ZOUKEI MURA 2019-2020 - NEW P-51B/C, Bf-109G and Ar-234 ANNOUNCED!!!!!!

Jan_G

3 hours ago, Eagle Driver said:

The thread is about Zoukei-Mura. One of the Top 3 kit manufacturers in the World currently. Probably number 1.

How come junk as Revell made its way into that? Have you seen Revell's boxes? Plastic? Clears? 

Let's get serious now, can we?

It’s funny that nobody seems to remember that ZM did have their dab at a 1/32 scale P-51D somewhere around 2012-2014.

Released with the customary ZM tralala - the Old Man’s blessings, the ‘vintage’ looking Concept Notes, etc...- it was over-engineered and overloaded with superfluous details inside out (some of it imaginary). But its big issue is that it had some shape issues and didn’t resemble a P-51D when finished. 

Add to that the fact that ZM decided to release it right after Tamiya released its meisterwerk (probably with the intention of stealing some of the Big T’s thunder).The comparison was lethal to the ZM offering which since lays smouldering under the pile of reduced-priced items.

It’s good news that the P-51B/C did finally find some interest from a major company. But I’d wait to see the final product to rejoice.

Now I’d be the first to be overjoyed if Radu B. announces that he’s working on a -B for the next Revell kit.

2 hours ago, PhilB said:

Well, for over £700 that De Agostini lot do a 1/144 scale one.

It says length in that scale is 540mm?

Shirley can't be right?

:o:lol:

https://www.model-space.com/gb/thunderbird-2-full-kit.html

Wow! Out of my pocket money range but looks great!  The "real thing" is supposed to be 76m long, so 54cm is about right for 1/144. Actual length in something over the top like 1/48 would be 158.3 cm - imagine that next to a 1/48 Vulcan and Victor!?!

27 minutes ago, quang said:

It’s... [snip] 

...good news that the P-51B/C did finally find some interest from a major company. But I’d wait to see the final product to rejoice.

Now I’d be the first to be overjoyed if Radu B. announces that he’s working on a -B for the next Revell kit.

Guessing the extended dorsal fillet D boxing next. I'd be particularly delighted if Radu B is working on a Revell 1/32 Wildcat, Hellcat or Griffon Spitty.

I believe Mr Tamiya is having a hiatus from 1/32 and there won't be anything all-new for years, but we now have two new P-51B/Cs in the pipeline already, from HK Models and Z-M - which seems plenty.

Tony 

53 minutes ago, quang said:

It’s funny that nobody seems to remember that ZM did have their dab at a 1/32 scale P-51D somewhere around 2012-2014.

Released with the customary ZM tralala - the Old Man’s blessings, the ‘vintage’ looking Concept Notes, etc...- it was over-engineered and overloaded with superfluous details inside out (some of it imaginary). But its big issue is that it had some shape issues and didn’t resemble a P-51D when finished

Add to that the fact that ZM decided to release it right after Tamiya released its meisterwerk (probably with the intention of stealing some of the Big T’s thunder).The comparison was lethal to the ZM offering which since lays smouldering under the pile of reduced-priced items.

Although I DO like ZM kits ... for a lot of reasons ...

I like a lot of subjects made by others also ... There is not One. Single. Company. Out there that has made a perfect kit of anything ... Ever!

Every single kit ever made falls down in one or more areas, being any of Accuracy of subject represented; Engineering, fit and finish; Level and clarity of detail; Instructions; Painting and markings.

Granted ... some have come close ... and a precious few companies do it more often with subjects released than others seem to.

Reasons for this may be numerous ... and it's pretty much pointless conjecture in any case.

Everyone may like or dislike a particular subject made by a particular company for a variety of reasons ...

But sweeping and dramatically emotive statements like the above (framed as if they were fact ... and not opinion) add nothing positive to the overall conversation.

From someone who has had the experience of constructing both Tamiya and ZM kits of the P.51D ... My preference is with the ZM - hands down.

The Tamiya kit is ever-so-slightly more accurate ... but only the most fastidious would probably notice the subtle differences ... I certainly don't.

What I did notice was how much more interesting and satisfying the ZM kit was to build (for me personally) and how much more restrained the surface detail was (especially in the area of the wings) - which seemed to represent the real deal in a much better fashion. I had to fill and sand the ones on the Tamiya kit to gain the smooth look that I have seen on the type from 3 metres away.

Interestingly ... of the two, I found the Tamiya kit to be more 'overly engineered' than the ZM kit ... or maybe this observation was borne more as result of the frustration in assembly? Who knows?

These, of course ... are all opinions ... and my preferences and observations do not reflect the experiences or opinions of others which are just as valid as my own.

Rog :)

I have been reading these latest posts and I keep thinking: "haven't we had this same discussion thousands of times before?"

You do not see the same discussions about anything else, snowboards, burgers, mobile phones, running shoes, golf clubs. In fact, in no other area of humanity do we ever see the bizarre arguments we see about 1/32 aircraft models. Why is company X selling a new type of ice cream when we already have all the ice cream we will ever need? Why are they making a new TV programme about WW2 when the other TV programme is already more accurate? 
Choice is always a good thing. This is supposed to be a hobby, a relaxing hobby. If this causes you such distress, you are doing it wrong. 

Radu 

20 minutes ago, Artful69 said:

These, of course ... are all opinions ... and my preferences and observations do not reflect the experiences or opinions of others which are just as valid as my own.

Rog :)

Indeed Rog.

I value and respect your opinion. Thank you for sharing.

Quang

8 minutes ago, Jan_G said:

OK guys, pls let's get back on topic. This thread is about planned Zoukei Mura releases for upcoming years :D

I build so far 3 of their kits and currently working on Ki-45 already and I enjoy every bit of it.

jan

Oooo..... You have Started the Ki-45 already?  Any photos?

Rick

8 minutes ago, Rick Griewski said:

Oooo..... You have Started the Ki-45 already?  Any photos?

Rick

Not so far Rick :)

need to finish Ta-154 first and during the week I will put some paint on Ki-45 parts and will share it within WIP

jan

Edited by Jan_G

3 hours ago, quang said:

Released with the customary ZM tralala - the Old Man’s blessings, the ‘vintage’ looking Concept Notes, etc...- it was over-engineered and overloaded with superfluous details inside out (some of it imaginary). But its big issue is that it had some shape issues and didn’t resemble a P-51D when finished. 

If the ZM kit doesn’t resemble a P-51D when finished, what does it resemble?  I’ve never heard that the kit had any serious shape issues, and certainly nothing to support the statement that it didn’t resemble a P-51, or the other hyperbole that the ZM lays smoldering under the pile of reduced price offerings.  

Yes, the kit is over engineered, like many of their kits, and has some incorrect internal details like spars and formers, but most of that stuff gets hidden when the model is built and painted, so at most it’s extra work that doesn’t add much to the final product, but doesn’t really detract from it either because it can’t be seen.  The fit may not be quite up to Tamiya standard either, but what is, and isn’t bad by any stretch of the imagination.

Can you relate what some of the “shape issues” are?

Regarding the new ZM kits I am very excited about the P-51B and the others we will wait and see on personally as they are not top interests for me or I already have a kit in the stash of the subject.

I will offer my "vote" if anyone from ZM watches these threads that they keep the engineering complexity down on their P-51B or even offer a "basic" version without all the inside stuff that cannot be seen after wing/fuselage closure but its not a deal breaker for me if they do not....

Wow. I wake up, grab my usual cup of coffee and open up my Ipad.  We have Six awesome pages of ZM banter!  How cool is that Gent’s?!?   I can casually brush off the negative comments where some need to put in there personal jabs at these proposed releases, but I’d say the majority of us are just shocked and extremely happy with the news.   I’ve waited a LONG time for a decent P-51B/C.  I’m still in a happy state of bliss over these proposed announcement.  Moreover,  Don’t forget the Ki-45 release, Hs-129 future release, short nosed FW-190 releases, P-51B/C future release, Ar 234 release (please consider the four engined C Mr. ZM).  I will buy a BF-109G because it’s my favorite aircraft.  I don’t see many people jumping all over the other manufacturers when they announce a new WWI kit or a modern jet.  I just don’t care much about these specific areas in aviation history.  I do however get a lot of enjoyment seeing someone take a jet vacuform and create a Viking out of a basic shell or the Willie the whale being put together on this forum.  The talent here is awesome and limitless.  Let’s just be happy for once knowing someone’s finally listening to us for once and releasing what we really want.  I would hope the Doriner 17 comes to light for some of you too.  More jets and more French WWI aircraft please for my mates.  

Now let’s get some more good banter going.  Decals and aftermarket items!    Leave the negitive comments for the other sites.

cheers,

Troy

2 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

If the ZM kit doesn’t resemble a P-51D when finished, what does it resemble?  I’ve never heard that the kit had any serious shape issues, and certainly nothing to support the statement that it didn’t resemble a P-51, or the other hyperbole that the ZM lays smoldering under the pile of reduced price offerings.  

Yes, the kit is over engineered, like many of their kits, and has some incorrect internal details like spars and formers, but most of that stuff gets hidden when the model is built and painted, so at most it’s extra work that doesn’t add much to the final product, but doesn’t really detract from it either because it can’t be seen.  The fit may not be quite up to Tamiya standard either, but what is, and isn’t bad by any stretch of the imagination.

Can you relate what some of the “shape issues” are?

It’s been quite a while since I investigated the various 1/32 P-51D kits (before settling on the Revell offering).

But AFAIR the main issue of the ZM is a too-rounded belly at the radiator level, resulting in a slightly off-looking radiator inlet and exhaust scoop. This oddity is readily apparent on the Valiant Wings book ironically devoted to the building of the ZM kit. That feature alone would throw off the sleek lines of the Mustang.

On a lesser matter, the tail is a tad too tall (easy to correct) and the diameter of the Hamilton Standard prop slightly undersized.

The details in the cockpit and the wheel bays (areas of prime importance to the superdetailer) are vague and uninspiring.

This is all I can recall by now but if you looking for something more specific just google the review of Christian A. who knows more about Mustangs than the average modeller.

As for the reduced-price topic, the retail price of the ZM Mustang at its release was slightly superior to its Tamiya counterpart. Now it’s selling at 100 euro at the biggest retailer in Belgium while the Tamiya retails at 130 euro and 145 euro (Pacific Mustang).

Draw your own conclusion.

13 minutes ago, quang said:

But AFAIR the main issue of the ZM is a too-rounded belly at the radiator level, resulting in a slightly off-looking radiator inlet and exhaust scoop. 

On a lesser matter, the tail is a tad too tall 

The details in the cockpit and the wheel bays (areas of prime importance to the superdetailer) are vague and uninspiring.

1st is based on what? Drawings? Where from and who guarantees their authenticity? 

2nd is based on what? Again drawings, again the same question?

Details are uninspiring? I was inspired by Slayer in my teens now I am inspired by Vivaldi.

What guarantees me that what inspires someone as a modeler won't repel me from the kit?

If the prop was wrong by the way, an aftermarket company would've been on it like a buzzard on a gut wagon by now. I don't know, maybe they are already.