RAF P-51 1a

spacewolf

I recently picked up the Hobbycraft P-51 1a ( kit # 1713 )  for cheap. While I am not a P-51 D fan, I do like the B/C marks and while this one is an A it does have British markings as they were used for ground attack and photo recon. I don't have any ref for this bird and was wondering if anyone could educate me in the shortcomings of the kit ( it looks not bad though simplified) and point me towards ref and upgrade aftermarket stuff.

Thanks for any help

I've never seen one in this scale, but I understand that it's effectively an upscaled rendition of the old Accurate Miniatures 1:48 kit.  Having built a few of those, I can say that if that is the case it's very buildable and you can produce an accurate rendition from the box, but if you want the real close-up detail you'll have to turn to aftermarket or exercise your scratch-building skills.

Richard Franks' book is very useful.  https://www.valiant-wings.co.uk/airframe--miniature-no6-44-p.asp

Edited by MikeC

Spacewolf  I converted one to a Mk I back in 09.  You can see it here.  

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/23080-conversion-hobbycraft-mustang-mk-1a-to-a-mustang-1/&page=1

Really enjoyed it. It is very simplified, built a new cockpit with cannibalized photoetch. The Aires wheel well set is marketed as being for a 51B but it actually looks like a 51A wheel well. Vacuformed new canopy as well; as I recall kit canopy is decently shaped but really thick.  

Also added new resin wheels and flaps.

Personally I like the early Hobbycraft Mustang kids ; I've got the 51A and Apache kits waiting in the wings, also have the Vector 1/32 51A and Apache cockpit sets for them. 

You may be able to use the Vector cockpit sets to assist with detailing the kit cockpit. While not exact for a Mustang Ia, I think it would be a good starting point.

Cheers and enjoy!

Dave/Ironman1945

Edited by LSP_Kevin
Made link live.

The main problem of the kit is the far too thin and pointy spinner. It should actually be similar to a Mustang B or D one but with three propeller blade slots rather than four. Similarly the nose should be enlarged with plastic strip in front of the first panel line to mate the correct spinner diameter. Besides that, the kit is dimensionally sound. This is just a matter of detailing.