Still alive and a FB-111A question

Rainer Hoffmann

Dear fellow modellers,

I haven't logged in to the forum for ages and I have probably missed a ton of great build threads ... I had a lot of work (which is good as I'm self employed) and a major home improvement project needed my attention.  And then I had some health issues. Nothing serious, but very annoying with lots of trips to physicians. So I had to put modelling on the backburner. However, the Viggen is NOT dead ;-).

However, I worked on a detailed drawing of an FB-111A, including many cross sections, that you guys can download once it's finished. Here is a teaser:

FB-111A_fuselage_stations.jpg

There are still some questions that need to be answered. Here is one:

The FB-111A used three different pylons: the inboard SRAM pivot pylon, a pivot tank pylon and fixed tank pylon on the outboard stations. From the documentation and from the very limited photographic evidendence I have, it seems that neither the pivot tank pylon nor the fixed tank pylon had sway braces. That seems a bit unusual. Can anyone confirm or disprove this?

Thanks for your help

Rainer

Edited by Rainer Hoffmann
Typos corrected

2 hours ago, Rainer Hoffmann said:

Dear fellow modellers,

I haven't logged in to the forum for ages and I have probably missed a ton of great build threads ... I had a lot of work (which is good as I'm self employed) and a major home improvement project needed my attention.  And then I had some health issues. Nothing serious, but very annoying with lots of trips to physicians. So I had to put modelling on the backburner. However, the Viggen is NOT dead ;-).

However, I worked on a detailed drawing of an FB-111A, including many cross sections, that you guys can download once it's finished. Here is a teaser:

FB-111A_fuselage_stations.jpg

There are still some questions that need to be answered. Here is one:

The FB-111A used three different pylons: the inboard SRAM pivot pylon, a pivot tank pylon and fixed tank pylon on the outboard stations. From the documentation and from the very limited photographic evidendence I have, it seems that neither the pivot tank pylon nor the fixed tank pylon had sway braces. That seems a bit unusual. Can anyone confirm or disprove this?

Thanks for your help

Rainer

Can't help you on the FB questions but I can tell you that over on ARC, a few months back, there was a pretty involved thread on the FB's external tanks.   You can try to look that one up or just post your question over there.  A few folks on that board have some pretty in-depth FB experience. 

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, wunwinglow said:

Tony is your man. I have a vague recollection of seeing a pic of one of these flying tanked up, and wings fully forward, so the non swinging tanks were toed in by quite a bit. Or is my memory finally going south...? 

Your memory is correct. With the wings fully forward during take off and landing the fixed pylons were toed in by 10 degrees. With the wings in the cruise setting (26 degrees) they were parallel to the aircraft centerline.

Imagine the drag during take off considering that the FB-111A was, let's say, a bit underpowered ...

Cheers

Rainer