Sign in to follow this  
Juggernut

Speaking of Hasegawa.... What's up?

Another thread I've been reading got me to thinking....  We haven't seen a new-tool kit (in 1/32) from these guys in quite some time.  The last new-tool release was the A6M5c in April of 2016 (almost three years now) according to Hobbylink Japan (the I-16 doesn't count as it's not their kit, I believe it's the ICM kit).  I'm wondering if they've fallen on hard times, are investing their money in other areas or if they're quietly awaiting the next Shizuoka show to debut something new that they've been working on in the interim.  Anybody got the low-down? 

There's loads of subjects (insert your wishkit here from their existing 1/48 line) they can tackle based on their 1/48 scale kit range.  I'm not saying all they need to do is upscale their 1/48 kits; what I am saying is the a lot of the preliminary research done on those kits would apply to the same kit in 1/32 (sans any shape/detail errors on the 1/48 versions).  I'd be ok if they'd bring all (or most) of their 1/48 Japanese WWII aircraft into the 1/32 realm (yes, that includes the B5N and the D3 Stephen :lol:) and some others like the Typhoon (car door and bubble top). 

Edited by Juggernut
Added content

Its odd aint it, seems just like yesterday they launched the Zero, but with 3 Tamiya ones already I'm happy with what I have for this classic Aircraft, heard the Hasegawa kit is a real nice kit though.

Its more Tamiya for 1/32 aircraft kits I'm worried about, every projected release pattern theory thats been put forward has fallen apart ... I think they are taking a break from this series and perhaps for years, perhaps a decade or more that has happened before, they owe us nothing and they have given a lot, so fair play if true ... I really think thats how Tamiya are going just now, emphasis seems to be going back to 1/48 and no doubt about it they are knocking them out of the park recently with some amazing looking kits in that scale, the 109, the F-14's and now Spitfire ... am tempted to try one :) Tamiya took 1/32 kit engineering perfection to the extreme, perhaps they are realising and especially in current global financial climate this is not so profitable anymore at this time?   None of us really know for sure ... myself especially, its just guesswork.

I sure hope Hasegawa spring back with more 1/32, would hate to lose their less well engineered but still accurate enough masterpieces too.

Well, since Hobbico went belly up, they were the American distributors for Hasegawa and Italeri. Who has picked these companies up for distributorship? Anyone know?

The last two Hasegawa kits that I worked on, were really wonderful in so many areas. If there was a shortfall with them, it was clearly of my own doing.  As to new releases, I'd not be surprised to see something new from them in the next year or two, not at all surprised.

1 hour ago, Southern Bandit said:

Its odd aint it, seems just like yesterday they launched the Zero, but with 3 Tamiya ones already I'm happy with what I have for this classic Aircraft, heard the Hasegawa kit is a real nice kit though.

Its more Tamiya for 1/32 aircraft kits I'm worried about, every projected release pattern theory thats been put forward has fallen apart ... I think they are taking a break from this series and perhaps for years, perhaps a decade or more that has happened before, they owe us nothing and they have given a lot, so fair play if true ... I really think thats how Tamiya are going just now, emphasis seems to be going back to 1/48 and no doubt about it they are knocking them out of the park recently with some amazing looking kits in that scale, the 109, the F-14's and now Spitfire ... am tempted to try one :) Tamiya took 1/32 kit engineering perfection to the extreme, perhaps they are realising and especially in current global financial climate this is not so profitable anymore at this time?   None of us really know for sure ... myself especially, its just guesswork.

I sure hope Hasegawa spring back with more 1/32, would hate to lose their less well engineered but still accurate enough masterpieces too.

A while ago Andy from Andy's Hobby Headquarters (a youtube channel featuring a hobby shop owner in Arizona, USA) mentioned that he had heard through the grapevine that Tamiya was getting out of the 1/32 aircraft business and focusing, instead, on 1/48 scale.

The rationale was that they can do three 1/48 projects in the time it takes to do one 1/32 project.

How true that is I have no idea.

Tamiya is a flakey company and they do whatever they want, whenever they want to do it.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if we don't see another 1/32 aircraft release for years from them!  Then again, they might announce in the spring!  Who knows!

I have no inside information, but I have a sneaking suspicion that Hasegawa may indeed be having a hard time.  The Chinese are killing them.  It's a tiny little company that doesn't have the virtually unlimited resources of Tamiya.

35 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

I have no inside information, but I have a sneaking suspicion that Hasegawa may indeed be having a hard time.  The Chinese are killing them.  It's a tiny little company that doesn't have the virtually unlimited resources of Tamiya.

That's what I'm afraid of... They're really small so I fear they may be having troubles but like you, I have no direct knowledge.  I like the Hasegawa kits (the newer ones anyway... the 1970's kits are too long in the tooth for me [excepting the Ki-43 which is really the only game in town]).  I haven't even seen them rereleasing a bunch of their existing molds with new decals either.... which worries me as well.  Yes, they've done a few but not with the perceived regularity that they have in the past.

This makes me think about a possibly related topic: the fact the announced Eduard P-40K seems to have fall into the limbos. I do not know where the problem is coming from (Eduard or Hasegawa) but this is another interesting observation.