AMT 1991 Silverado 454 SS-Completed-03/21

mustang1989

3 hours ago, Gazzas said:

Brave man!  I never feel comfortable modifying the clear parts.

Gaz

I've gotten to where it doesn't bother me too much anymore. Took a few mistakes to learn though. lol 

I got the base color on this morning. I still need to do some wet sanding here and there to remove a couple of dust specks and smooth some areas out. I've got her in the drying booth now for the next couple of days.

Got the gloss coat on. Here in the photos this is about 6 hours after application so this is already nice n' dry to touch. It'll be another 3-4 days till I bring all of this out of the drying booth. I'm really stoked about how this finish is going to look on the completed build.

I was pretty happy to make out the bulb letters in the middle of the light reflection on the body :

That really looks excellent, Joe. That black is going to look so awesome with the red interior.

Painting/clear coating and polishing the paint, is one of my favorite car modeling things to do. My '69 GTX is probably one of my favorites so far, though the '68 Charger looks pretty snazzy too, at least as far as I'm concerned anyway.

Thanks guys. While my wife was working on her paper for school and my son was on X-Box last night I found myself at the bench for an amazing 3+ hours which is what I usually get over a time span of 3 days! I was able to get significant amounts of work done on this puppy. After that long stint of work I am now nearing completion of this truck. Finishing shots should be coming pretty soon.

Well guys...………...I had more done on this thing than I thought. the only real setback was that the exhaust tailpipes hung down too low. I had to break out the mini torch and carefully shield all the surrounding chassis and apply a little heat to it to tuck it back up where it belonged. The ending steps are a bit finicky with the front bumper being sandwiched between the body and the chassis but I've now got that done. I still need to re-paint the tail gate and install the upper radiator hose, side rear view mirrors and do some last minute clean up, polishing and a couple of other things but this one's almost there....

29 minutes ago, mustang1989 said:

Thanks Kevin. Still alot of clean up work to do though. That black is a difficult color to get looking right.

I hear ya' there. I've only tried black twice so far. The first time looked fabulous, the second time, not so much, but I'll keep playing with it until it looks the way I want it to.

Kevin: Black is a finicky color to get right and does have different results from build to build it seems but I've found the winning formula for me after a few times in dealing with it.

Gaz: Thanks buddy.

…………..and completed engine bay.