ZOUKEI MURA 2019-2020 - NEW P-51B/C, Bf-109G and Ar-234 ANNOUNCED!!!!!!

Jan_G

1 hour ago, Eagle Driver said:

The only thing that I imply is that Revell kits are far lesser than Tamiya...

If Revell suits you, I am happy. It is good to know that if you are aiming for achieving the effects that OOTB Tamiya will have, you will PAY. With your time and skills. Energy is wasted in one way or another.

It's a hobby. We build plastic replicas of aircraft. I guess everyone is involved for their own reasons. There is some flawed logic there. 

I don't see how time spent enjoying improving a kit is time and energy wasted. That's WHY I sit at a bench. I've spent two years trying to improve a 1/24 Airfix Mustang and I've thoroughly enjoyed every frustrating, daunting  and satisfying moment of it. I also understand that many would rather start with a kit that needs nothing added and want to enjoy the finishing. 

As for the Revell P-51D, in some aspects it's better than the Tamiya. I'm thinking of the wings here. It is the result of a rivet-counter's efforts, and I thank him for that. It's a very competent and accurate kit. 

Maybe ZM and Tamiya are for lazy modellers...and before anyone jumps on my head...please!! I am kidding!!! I have both. They are a ton of work in their own way, hours of enjoyment with less frustration. 

I agree with Bigg Tim, to each his own. 

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

Tamiya, Revell, ZM, what is the difference, it is the starting point, none define a modeler as "lazy."  Maybe a modeler wants a quick simple build, the Revell 109G and Spitfire kits fit the bill nicely, they also happen to be cheap.  

Many of us are not satisfied with what comes in the box of a revell kit.  If the Revell Spit was our only choice for a 1/32 Spit.  There are many on this website who would spend over $100 in aftermarket accessories to make a model with detail like you get in a ZM or Tamiya kit out of the box.  Others might spend 100s of hours scratch building those details.  

We have a diverse market where we can choose our starting point and price point.  If I bought a Revell kit, I would tend to replace the cockpit on most of them as well as some other details.  In many cases to build a Revell Spitifire IX, I would spend as much money as the tamiya kit would cost personally.  On the other hand with the Tamiya kit, I typically add new wheels, seat belts and the barracuda Mk IX cockpit upgrades.  So I spend a little but I buy the base kit on sale so I spend no more than I would on a Revell kit.  

Then I just like the way the tamiya kit goes together.  I would be personally a happier model to build a Tamiya Mk IX straight out of the box than a Revell IX straight out of the box.  That is just me though.  I don't expect anyone else to feel the same.

I have yet to buy my first ZM kit, but it is coming soon.  

From my one and only ZM kit I have had the chance to start building which is their latest offering I am not sure why people are putting their plastic up there next to Tamiiya as it's not there yet by some margin from what I have experienced so far. I would say it's much closer to  Revell than Tamiya but that's my own experience from building twin engined aircraft from all three companies. Every one has different opinions  on  each manufacturer from what they want out of a kit be it accuracy or value for money or whatever.

Regards. Andy

On November 23, 2018 at 12:14 PM, Jan_G said:

Same for me Padraic with the Ar-234

Not so much into P-51B/C and no interest in 109 at all. But Im happy for all guys who will enjoy it :D

Really I was sure that ZM will announce Me-410 and new P-38.

Nevermind, their Ki-45  is more than great and with Hs-129 coming I can see nice time spend with their kits in upcoming months :)

jan

I provided the same guesses for the German ac.  I really wanted an early Bf-109B,C or D.  My Ki-45 is on order so I will work with that.

Rick

On 11/24/2018 at 11:18 AM, Eagle Driver said:

... Energy is wasted in one way or another.

...and some of us have more time/energy to waste than money.

I have both but for some odd reason I still have trouble

wasting money even tho I could easily afford it.  :shrug:

On 11/24/2018 at 11:57 AM, R Palimaka said:

As for the Revell P-51D, in some aspects it's better than the Tamiya. I'm thinking of the wings here.

That's OK Richard , some detail fanatics 'love' filling in the rivets on

both sides of the wings.  They've got more money than time .   :rolleyes:

And if any of those detail fanatics actually measured the Tamiya kit

they would find that the vertical stabilizer is distinctively too thin.

Funny tho , the clunky Revell stabilizer is not.  :popcorn:

Edited by MikeMaben

24 minutes ago, MikeMaben said:

How nice if you happen to be a modeler who can afford to go to all

the big shows.  I've never seen them at any regionals  :shrug:

Amen. Phoenix was the first nats for me in my life, and the last or LONG time. I got to meet Mr. ZM, but I still couldn't afford to buy a kit from them yet, especially after the cost of the trip!!

I went to NATS once, when it was in driving distance of my home.  That is the only way I would go.  I have the option of going to NATS regional meetings once a month now but have not made it yet because I would rather work on a model than go to a meeting.  Same with NATS I would rather purchase a few kits than travel long distance.  I look foreword the the new ZM kits.

The post above regarding Tamiya Horizontal stabilizer thickness vs Revell seems pretty hair splitting.  I have built two Tamiya Mustangs and that is a fantastic kit.  Personally I will build another Tamiya Mustang over the Revell kit and eventually will.  

Edited by cbk57

5 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

How nice if you happen to be a modeler who can afford to go to all

the big shows.  I've never seen them at any regionals  :shrug:

There are a lot of modelers who can afford and actually do go to all the shows. I am not one of them, because I prefer spending my money on actual aircraft.

Having the means to buy expensive kits or going wherever you want is somehow being condemned here. Why? What's wrong with that?

And it is no wonder why you haven't seen ZM at the regionals. I bet you don't expect Madonna or Metallica to visit the nighbourhood bar, now do ya?

5 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

...and some of us have more time/energy to waste than money.

I have both but for some odd reason I still have trouble

wasting money even tho I could easily afford it.  :shrug:

That's OK Richard , some detail fanatics 'love' filling in the rivets on

both sides of the wings.  They've got more money than time .   :rolleyes:

And if any of those detail fanatics actually measured the Tamiya kit

they would find that the horizontal stabilizer is distinctively too thin.

Funny tho , the clunky Revell stabilizer is not.  :popcorn:

Interestingly, this subject somehow turned into rivet counting. 

Me, I am far from rivet counting. But I am all about quality. Of plastic, of transparent parts of engineering. None of which Revell has to offer. I've built their 109, seen their Fw-190 and 262.

Mediocrity. And mediocrity is a sin IMHO. Actually I read that on a car add :) But I agree.

So what if the stabilizer is better? Even the broken clock gets to be right twice a day.

Accuracy in Revell kits? They don't even put swastikas inside. What a joke. And I know the reason, to spare someone's will to explain it to me further down.

By the way, I have seen up close and very personal He-219 from Revell and from ZM. Let me implode in laughter. Quietly. 

By the way spending money is pretty much an art.

You have to learn to do it. No matter how much you have, you might still not know how to use it wisely. There are billionaires eating at Mcdonalds every day. Riding the bus.

The thread is about Zoukei-Mura. One of the Top 3 kit manufacturers in the World currently. Probably number 1.

How come junk as Revell made its way into that? Have you seen Revell's boxes? Plastic? Clears? 

Let's get serious now, can we?

P.S. If you want to continue, why don't we start comparing Paasce VL with H&S Infinity or Custom Micron? Or Tesla Model S with Honda?

One last thing to the Revell fans here. Humor me:

Get in touch with Revell about their kit and a flaw that it has. See what happens.

Do the same thing with Zoukei-Mura. See what happens.

Good luck!

33 minutes ago, Eagle Driver said:

The thread is about Zoukei-Mura. One of the Top 3 kit manufacturers in the World currently. Probably number 1.

How come junk as Revell made its way into that? Have you seen Revell's boxes? Plastic? Clears? 

Let's get serious now, can we?

I think it was from around page 2 onwards when you started giving your views about all things Revell.

:)

Edited by PhilB

Well should I remind that if we had only ZM and Tamiya this site would be named LSR (large scale rarities)?

Love or hate some companies but it is that diversity and competition that resulted in a LSP DB of some thousands of kits! 

Some manufacturers repeatedly frustrated me (Trumpeter being the best example) but I am still waiting for a ZM Swordfish or a Tamiya Arado 196...

;-)

For me, very personally, Revell has a logo that's existed since childhood in the 1960s and is what models are all about. And half a century later there's the cash for bigger and more detailed kits that would have been just a wide eyed fantasy for that child all those years ago! 

If Z-M had been around as long as Revell it would have its fair share of simple, ancient kits as well as the exquisite new stuff. 

The Nazi fighters were churned out in desperation during the last year or more of that dreadful conflict, many using slave labour, and some were probably a lot rougher looking than your pretty little boxed de luxe miniature edition from Japan. 

Having said that, I really, genuinely, wished Z-M would do more indigenous Axis aircraft. We're overdue a top drawer Ki-43, a bubble top Ki-61, radial Ki-100 and aicraft like the Dinah, Seiran etc. 

And Thunderbird 2, with different pods. 

Tony