ZOUKEI MURA 2019-2020 - NEW P-51B/C, Bf-109G and Ar-234 ANNOUNCED!!!!!!

Jan_G

I never needed drawings to know if a model looks right or not. Especially when the error is so blatantly evident. My eyeball is all I need.

In the case of the ZM  Mustang, all you have to do is to compare a head-on photo of the ZM kit and of the real thing.

If you can see the difference, fine! If you don’t see it, it’s also OK by me.

I used the word ‘uninspiring’ because I was in a merciful mood. On a good day I would have called it ‘a gross caricature’.

Having said that I’m not here to demonstrate that the ZM P-51D is lacking since I made my choice and went on.

Now if you really think the ZM Mustang is a fantastic scale model, who am I to contradict you?  Did I even ask you to demonstrate why the Revell kit is so ...’mediocre’?

‘Nuff said

Quang

1 hour ago, seiran01 said:

+1 to all of Eagle Driver’s comments/questions. And +3 to Slayer (though I’m still a huge fan at 35)

I am too, try to never miss a concert within 1000 mile radius. :)

59 minutes ago, quang said:

I never needed drawings to know if a model looks right or not. Especially when the error is so blatantly evident. My eyeball is all I need.

I used the word ‘uninspiring’ because I was in a merciful mood. On a good day I would have called it ‘a gross caricature’.

Did I even ask you to demonstrate why the Revell kit is so ...’mediocre’?

‘Nuff said

Quang

Your eyeball is all you need to comment on accuracy? Wow. You are right. 'nuff said.

I've never seen such comment as 'gross caricature' on ZM kit. Nothing to wonder, since you are eyeballing your kits.

Did I have to demonstrate anything on Revell? Everyone protecting the brand was so passionate, yet the price speaks for itself.

Eyeball for accuracy. What a joke.

Here in the US, the Tamiya P-51 is normally much more expensive than the Z-M kit.  Retail on the Z-M Mustangs is around $100, and normal discounts, if any, are only a few dollars.  The Tamiya kit retails for over $200, and is more heavily discounted, but normally is still at least $40 more than the Z-M kit for “street” price.

I don't know where you people shop, but you might be doing something wrong:

Tamiya P-51D - https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004WBBZWA/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Zoukei Mura P-51D - https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B008X2JG4S/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Just examples of fairly standard internet pricing for those kits.

HTH,

D

As an FYI and in case anyone's interested, one can get the Tamiya P-51D kit (initial release) for $99, shipped, directly from Tamiya.  Tamiya USA P-51D kit from Tamiya USA

The ZM kit is $95 directly from Volks USA plus the shipping costs ($18.20 to my zipcode via UPS) so in effect, the ZM kit costs more than does the Tamiya kit, directly from the manufacturer. ZM P-51D from Volks USA

If you go to the most popular online hobby shops, you'll see the large difference in price between the two as Dave alluded to. 

There are issues with both kits as far as detail accuracy is concerned, no big surprise there.  What caught my eye, in a negative way, regarding the ZM kit was the instrument panel and how it resembled 1970's tooling technology and the fact (which may or may not be important) is that you can only build one production block version from the ZM kit whereas there are three basic choices given in the Tamiya kit (which therein lay some of the detail inaccuracies of the Tamiya kit).

Having said that and in the spirit of the original thread, I am happy to see that ZM have announced their plan to release a P-51B/C.  I'm quite sure it'll be light years ahead of the Trumpeter offering and may or may not beat the HK offering to market.  I can't say one way or the other regarding the HK kit as no further information regarding the kit has been forthcoming since it was announced a couple years ago.  If ZM does a 109G-10, I may be interested in acquiring one but any of the other G's, nope, not interested... I'm basically 109'd out with a Hasegawa F-2, F-4 and a Revell G-10.  The 234 sounds interesting and I may find myself with one of those too provided it's the original schnellbomber...with the landing gear.   I'm not really keen on the C version (if that's the one with the BMW engines).

I find this all very odd and disappointing... For years people on the site have been moaning and wishing (me not the least) for a new mold, high quality P-51 B... and (me not so much) a 109 G... Now we have this announcement and it seems the rivet counters, the never satisfied types feel the need to trash the kits 2 YEARS before they come available. Cost ? too much they scream, Accuracy ? Flawed and unbuildable...

Well, for me I'm thrilled beyond !! The P-51 is a dream come true and ZM has been getting better with each kit they bring out so if there are some issues I'm sure they will be minor and correctable with a bit of modeling skills and or aftermarket. I for one love the way they add in detail.. saves me endless hours of scratch building. The 109 G is another sure bet for me along with the FW 190 A4. I'm not in for the 1/24 Hellcat but I share the thrill for those who never dreamed they might see such a thing !

These are undreamed of days for those of us who remember what it was like dreaming of kits like this 20 or 30 years ago... mainstream 1/32 injection molded, high quality kits of our dream machines. We have various price and quality/ detail ranges...aftermarket all over the place, photo etch, decals and you name it... we are so d*mn lucky to be living right now. Yes the top end is expensive.. always has been that way... but then, everything of top quality always is... but man !.. 1/32 4 eng. bombers ?.. Who 10 years ago would have believed this ?... I'm not gonna get them but I'm in awe and thrilled for those who will get and build these big beautiful beasts.

I'm gathering up stuff for the upcoming group build and am going to let people vent and talk trash if they must....whilst I build one of my life long dreams that just arrived in the mail. We can either inspire & support the community here by being positive and building, correcting what needs correcting and finding inspiration in each others work... or we set about destroying this community by trashing kits, companies and each other with thinly veiled, snarky comments.

I choose to build and support.

Vaughn

I don't think there were any complaints regards the Tamiya 1/48 Bf 109G-6, folk just appreciated the kit for what it is, I have faith the ZM Bf 109G will be the best kit of the type, period, hopefully be a best seller, and help ZM fund their more esoteric releases.

As has been said, we should appreciate what we've got, and those kits on their way. I remember when Matchbox said they were doing no more 1/32 kits, and it looked very much like the scale was dead.

2 hours ago, D Bellis said:

I don't know where you people shop, but you might be doing something wrong:

Tamiya P-51D - https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004WBBZWA/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Zoukei Mura P-51D - https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B008X2JG4S/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Just examples of fairly standard internet pricing for those kits.

HTH,

D

An imperfect comparison using Amazon.  The prices are comparing sellers in Japan for the Tamiya kit where it’s possible to play the currency rate game, with US sellers for the Z-M kit, which are sometimes higher through Amazon than you would get pay if you bought direct from the same shops.  Some actual prices from websites:

Scale Hobbyist:  Z-M P-51D - $95, Tamiya P-51D $123 (in cart price, MAP price is $146)

Sprue Brothers:  Z-M P-51D $105, Tamiya P-51D $146

Volks USA store: Z-M P-51D $95

In short, all the Amazon numbers show is that it’s cheaper to buy the Tamiya kit from overseas sellers because of favorable currency exchange rates, and that if you do that, the price to the Tamiya kit drops close to the “real” price of the Z-M kit, which is inflated on Amazon.  If you buy both kits from a US vendor, the Z-M kit will be cheaper.

On 11/24/2018 at 2:18 PM, Eagle Driver said:

Energy is wasted in one way or another.

Unless you are building for someone else, the whole point of model building, or indeed any hobby, is to waste time and energy doing something you enjoy. Or am I doing it wrong.

16 hours ago, Eagle Driver said:

Or Tesla Model S with Honda?

Now you've done it! As much as I'd love to be able to justify spending over $100k on a P100D,  I still love my absolutely reliable, rock solid 12-year I old Honda Accord, that has over 150.000 miles on it and hasn't had anything other than normal routine maintenance. 

1 hour ago, Kagemusha said:

I don't think there were any complaints regards the Tamiya 1/48 Bf 109G-6, folk just appreciated the kit for what it is, I have faith the ZM Bf 109G will be the best kit of the type, period, hopefully be a best seller, and help ZM fund their more esoteric releases.

As has been said, we should appreciate what we've got, and those kits on their way. I remember when Matchbox said they were doing no more 1/32 kits, and it looked very much like the scale was dead.

I find it interesting that they haven't stated what specific variant of the G that it will be, hopefully several, as far as I am concerned.