HK Lanc

Phartycr0c

21 hours ago, mgunns said:

I heard last night, 12/04/18, from one of the local hobby shop owners that the HK Lanc has been pushed back to March of 2019.  Anyone heard anything similiar?

it hasn't, the distributor put pics on facebook the other day, they already have it.

Maybe your hobby shop has missed out or was too late ordering and cant get any and hopes you will fall for it whilst everyone else is building theirs....:)

Edited by Markjames1968

2 minutes ago, Robthepom said:

I read with surprise that the production run was 2000 kits, i thought more would have been made, or am i overestimating our market 

I've been thinking the same thing, I was wondering whether making kits and accessories  in 1:32 is a bit of a mistake. I'm seriously considering 1:48. I think the number of people who actively spend around £100 1:32 on kits may be only 200 worldwide?

Graham 

I think the first 2,000 produced have the clear fuselage. Since it is sans surface details, they only ran 2,000 copies before upgrading the molds to produce the standard styrene ones with surface texture, I presume. I'm sure they will produce, and sell, more than 2,000 of these.

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

48 minutes ago, Bradleygolding said:

Hearn's Hobbies here in Aus have confirmed AUD$414.99 as the price, and with a code you get 5% off with free delivery. So that's about $390 on the doorstep. I might just have to buy one!

Steve

for me personally that seems very reasonable price for the kit that size and complexity

14 hours ago, GrahamF said:

I've been thinking the same thing, I was wondering whether making kits and accessories  in 1:32 is a bit of a mistake. I'm seriously considering 1:48. I think the number of people who actively spend around £100 1:32 on kits may be only 200 worldwide?

Graham 

There must be more of us than that surly, USA UK Japan China etc etc, I'd have thought it would be in thousands

18 hours ago, GrahamF said:

Graham 

Have to disagree here. There are surely thousands of modelers building in 1:32 scale. Not all are on forums. 

21 hours ago, Robthepom said:

I read with surprise that the production run was 2000 kits, i thought more would have been made, or am i overestimating our market 

I wonder how many they will do of the B24? Maybe a second production run with corrections?

17 hours ago, Dennis7423 said:

I think the first 2,000 produced have the clear fuselage. Since it is sans surface details, they only ran 2,000 copies before upgrading the molds to produce the standard styrene ones with surface texture, I presume. I'm sure they will produce, and sell, more than 2,000 of these.

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

The first batch of kits will come with both clear and normal fuselage halves in the same kit. 

22 hours ago, GrahamF said:

Graham 

Like others here, I would gently suggest that your view is too pessimistic Graham.  Tamiya and ZM routinely exceed the £100 threshold and Trumpeter comes close. Many of us choose to add AM accessories (admittedly these can be bought after purchase (or in the case of the Lancaster IP BEFORE ;))) that also bumps up the ££.  The armour chaps routinely pay big ££ for their muddy clanky things.  HpH exceed £200 fairly routinely and WNW are also well into the 3 figure ballpark.

Stick with 32. Or do both...

Edited by Padraic Conway
Poster incompetence

22 hours ago, Robthepom said:

As noted by others, this is a limited edition, initial production run with the clear fuselage. I'm sure the next run will be considerably bigger.

At this price, a kit like this will be aimed at hardcore modellers like us. I'm sure it could, however, sell 10,000 worldwide. North America, Europe and Japan alone represent almost 800,000,000 people. Add in China's huge, fast growing, relatively wealthy middle class and the potential market climbs over 2 billion. 10,000 equals 0.0005%. Or if you've bought a Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire, then you'd maybe consider buying a 1/32 Lancaster, and I think Tamiya sold a lot of Spitfires, demand enough to do 3 versions.

22 hours ago, GrahamF said:

Graham 

200? I'd guess the UK has far more than 200! Look at WNW, their 2 seaters are in excess of £100 and they sell out. And that's a relatively small niche. So I'd say closer to 20,000 than 200.

However, I tend to agree that 1/48 sells more. It's cheaper, takes up less space, has less parts and builds quicker. I can see the attraction, just as 1/24 sells less than 1/32.

So the 1/48 market is bigger, with more models of more types of aeroplanes. However, I'm not sure how that translates into the AM industry, as I'd guess a of the kits are bought by grannies and parents, and by part-time model builders, who may only model one kit a year, or one kit in their lifetimes. They are not going to be buying AM. Plus the existing 1/48 AM industry seems quite crowded. If you are nimble enough, you can sell quite high volumes of 1/32 AM as you have expert knowledge that many companies can't match. Maybe analyse your sales, see if you are making more money from 1/48 or 1/32?

27 minutes ago, Padraic Conway said:

Like others here, I would gently suggest that your view is too pessimistic Graham.  Tamiya and ZM routinely exceed the £100 threshold and Trumpeter comes close. Many of us choose to add AM accessories (admittedly these can be bought after purchase (or in the case of the Lancaster IP BEFORE ;))) that also bumps up the ££.  The armour chaps routinely pay big ££ for their muddy clanky things.  HpH exceed £200 fairly routinely and WNW are also well into the 3 figure ballpark.

Stick with 32. Or do both...

OK I take your point, maybe I should jack my prices up to HPH levels perhaps keeping my Kit below the £100 mark is sending out the wrong message.

Graham