AMT 1991 Silverado 454 SS-Completed-03/21

mustang1989

I picked this one up a couple of months ago while I was working on the El Camino. This is not only a Holy Grail build for me but also would be a Holy Grail 1:1 vehicle for me. If I could ever get my hands on one for the right price...….  icon_hmm_zps07rcoppf . To be very honest about it, these were not fast trucks from the factory. I think the horsepower rating was right about 225 hp and in 1990 it had a TH400 transmission behind it with 3:73 gears. The transmission being only 3 speed automatic made things difficult in an everyday driver due to the 3:73 gears. I guess GM wanted to captivate a middle age audience with the 454 and the nostalgia of the Turbo 400 automatic. In any case in 1991 they got smart and stuck a 4 speed overdrive transmission behind it to help the driveablity out some. In any case they produced on heckuva good looking vehicle and opened the gate for a slew of fast trucks to follow..... and they are HIGHLY sought after now.

Anyways, Here's the kit:

and for giggles.....an original advertisement photo:

Edited by mustang1989

Shawn: Right you are about the displacment!! 

Kevin: Very cool subject!!!

Gaz: No but I'd be open to give it a shot. It would take a little planning.

Scott: Dude! That is AWESOME!!! 

I'm at no shortage for a reference because I own a 1994 Silverado Extended Cab truck. Late last year I got the hankerin' to yank the 350 and replace it with a warmed over 383 (that still utilizes TBI injection but with Vortec heads) with a freshened up 4L60E, 2000 rpm stall converter and 3:90 gears. It's alot of fun.:D

hyiL69.jpg

30598145-191f-42af-b65f-fc7c2521ab36_zps

Edited by mustang1989

• 2 weeks later...
Ok folks....update time.
This kit has a pretty decent engine with lots of parts. The chrome parts all got stripped to include the rocker covers but other than that it's a pretty complete and detailed engine.

And here we are with the assembled base engine and transmission. Believe it or not....this IS some big time progress for me. 

On 12/7/2018 at 7:42 AM, Shawn M said:

engine looks good!

Thanks Shawn!

On 12/7/2018 at 5:20 PM, Gazzas said:

Looks nice Joe!  Do you ever "rust up" the exhaust manifolds?

Gaz

'Preciate the good word Gaz. It depends......being a Day 2 build I won't do it but I have been known to rust up exhaust's alright.;)

Jumo213buildup002_zps11cef5da.jpg

On 12/7/2018 at 11:31 PM, chrish said:

Looking great!

Thanks Chrish!

• 4 weeks later...

Finished the engine up over the holidays.  I did a couple of tweaks to it after I thought I was done initially. I put a little droop in the ignition wires just behind the cylinder heads as they just didn't look right and that air cleaner was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too high. I shaved some off of the bottom of the air cleaner and installed at the proper height. I also added an ignition coil and some fuel delivery lines. I was going to add some throttle linkage but everything I had was incorrect and it's much to intricate of detail to scratch build and get to look right so I left that part alone. There'll be an intake duct attaching at the air cleaner inlet and mounting on passengers side inner fenderwell later after the engine gets installed into the truck.

Finished 454: