Aim-9x Sidewinders

Aircav1980

Currently building Trumpeter's 1/32 F/A-18F Super Hornet Kit. Wanting to put a set of Aim-9X sidewinders on it. I am having trouble finding the Aim-9X sidewinders aftermarket. I know the kit comes with some but reading the reviews for Trumpeter's stand alone air to air weapons kits they say the Aim-9X missed are very inaccurate. Can anyone tell me if anyone makes a nice aftermarket set of them? Are the ones in the F/A-18F kit the same as the stand alone kit. Also, I have looked at a set of super detail Aim-9Ps. Would they be a good representation of the 9 if I changed the markings? Thanks for your help.

Chris

Edited by Aircav1980

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I am building a set of Zactomodel Aim-9Gs now for a Tamiya F-4J. I am putting the missiles on LAU-7/A launchers. Can you guys tell me were the umbilical is supposed to attach?  I have looked through all of my references and online and have not found a picture. Thanks

1 hour ago, Aircav1980 said:

Ok, so I am building a set of Zactomodel Aim-9Gs now for a Tamiya F-4J. I am putting the missiles on LAU-7/A launchers. Can you guys tell me were the umbilical is supposed to attach?  I have looked through all of my references and online and have not found a picture. Thanks

Its attached to a connection inside the nose of the launch rail, and automatically severed when the missile is launched.  It’s not normally visible when the missile when the missile is on the rail.  I’d cut it off when mounting it on a rail.

Click the “in action” tab in this link.  It shows a piece of test equipment attached to the umbilical connection inside the launch rail, but the connection is the same.

http://www.marvintest.com/Product.aspx?Model=MTS-3060+AGM-65

This photo shows the missile side of a launch rail.  Note the rectangular cavity in the nose of the rail.  That’s where the umbilical fits in.

US_Navy_FA-18F_Super_Hornet_(NF100,_No.1

Edited by Dave Williams