AMT 1991 Silverado 454 SS-Completed-03/21

mustang1989

Oh yes. Both of my black paint jobs have been directly from spray bombs, but while one was almost perfect, right out of the gate, the other (Tamiya gloss black lacquer), turned almost a satin black, so I painted it again with Model Master, and after clear coats, looked quite acceptable, at least to me.

If you don't already have one, I'd strongly advise getting a tack rag. With black, in particular, it seems that every dust particle in the house is drawn directly to it.

32 minutes ago, mustang1989 said:
  • I've got one but it doesn't make much difference in my house. I've got two  dogs (Idiot 1 and Idiot 2) and they shed hair everywhere:whistle:

Then it's "display case" time, it seems. My roommate and I are still kicking around the idea of a display case for the extra bedroom, as both of us have stuff we'd rather not get all dusty.

2 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

Then it's "display case" time, it seems. My roommate and I are still kicking around the idea of a display case for the extra bedroom, as both of us have stuff we'd rather not get all dusty.

You know it. Everything I build goes into my display case. I was running out of room but I had one of my glass shop vendors cut me 4 more glass shelves for it. :D

and now.....we come to the finish. I'll be digging up a dealer tag to put on the back of it but that'll take me a day or so. Couldn't wait to post.

These trucks have always been an interest of mine as they were a sleek looking truck with an out with an "in your face" and bold appearance. Although not fast by any means with 230 horsepower, they were aggressive looking, were among the fastest O.E.M. trucks out there at the time and they set the stage for the muscle trucks that followed in the years to come. It took me around 5 months to complete this one with most of the challenges being paint and the ending assembly of installing the body onto the frame. With a few pitfalls to work around it was a good kit to work with overall.

16 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

You know it. Everything I build goes into my display case. I was running out of room but I had one of my glass shop vendors cut me 4 more glass shelves for it. :D

That's a really great idea I never thought of! I am going to do that, too... how much did each shelf set you back? I have a modestly sized curio cabinet from American Furniture Warehouse.

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

On 3/21/2019 at 9:54 PM, LSP_K2 said:

Nice end result, Joe,... very nice.

5 hours ago, Gazzas said:

What an awesome finish!  Just beautiful!

GAz

Thanks you guys for your comments and for following along with me here.:D

Edited by mustang1989