Sign in to follow this  
CANicoll

London hobby shop recommendations please!

Hi folks: 

I may have a bit of time this weekend and trying to figure out what to do with it.  If I don't head to the coast - what are the good hobby shops in London worth checking out?  I'm over by the ExCel Center/Canary Wharf area.

Cheers guys!

Chris

It's been a couple of years since I was in London, but I'm pretty sure there are no real hobby shops in Central London. There is still Hannants satellite shop in Colindale near the RAFM at Hendon which is worth a visit if you make a day of it and also go to the museum, but don't expect to see the same range of products as in the on-line shop, which is in Lowestoft. To be honest, there is so much to do and see in London I would not put hobby stores high on my list of priorities.

Dr Russ,   Thanks but I used to work in London and have been here many times, so trying something new, as it were.  ;-)  Just was at Scale Model World in Telford for my second time and that was a blast.

I thought about a run up to Hannants but as you pointed out, they have more in the online store.  No worries.

Best,

Chris

20 minutes ago, CANicoll said:

Dr Russ,   Thanks but I used to work in London and have been here many times, so trying something new, as it were.  ;-)  Just was at Scale Model World in Telford for my second time and that was a blast.

I thought about a run up to Hannants but as you pointed out, they have more in the online store.  No worries.

Best,

Chris

So, go to the coast ...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Hannants/@52.4765325,1.7143113,16.5z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x47da1ba81c937f81:0x137d79176668eb83!8m2!3d52.4767074!4d1.7158648

10 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

10 hours ago, CANicoll said:

Thanks.  Only 3 1/2 hours by train so that is very doable to get to the coast.  Cheers.  

Oulton Broad South station is (iirc) a bit of a trek from "Big H", you might do better on the road if you can get a hire car: head out of London on the A12, keep going and follow the signs to Lowestoft and Oulton Broad. Have fun.

Beaches In Canary Wharf Near Me | Day Out With The Kids
https://www.dayoutwiththekids.co.uk/things-to-do/south-east-and-london/greater-london/canary-wharf/water/beaches

Even if you don't get hobby shops some of these places are "quaint" and  have photographing scenery opportunities. Someone like you Chris with a talent for photo shooting might enjoy this... many places on the link are not too far...

Enjoy your stay Inn the UK..

If I had thought about it.... I would have told you about KINGKIT models is TELFORD ...doh!:mental:  forgot.....

Says it's open today but contradicts itself and says it's closed Now although it open at 9am... might be a good idea to phone  and  ask before venturing there !

TJD Models - Hobby Shops - 83 Main Road, Dartford, Kent - Phone Number - Yelp
https://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/tjd-models-dartford-2?osq=Aircraft++model+kits+shops

Maru:  I ended up doing more than a bit of work this morning (and well into this afternoon), but hopefully will wrap up soon and go find somewhere interesting to take the camera. :-)  Hope you are feeling better!

Can I recommend a pub I used to go to in London Camden, it's the Old Eagle an Irish/ Thai pub, it's an odd combination I know but it has a Thai kitchen out the back and is very quick and reasonably priced, the pub itself is festooned with musical instruments and is very relaxed and homely, I spent every Friday lunch in there for 12 years. It's a short walk from the mainline station 'Camden road station, 251 royal college st.

Graham 

Thanks for the restaurant suggestion!  So far this week I've had Lebanese, Chinese, Thai so working my way around the world. :-)  Camden Town is a bit away - but might hit it on my way back from Cambridge, if I make it up there tomorrow. ;-)

I do like Camden Town, very weird, in a pleasant kind of way...

Cheers!

Chris