Anyone with an HpH Tigercat

Out2gtcha

.....I need your help......

Im about to start the nacelles on my F7F and found a problem with my port nacelle , and was hoping someone with the kit could see if theres is the same way.

On my copy, the starboard nacelle is perfectly fine:

20181124_153442-XL.jpg

The port nacelle on in my kit however has a nasty surprise in the back end.

It appears to be a resin copy of a temporary plug that should have been removed before casting:

20181124_153450-XL.jpg

20181124_153455-XL.jpg

If anyone who has this kit could check their kit and see if theirs has the same issue as mine does it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

12 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

Brian, my kit does not have the plug, both nacelles are open.

I can't tell the two apart - are they handed?

Thanks Ray....yes, the port and starboard nacelles each have opposite facing upper rear areas that but up to the trailing edge of the wing.

11 hours ago, kalashnikov-47 said:

Brian, mine is the same as yours.

Bummer! Im thinking something along what Harild mentioned that something happened in the mold process, and it appears some kits have it and sime dont.

I'll definitely drop HpH a line and see if I can get a replacement nacelle with no plug.

the plug is probably from a mould that gets damaged as production runs increase in number, early kits will be fine, mid batch kits will have 1 plug, late batch will have 2, its where there a piece of mould missing from being damaged when extracting it from the part.. nothing they can do UNLESS they have made a new mould from their masters

15 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

Damn it! I have the same plug in BOTH nacelles of my kit!

Damn Theirry..............that stinks!  There is a triangular resin plate piece that goes into that area that simulates the upper surface of the wheel well, and Im not sure it will fit in the upper part of the nacelle with those plugs in. 

11 minutes ago, Markjames1968 said:

the plug is probably from a mould that gets damaged as production runs increase in number, early kits will be fine, mid batch kits will have 1 plug, late batch will have 2, its where there a piece of mould missing from being damaged when extracting it from the part.. nothing they can do UNLESS they have made a new mould from their masters

Well that would be a disappointment (once again) if true and they come back (once again) and tell me the messed up part I have is not possible to replace. 

I love LOVE the Tigercat.  I hate to say it, but it really seems like its one thing after another with this kit. 

I think you need to think about what can be seen in there on the 1/1 thing.

Firstly, it needs to come out as the extra weight might affect it's need for extra noseweight.

I don't know the aircraft but I would assume there is a bulkhead or two down there for structural strength?

If you dremel out the plug, will this extra piece you mention cover it up or how about using the opening as a guide for a bulkhead then reducing it's overall size to slide down in there to cover up yer drillin?

Edited by PhilB

1 minute ago, PhilB said:

I think you need to think about what can be seen in there on the 1/1 thing.

Firstly, it needs to come out as the extra weight might affect it's need for extra noseweight.

I don't know the aircraft but I would assume there is a bulkhead or two down there for structural strength?

If you dremel out the plug, will this extra piece you mention cover it up or how about using the opening as a guide for a bulkhead then reducing it's overall size to slide down in there to cover up yer drillin?

Actually there is a surprising amount you can see if you stick your head in the well of the real deal. In this one, there is a plate blocking the full view, but you can actually see down there.

f7f.mainwell.rear-XL.jpg

Never thought of the weight aspect of it really. I dont think it weights a lot, but the perforated section you see above, is the resin plate HpH have you slide along the top of the well and gets incorporated to make the roof of the well.  I dont think it will fully slide all the way back where it needs to go with that plug still in place.