ZOUKEI MURA 2019-2020 - NEW P-51B/C, Bf-109G and Ar-234 ANNOUNCED!!!!!!

Jan_G

11 hours ago, Eagle Driver said:

And who Revell are aiming with their kits is beyond me actually. Especially with their Mustang. 

They are aiming for modellers like me - and many thousands of modellers like me. Modellers who will happily pay £30 for a kit, rather than £90, and who don’t mind a bit of good old fashioned “modelling” if, heaven forbid, a part has to be trimmed or filed a little to fit. Modellers who don’t care if a panel line is 0.0005mm out of place, or the fact the *nose/tail/whatever other bit you want to insert here* doesn’t align exactly with whoever’s plans are currently in vogue. 

Just my 2c worth of course...

Tom

10 minutes ago, tomprobert said:

They are aiming for modellers like me - and many thousands of modellers like me. Modellers who will happily pay £30 for a kit, rather than £90, and who don’t mind a bit of good old fashioned “modelling” if, heaven forbid, a part has to be trimmed or filed a little to fit. Modellers who don’t care if a panel line is 0.0005mm out of place, or the fact the *nose/tail/whatever other bit you want to insert here* doesn’t align exactly with whoever’s plans are currently in vogue. 

Just my 2c worth of course...

Tom

In that particular case, thank god for rivet-counters!

Why else we would need the new toolings?

Why won't we model from wood and make our own panel lines and rivets?

Yes, you have to pay for Zoukei-Mura and Tamiya. And you have to pay for a good meal in a decent restaurant. Or a nice car.

And in the end you get what you payed for. In  your case you pay with your time. This should be clear enough.

Revell kits are a junk in my opinion. That are my two cents. I've seen the canopy of their 262. No thank you. Better have 72nd scale Eduard MiG-21, rather than play the big game and get a kit that is lacking essential elements defining a kit of a 21st century tooling standard.

Jeez! Tamiya Mustang is not that expensive and even if it is 3 times the price of Revell it is 10 times the quality.

Every single post I've read so far /since its release/ it bumped me. Why, oh why would somebody pay for mediocrity!??! Is the price the most important thing? 

If it is, simply change the scale then.

P.S. To the guy who mentioned providing for the family. Yeah. I understand. That is the reason why I don't own a real P-51 like Tom Cruise. I have to provide and I have no money for that. I simply scale down. 32 times. Maybe its not a bad idea when one cannot afford to go big enough? I can't. I wish, but I don't complain.

Edited by Eagle Driver

+2 for Tom

I've said here before that I'm lucky now to be able to spring for ZM on a cost basis, but can very clearly recall when £££ were tight and family priorities took precedence (quite rightly) over hobbies. I haven't forgotten that, or how it felt. After all, this is a hobby.

If you are lucky enough for cost not be an issue then you are fortunate. But not everybody is.

I am sorry for the second post, I got sick of editing.

Now I want to be clear:

I mean no offence. But it is beyond me, /and with a LOT/ why in this forum where all I see are mostly professionals with stunning works and beautiful models, such mediocrity as Revell's last 3-4 toolings is so warmly welcomed. 

I would understand if I've read a praise of Airfix new 72nd scale kits or how good KP models were for their time. In some forum about those scales with 101 000 members.

But here, praising Revell AFTER we already have Tamiya Mustang /never mind even better ZM/... 

Wow.

Edited by Eagle Driver

4 minutes ago, Padraic Conway said:

+2 for Tom

I've said here before that I'm lucky now to be able to spring for ZM on a cost basis, but can very clearly recall when £££ were tight and family priorities took precedence (quite rightly) over hobbies. I haven't forgotten that, or how it felt. After all, this is a hobby.

If you are lucky enough for cost not be an issue then you are fortunate. But not everybody is.

If you ask me, the real problem comes from somewhere else.

IF, ...if.... you are buying to build, you won't be bothered paying $100 for a kit, since this kit will take 3-5 months of your time. At least. That is what, around $2 per day for that period?

A kit a year, isn't that much right?

IF, on the other hand you are buying to STASH, like in the real world most of the modelers do, then YES, ZM and Tamiya are pricey. Why would pay for a box that will sit in the closet either way? Better pay less.

It's is all a matter of taste and what one can afford to buy with their budget.  To compare Revell releases to ZM is like comparing a Ford to a Mercedes.  They both get you safely from point A to point B, but one does it in grander and more opulent style.  For me generally, there is simply no comparison between the two releases.  ZM' Superwing Series is in a totally different class. 

There have been some Revell releases that compare favorably to the ZM kits.  These kits usually come with complete engines (The Arado 196 series and Focke Wulf Fw 190A and F series come to mind.)  Revell seems to want to skip the engine on the in-line engine aircraft.  I personally like engines in my 1/32 builds.  If I am going to skip the engine, I might as well be building in a smaller scale.

5 minutes ago, Eagle Driver said:

If you ask me, the real problem comes from somewhere else.

IF, ...if.... you are buying to build, you won't be bothered paying $100 for a kit, since this kit will take 3-5 months of your time. At least. That is what, around $2 per day for that period?

A kit a year, isn't that much right?

IF, on the other hand you are buying to STASH, like in the real world most of the modelers do, then YES, ZM and Tamiya are pricey. Why would pay for a box that will sit in the closet either way? Better pay less.

This....

I bought the Tamiya F4U-1D back in July.  I’m 75% done.   Probably be completely wrapped up by end of year.  That’s 5 months of pure modeling enjoyment.  Rolls out to about a dollar per day.   I spend 5 times more at Starbucks. 

I suppose I could have built another POS Revell -109G-6 and finished it in a 2-3 weeks but the cost per day would be about the same.    

23 minutes ago, Eagle Driver said:

I am sorry for the second post, I got sick of editing.

Now I want to be clear:

I mean no offence. But it is beyond me, /and with a LOT/ why in this forum where all I see are mostly professionals with stunning works and beautiful models, such mediocrity as Revell's last 3-4 toolings is so warmly welcomed. 

I would understand if I've read a praise of Airfix new 72nd scale kits or how good KP models were for their time.

But here, praising Revell AFTER we already have Tamiya Mustang /never mind even better ZM/... 

Wow.

You’re not causing any offence at all as far as I’m concerned. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I was merely replying to your inquiry as to who Revell kits appeal to. 

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with rivet-counting either, if that floats your boat, but I think the majority of those who buy models really don’t care for total accuracy - they’re very happy with a model that looks like the original, is reasonably priced for what you get, and is fun to build. To me, Revell fit perfectly into that equation, even if I have to actually “build it” rather than throw a bit of glue in and give it a shake. 

I can also appreciate your desire to buy a ‘more accurate’ if more expensive model. Nothing wrong with that at all - if it’s a subject I’m particularly passionate about, I do the same. But to question why modellers buy Revell and the like will always get the same answers:

1) They’re good value for money - you get a lot of plastic for a reasonable price;

2) Most modellers don’t care passionately enough about total accuracy (even if the recent Mustang for example is very good indeed);

3) They simply want a quick, relatively enjoyable build out of the box;

4) Like me, many think £90+ is a lot of money for a single-engine WWII fighter and unless, as I said earlier, that particular aircraft isn’t their passion, a Revell kit ticks all the boxes. 

At at the end of the day it’s each to their own... and people talk with their wallets. Revell Mustangs seem to be selling like hot-cakes so they must be doing something right and many of us are, as you say, prepared to pay for “mediocracy” (as you see it).

Tom

Edited by tomprobert
Typos

This conversation has been had ad nauseum for years, and it will NEVER be resolved, so can we just say "each to his own", and just leave it at that? It's great to have a selection that fits all skill levels and budgets. You don't need to argue over it, for goodness sake. 

Edited by BiggTim

Well, yes, yes and yes.

What started me up actually was the comment that Revell are about to release their 32nd scale Me-262 A.

And I thought, "So who cares?" 

I don't know about you, I am waiting on more Tamiya 32nd scales and I am passionate /for lack of better words/ about ALL ZM releases.

With time, I came to the conclusion that best scales are 32nd and 24th for single engine WWI and WWII planes. F-16 too.

For Su-27, MiG-31 - 48th is best for me. No matter the price, I would buy the best, since I swallowed the bitter bite for far too long with Italeri and Revell in the 90s.

There comes a time when price stops to bear any meaning.

Better one good kit in a year, than two or more mediocre. At least for me.

But yes, please let's get back on the Gustav. I would kill for a Gustav. 

Have one from Eduard in 48th and its lovely. But its darn too small and it gives me the creeps.

Some of those Revell kits are bloody fantastic, Ju 88, He 111, Ar 196 etc, I'm currently building the ZM Ki-45 and honestly I think quality wise it is no better than those Revell kits I've mentioned but everyone has there own opinions. 

Regards.Andy 

43 minutes ago, Eagle Driver said:

P.S. To the guy who mentioned providing for the family. Yeah. I understand. That is the reason why I don't own a real P-51 like Tom Cruise. I have to provide and I have no money for that. I simply scale down. 32 times. Maybe its not a bad idea when one cannot afford to go big enough? I can't. I wish, but I don't complain.

1. That would be me :)

2. I can't afford to go Zoukei Mura /Tamiya prices (yet)

3. But yes you do. You imply that people who buy Revell kits are in some way lesser to yourself because we cannot afford the 'better' kits.

I am not a rivet counter and those that are, more power to you. The revell kits are of enough detail that my mediocre skills can manage and within my budget. 

4 minutes ago, AlanG said:

1. That would be me :)

2. I can't afford to go Zoukei Mura /Tamiya prices (yet)

3. But yes you do. You imply that people who buy Revell kits are in some way lesser to yourself because we cannot afford the 'better' kits.

I am not a rivet counter and those that are, more power to you. The revell kits are of enough detail that my mediocre skills can manage and within my budget. 

The only thing that I imply is that Revell kits are far lesser than Tamiya. And they are actually half the price. Three - five - ten times less quality.

Other than that it is interpretations which are far from my goal and the subject.

But if you ask me, for me, if I am a lesser man than someone who can afford to buy a WWII plane and fly it for fun, oh yes sir, indeed I am. I am dumber and not talented/smart/resourceful enough. I hope that someday I will be though.

If Revell suits you, I am happy. It is good to know that if you are aiming for achieving the effects that OOTB Tamiya will have, you will PAY. With your time and skills. Energy is wasted in one way or another.

ZM announcing a 1/32 P-51B kit has made my year. :)

I, for one, absolutely adore Zoukei Mura kits. I'll will definitely buy at least 6 of their P-51B kits, probably closer to a dozen of them. That's just to build all of the P-51Bs I've had in mind for the last 40+ years that I've been waiting for a passable P-51B kit in 1/32. Once decal manufacturers jump on this kit, I may even end up with more than a dozen P-51Bs on the shelves.

I have 10 ZM kits, of which I've built 3.5 of them. So far, anyway. Already planning on getting the next long-nose Ki-45 boxing, as well as the Hs 129B kit when that hits the streets. Seriously hoping that ZM's Ar 234 is released as a four-engine C. Their announced '109G, while not as high on my priority list as their early Fw 190s, will also be a must-build for me. 

HKM? I have exactly one of their kits: their Do 335B-6. If there was even the slightest hope that ZM would release the B-6 variant, I wouldn't have bought that one either. If/when HKM ever releases their own P-51B kit, it will have to be pretty damn charming to get my money. 

D