'd go with the Academy offerings. The detailing is crisp, the markings are good enough for you to look at them when built and say 'those look pretty good' 

I tried the Flightpath set once and never hung them. They're great little mini kits, but I've never been great at working with PE, so they never quite looked the business for me. 

IMO this is a huge product gap. A pet modelling peeve of mine is missiles with thick wings and while the Tamiya (and others') offerings are nice, you'll inevitibly end up with missiles that look like models and not the real thing even when viewed from a distance. It's of course possible to sand the wings down but I for one am not able to recreate the typical and very visible Aim-120 wing profile (diamond in c/s). The Flightpath etched wings are entirely flat in profile and hence look wrong imo.

Cutting Edge used to make sets with very nice wings (they required some modification at the back), but these are about impossible to get a hold of nowadays. I used to buy them whenever I saw them on Ebay so I have a few left but they never come up on Ebay anymore. I really wish Zacto would come up with some, it's a bit strange having a beautiful Zacto Aim-9X hanging next to a thick winged and coarse-looking Aim-120. Strange that we get all manner of esoteric weapons sets from Eduard etc. (e.g. CBU-105, beautiful though that is) but not something as obvious as an Aim-120 set.

Cheers,

Marcel

PS If you are looking to hang dummy Aim-120's on your model, go for the ones in the Tamiya F-15E kit, they have the correct, blunter nose.

I have a set of CE Slammers with LAU-128 rails in the original polythene bag, with instructions. The bag's seen better days but the parts are as-new.

Kansas is a long way at Xmas time without Dorothy's ruby slippers or tonto to fetch, but if anyone nearer home needs or desires them in the early New Year please let me know.

Tony 

17 hours ago, Aircav1980 said:

Does anyone have a set from the Academy or Tamiya kit they arent using?

I have the remnants of an aborted Tamiya Falcon here; I'll check and see if the missiles are there or not.

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

What  modifications do you have to do to the CE AIM-120s?

Have a look at the back (exhaust) compared the real deal, the real thing is solid around the exhaust whereas the CE missile has a sort of recess around the exhaust.

2 hours ago, Tony T said:

I have a set of CE Slammers with LAU-128 rails in the original polythene bag, with instructions. The bag's seen better days but the parts are as-new.

Kansas is a long way at Xmas time without Dorothy's ruby slippers or tonto to fetch, but if anyone nearer home needs or desires them in the early New Year please let me know.

Tony 

Tony, would love to have those if nobody has beaten me to them, just sent you a PM...

28 minutes ago, Marcel111 said:

Tony, would love to have those if nobody has beaten me to them, just sent you a PM...

Have responded and will put them aside for you. 

Tony