AMT 1991 Silverado 454 SS-Completed-03/21

mustang1989

Right on Chris! lol 

Chassis is now complete. I painted it all different shades and textures of black with some of the highlights/ raised areas brought out with a very subtle touch of silver lead pencil. The exhaust, even though it's hard to make out in the photos, was one of the hardest paint wise I've had to do yet. For starters it was LACED with seam lines down both sides of the exhaust pipes, converters and mufflers so I first had to remove all of that. I black based the complete exhaust system and shot it all with a coat of Metalizing Aluminum through an airbrush. Next I drilled out both tail pipe ends. After that I lightly coated both converters with a coat of Tamiya Titanium gold and after that dried a light dry brushing of Tamiya Burnt Blue powder from their engine weathering kit. Both mufflers got a treatment of Matte Aluminum Bare Metal Foil for an added effect. The fuel tank was also flat black based and shot with a very light coat of Alclad Polished Aluminum. After that dried I dry brushed a light coat of ground up black pastel onto it to dull it down.
For the front suspension I did make the front wheels steerable as I've always wanted a model with posable front wheels. It was a lot easier to do with this kit than it has been with some of the builds that I've done. The ones in the past and really delicate and finicky parts or they had no option for steering at all. As a matter of fact this whole kit has been a true breath of fresh air in comparison to some of the older crap Revell kits that I've built where I had to do a TON of work just to get them to look even half decent.

I still have to move the rear tires inwards a little but I've just about got the wheel/ tire and stance set up where I want it. The chassis isn't adhered to the body yet which will pull the body down to set a better stance but you get the idea anyways.

bN591t.jpg

I also received my re-mastered decals from Thomas at Speedway Decals.

pEFZXK.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I had initially primed the interior pieces to include the tub. I was looking at it even with the ejector pin marks on the floor and thinking to myself, "Yeah.....that's gonna......no....no it aint gonna work!!" The ejector pin mark, even though it's in a terrible place I can actually deal with. More on that in a minute. That chintzy brake and accelerator pedal just isn't gonna do at all.

So ………...I put my thinkin' cap on.. :hmm:

I found another floorboard from a parts kit that I've got in the stash and cut the whole section out of this floor board. Then I cut a section out from the parts donor.

Then the replacement piece was glued into place.

We'll be using some PE pedals to have a little more true to scale and true to references look. Now to address those disgusting ejector pin marks. Those...…..will be covered up by these floor mats that I acquired which just came in the mail a couple of days ago.

Just to catch up to where I'm currently at with this build as of this morning.... I've been working on the color tones and surface textures with the differences in the seat fabric, carpet and on the door panels by using different colored pastels. You can see the contrasting colors on the seat between the weaved and the smooth sections of the drivers seat. That seat will directly contrast the passengers side seat which hasn't been touched up yet. I've got the door handle/ switch bezel painted but still have to fill in the details on those and then get the foot pedals taken care of.

Progress so far:

Those are cool mats.  Do you ever simulate dirt in your carpet?  Cuz once it's in, it never totally comes out.

You know....  My father had an 88' Silverado.  It caught fire shortly after he'd arrived home from work in the wee hours.  He heard the tire blow from the far end of the house while I in the room next to the garage slept soundly.  We dragged it from the garage with my car and some chain.  It was written off as a complete loss by the insurance company then the odyssey began...

My father decided he had to have (this was 1990) King cab with the long bed.  At the time there were only two for sale in Michigan at the time as it was the end of the sales year...  We'd gone to a lot of dealerships and finally ended up finding one he'd accept in Monroe, Michigan.  But once we got there, there was a delay as the night before some entrepreneurs had lifted every truck onto blocks and removed the wheels.

Gaz

Thanks guys. 

Gaz: Sometimes I do but it's mostly on military builds. This one here is going to be built as what's known as a "Day 2" build. That is, mods that were done on the second day of ownership. On this one it's just going to be wheels that get upgraded. Everything else is as it came from the factory. No dirt on the carpets of a vehicle that new.  ;)

Ok gang. I've got the interior tub pretty much done except for the foot pedals. I really like this photo as it shows the color contrast on the seats very well. I finished up the passengers seat this morning with the color contrast. I left the pleated part of the seat the original color that I painted it and used a mixture of red with a little black ground up pastel and dry brushed it onto smooth parts of the seat to slightly darken the color tone for a subtle yet highly noticeable contrast. I was surprised with the results. Everything is adhered into place. The door handle/ switch bezels and all details have been painted here and I thought I'd add a Coke to the cup holder. I mean....why not? I'm smilin' so why not have a Coke to go with it? :whistle:

Wow Joe, awesome work, man! Love this, I learn stuff all the time here on LSP. I was more a “blue oval” guy but since “blue oval” dropped the Ranger now I own a Tacoma. Love it! Thanks for sharing! And, from a former 4H leader, good luck with that pig!

Jimbo