ZOUKEI MURA 2019-2020 - NEW P-51B/C, Bf-109G and Ar-234 ANNOUNCED!!!!!!

Jan_G

10 hours ago, Artful69 said:

Personally I think it might have been a more successful marketing strategy to just design the kits to be built as SWS ... then box a run of the slightly cheaper Basic Series with a load of parts missing for a simpler build ... wherever your sales end up (demand wise) determines your production run of each kit type for the next release.

A la Eduard Weekend in 1/48? Makes a lot of sense to me too.

Guest Vincent

It's really a shame for the Revell G6 because all they had to do was to come to Finland and scan the a/c like Tamiya did. The finnish G6s are a perfectly valid basis for any G6 variant as they are both MTT manufactured and very originals...

4 hours ago, Padraic Conway said:

A la Eduard Weekend in 1/48? Makes a lot of sense to me too.

I think it would be more complex than what Eduard does with the Profipack and Weekend kits.  Eduard uses the same plastic parts for both, but for the Profipack series, they add resin, PE, masks, and many more decals.  For the weekend kits, it simple to just leave out all of those extra non-plastic bits.

ZM kits generally are all plastic, don’t have resin or PE, and usually only have two or three markings options.  All of their detail items are optional extra purchases.  To have a simplier and lower cost version of their kits, they would have to leave out a bunch of plastic.  They would probably have to take more care in the sprue layouts so that all of the common parts for both the Basic and Full Detail versions were on  certain sprues, and then there would be extra sprues just for the Full Detal versions (e.g. Basic = Sprues (A-E), Full Detail = Sprues (A-E + F-H)).  Since ZM has to pay for the molds of all of the sprues A-H, it’s not clear how much cheaper a Basic series would be.

On 1/2/2019 at 5:02 PM, Artful69 said:

I know you would rather it be in Basic format as stated previously, I'm just not sure how much cheaper it will be -

No one does but them, but there's a happy medium where the decrease is made up for in volume sales.

or whether the retail pricing reduction (if any) will be significant enough to sway purchase of one over another in the market place.

There's also the market that prefers simpler kits regardless of price (like me) which I think is undoubtedly the larger segment.

From last news I had on the release schedule ... The A-4 was supposed to be the designated as the first sale in the line up ... followed shortly by the A-3. The lack of a simultaneous release means that the A-4 may outsell the A-3 regardless, based on availability alone?  Does the bulk of the market (choosing one option only) prefer the A-3 ... or the A-4?

Folks who don't know or care about the difference will wait for the less expensive. Folks who do,  know that the hop from a -4 to a -3 and vise-versa,  is a short one.

Then there's KH's new A-5  :whistle::popcorn:

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 4:24 PM, Dave Williams said:

I think it would be more complex than what Eduard does with the Profipack and Weekend kits.  Eduard uses the same plastic parts for both, but for the Profipack series, they add resin, PE, masks, and many more decals.  For the weekend kits, it simple to just leave out all of those extra non-plastic bits.

ZM kits generally are all plastic, don’t have resin or PE, and usually only have two or three markings options.  All of their detail items are optional extra purchases.  To have a simplier and lower cost version of their kits, they would have to leave out a bunch of plastic.  They would probably have to take more care in the sprue layouts so that all of the common parts for both the Basic and Full Detail versions were on  certain sprues, and then there would be extra sprues just for the Full Detal versions (e.g. Basic = Sprues (A-E), Full Detail = Sprues (A-E + F-H)).  Since ZM has to pay for the molds of all of the sprues A-H, it’s not clear how much cheaper a Basic series would be.

I meant the Eduard comparison as more of a simple summary of the situation or a metaphor, rather than as a precise literal comparison. As in all-inclusive vs good quality starting point.

I have several ZM kits, most with additional ZM details, so I understand how these are presented and can be upgraded if the purchaser wishes.

Mind you, your ideas for sprue layouts make sense; no reason why engine details/interior structures couldn't be designed into the sprue layout so that the relevant sprues are included or omitted according to the boxing.  But the tooling issue stands, so I also think that a Basic series model will also not be that much cheaper than an SWS issue.

Tooling costs aside, both Basic and SWS versions will have similar raw material, R&D, CAD, marketing, packaging, transportation, storage, importation, taxation (at least here in the UK), distribution and retailer markup cost additions to the initial tooling.

Probably end up costing the same...   :whistle:   

Or just being the same with different instructions marking more parts as 'not for use' in the basic version...    :huh:

8 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Where do you guys get this stuff?  Revell "chose to ignore" the people who were helping them?  Based on what evidence?  You were in the room when the decision to "choose to ignore" these highly knowledgeable people who were helping them?

Some of them participate in other forums and said so themselves.

Quite disappointed they were.

We shouldn´t dig out the RevG 109G story again with all the things which went wrong and lead to much frustration. I am pretty sure that ZM has the resources to iron out all shortcomings of the existing 109 as there are missing items, wrong shapes, missing detail and suboptimal molding quality. My only hope is that they will offer a "mainstream taste" kit with a decent cockpit and a well done cockpit and wheel bay but leaving out the engine and all the invisible interior (which was fairly done with Revell´s P-51). With a price target of 50 - 60 this kit can become a real bummer. But please, P-51B/C first, then 109 and FW 190 in the later future.

Regards

Andreas Beck

If the past is any indication, HKM and ZM will announce their B/C P-51s about the same time.   IMHO, having options, especially for a subject as popular as any P-51 would be,  can only be a good thing. 

I think a well done and accurate, even simplified P-51 B/C kit would be a licence to print money IMHO. 

15 minutes ago, LSP_Mike said:

I think that the concept of correct shape, geometry, and concentrating  detail in the 'pit, and wheel wells works for a lot of modelers.

In part for me yes, however in part no.  My favorite kits are the Tamiya ones with removable cowlings and such where you can close it up or open it up depending on the day or your mood.  If I have a choice of open engine or closed engine only then I am going closed engine.  

The P-51B has something of a complex canopy, I would like to see open and closed options engineered into the design.  I prefer not to be committed into one or the other.  

I like having the extra detail but I like being able to enjoy the lines of the plane so I want the option to open or close vs having to commit to all open or closed because the panels cannot be retained in place or won’t fit with the engine fully detailed and installed.