Mosquito cockpit question

alaninaustria

Hello all, can somebody explain to me how the cockpit floor directly in front of the navigator seat was stored during entry and exit on the deHav B Mk IV series II. Did it hinge upwards or was it removed and placed to the side? Does anybody have any photos to share?

Thanks again,

Cheers

Alan

Wow, you guys are amazing! Thanks! So, the outer hatch hinged downwards and the inner floor hatch (not to be confused with James Hatch!) was also hinged to lift upwards - for entry and egress... marvelous! Thank you so much! Now, to my second problem... I know there was very little metal used in this aircraft and I found a drawing once that showed all the metal surfaced areas but I can’t find it. Does anybody have such information??

Thanks

Cheers

Alan

Gawd....  Good luck trying to bail out of a Mosquito in an emergency.  Unbuckle harness, crouch down in narrow cockpit, whilst aircraft is gyrating all over the place.  Turn latch for sub-floor, open subfloor and secure in vertical position, jettison exterior hatch, struggle through narrow opening whilst encumber with parachute.  All the while, try to ignore pilot who is screaming at you to move faster!  Only guy who had it worse than the NAV was the pilot.   

Nice pics KKarlsen, thanks very much for posting. 

Edited by John1

I found this:

My trusty Mosquito FB VI (January 1944 edition) Pilot's Notes, in the emergencies section notes starting in paragraph 74:

74. Parachute exit. - Through entrance door, which must be jettisoned by pulling red handle (80) on the door and kicking out. Do not touch the normal handle. If possible, feather starboard propeller before baling out.

75. Crash exit.

Roof panel - pull down red lever in front of panel and push panel out.

76. Crash axe is stowed at back of pilot's seat.

77. First-aid outfit is stowed under pilot's seat.

78. Ditching

(i) The aircraft has been successfully ditched by day, but whenever possible, bale out rather than ditch.
(ii) When ditching, jettison roof panel but keep entrance door closed.
(iii) Lower flaps 25°.

But I also saw reference to an escape hatch in the canopy.

And then there is this:

On page 32 of "Aeroplane's" special edition "Mosquito; Britain's World War II Wooden Wonder", the PFF / Main Force bomber version's Parachute Drill is published:

PILOT gives order "Prepare to abandon aircraft".

NAV acknowledges, removes nav board and the supporting rod from socket and stows board in the nose

BOTH Ensure that ther helmet chin straps are unclipped and that their K-Dingies are correctly attached unless it has been definetely established that that the aircraft is over land, when the Nav has to disconnect his K-Dingy.

PILOT ensures that bomb doors are closed and turns oxygen to "Emergency"and continues to breathe deeply.

NAV turns oxygen to "Emergency" and commences to breathe deeply; releases safety harness releases hinges and lock of inner escape hatch. Nav stows inner hatch in the nose / Nav releases pressure in cabin and clips to starboard side. passes oxygen tube from right-hand side, under his legs to the left side.

PILOT when abandoning by parachute becomes inevitable, gives order "Jump! Jump!" releases safety harness and lowers seat to the fully down position.

NAV acknowledges, removes parachute pack from stowage in nose and places it on Pilot's knees: jettisons outer escape hatch by pushing jettison pedal and catch with his left foot. He then jettisons inner hatch and nav board through escape exit, unclips oxygen tube from his harness and turns left to face aft.

NAV clips on parachute pack, ensuring that oxygen tube is passed outside the pack, removes his helmet, throwing it with oxygen tube into the rear of the aircraft, steps backwards and lowers himself through escape exit.

PILOT as Nav is leaving aircraft , unclips his oxygen tube from his harness and draws his feet backwards. Grabbing the hand-hold (under front coaming) with his right hand, he stands up, lifting his parachute as high as possible to clear seat and side arms, turns half left by pivoting on right toe and brings his left foot over the seat to a position just aft of the escape exit.

PILOT removes his helmet and faces aft, then lowers himself through escape exit.

BOTH will find it a help to hold the starboard side of the Pilot's seat with the right hand when leaving through escape exit.Should the navigator find it difficult to pass through the exit, the Pilot should assist his egress by giving him a good push with his foot.

Edited by Gerhard

2 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

That's what I was going to say as well.  Nobody could catch them!

Maybe during high altitude recon missions but they certainly took their share of losses when flying anti-ship / strike missions.